What Happens in Your Body During a "Cleanse" or "Detox"

This is a great article about the uselessness of cleanses and detoxes. The money paragraph from the story:
Most importantly, a juice cleanse doesn't do anything that your body doesn't already do on its own. Andy Bellatti reminds us that our bodies are already pretty good at removing toxins. If they weren't, and you needed a yearly detox, we'd all probably be dead.

http://lifehacker.com/what-happens-in-your-body-during-a-cleanse-or-detox-1669540259

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Phew. :smile:
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    edited December 2014
    ZOMG whew. I saw this topic and came in to be all indignant, but you're already on the same page :)
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Darn it! :D
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Amazing how two words can get so many people to turn off their brains and open their wallets.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Thanks for sharing :)
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,385 Member
    Oh thank goodness. It's too early for all that sass I was about to bring out.

I wonder how much more we'll have to deal with this myth come the new year and perhaps influx of new MFPers.
  • MadamMina
    MadamMina Posts: 82 Member
    Amazing how two words can get so many people to turn off their brains and open their wallets.

Totally this!

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,139 Member
    People who buy into these schemms seem to miss the fact that if they actually did expel a specific toxin or poison directly related to their marketing that that fact would be promoted big time and I mean "HEADLINES' in their advertising. Or at least I would be making a big deal about how my detox program eliminates said toxin/s in a specific time period. But alas, as we all know they can't do that because it doesn't happen.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    But David Tennant wasn't mentioned at all!
    as7uq25r54p1.gif

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited December 2014
    Oh thank goodness. It's too early for all that sass I was about to bring out.

I wonder how much more we'll have to deal with this myth come the new year and perhaps influx of new MFPers.

"snake oil" has existed for basically all of time. People have always wanted to believe that there is some super easy and magical way to fix their problems.

The diet and fitness industry at large preys on the desperate and the ignorant and profits.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    I was going to say "nothing", but this article works too (in a few more words)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited December 2014
    Someone will have to bump this thread when all the detox noobs start posting after the first of the year.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Someone will have to bump this thread when all the detox noobs start posting after the first of the year.

Yep, we have less than 3 weeks to go.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Food reset. Nice phrase. I've always called my back to basics times a "recalibration".

This should be stickied.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    A proper cleanse or detox consists of lots of leafy greens, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds and other foods that support the liver and kidneys.
  • neanderthin
    Food reset. Nice phrase. I've always called my back to basics times a "recalibration".

This should be stickied.
    Food reset or whatever could show up as a benefit, but I highly doubt the detox spa's would be getting the admission fee's they need to pay for all the naturaopath and nutritional experts found on the property and of course their in house remedies would just collect dust. Eat healthy doesn't sell, magic sells, that's pretty evident and the admission prices and going into the stratosphere, and cell phones are basically not allowed.......people are sheep and like to be herded.

• neanderthin
    edited December 2014
    A proper cleanse or detox consists of lots of leafy greens, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds and other foods that support the liver and kidneys.
    There's cyanide in broccoli and nuts can send people into anaphylaxis shock.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited December 2014

What do you mean by "foods that support the liver and kidneys", sounds like what you've described (plus a protein source) is just a well rounded nutritious diet.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member

If your liver and kidneys are functioning, then what's the purpose of the cleanse?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    This is a great article about the uselessness of cleanses and detoxes. The money paragraph from the story:
    Most importantly, a juice cleanse doesn't do anything that your body doesn't already do on its own. Andy Bellatti reminds us that our bodies are already pretty good at removing toxins. If they weren't, and you needed a yearly detox, we'd all probably be dead.

lifehacker.com/what-happens-in-your-body-during-a-cleanse-or-detox-1669540259

Thanks for the great link.