how to beat plateau

Options
I cant seem to lose any more weight. How did you guys get passed your plateaus??

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Reevulated my food diary.
  • ritaluna1387
    ritaluna1387 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i usually eat like 1,400 calories per day is that too much?
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Like logging errors?
  • marie_leverton
    marie_leverton Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's not too many calories, it is plausibly not quite enough so your body maybe trying to save fat. The alternative is that perhaps you're not eating the right foods? Quite often a change to breakfast can help reinvigorate weightloss. For example, egg white scramble egg with cherry tomatoes and spinach or a small amount of porridge made with soya milk. If you're up for cold food, bananas. Try not too eat something with lots of sugar in first thing, or too much bread. If that doesn't work, try ensuring you space your calories out, if you're active during the day best to eat more calories early and less late on. Do you exercise? What are your 1400 calories made up of (do you eat sweets or something you think may be causing a plateau)?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Theres a big chance you are eating more and moving less than you think.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Do you have a food scale? If not, I suggest buying one and measuring your food. You are probably eating more than you think.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    i usually eat like 1,400 calories per day is that too much?

Have you calculated your TDEE? We can't say if it's too much without your height, weight, and activity level.
  • ritaluna1387
    Options
    for breakfast normally i eat oatmeal with water and green tea, lunch chicken or fish sometimes beef with vegetables, dinner cereal with vanilla soymilk or piece of toast with peanut butter or with avocado, turkey sandwich. i snack on cheese stick, nuts and fruit. but sometimes i just want a bag of hot Cheetos or something i ate a lot before i started this weight loss journey and i just eat it
  • queenliz99
    Options
    But are you tracking the calorie amounts with a scale?
  • ritaluna1387
    Options
    what is TDEE?
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    It may help if you opened your diary.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    That's not too many calories, it is plausibly not quite enough so your body maybe trying to save fat. The alternative is that perhaps you're not eating the right foods? Quite often a change to breakfast can help reinvigorate weightloss. For example, egg white scramble egg with cherry tomatoes and spinach or a small amount of porridge made with soya milk. If you're up for cold food, bananas. Try not too eat something with lots of sugar in first thing, or too much bread. If that doesn't work, try ensuring you space your calories out, if you're active during the day best to eat more calories early and less late on. Do you exercise? What are your 1400 calories made up of (do you eat sweets or something you think may be causing a plateau)?
    I don't understand any of this. Why would changing the foods you eat for breakfast make any difference at all? Your body doesn't store or save fat when you restrict calories, it burns fat. That's what the body uses for fuel when you do not eat enough calories to meet your daily needs. Why suggest bananas then warn against sugar? Bananas are almost pure sugar. For that matter, why would sugar or bread stop weight loss? Why would the time of day you eat make any difference? The types of foods you eat do not cause a plateau.

The extreme likelihood is that the OP is eating much more then they think. This is a VERY common occurrence. Just in the one reply she says she "usually" eats "like" 1400 calories. That's way different from "I consistently eat 1400 calories daily." Also, even if your calorie count is consistent, what about your tracking methods? You may think you are eating 1400 calories consistently but if you estimate portion sizes or use measuring cups and spoons on solid foods, you are VERY likely miscounting your calories. Food should be weighed on a scale and estimation should be as little as possible. Even then people are prone to forget to log things, have cheat days where they don't track calories, etc. Also how long has the OP be stuck at her current weight? Some people call it a plateau this first week they don't lose weight. I don't consider myself in a plateau until I don't lose for 3-4 weeks.
  • ritaluna1387
    edited December 2014
    Options
    no i don't track my food with a scale. like when i eat oatmeal i just go by the serving size on the box
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    no i don't track my food with a scale
    That would be my first adjustment. You can pick one up for cheat on amazon or at walmart. You can also give this thread a read for ideas on how to track more accurately: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

I was shocked when I began weighing foods. I was over eating on almost everything I was eating.
  • stopeatingout
    stopeatingout Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Amen to above post!
  • queenliz99
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    no i don't track my food with a scale
    That would be my first adjustment. You can pick one up for cheat on amazon or at walmart. You can also give this thread a read for ideas on how to track more accurately: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

I was shocked when I began weighing foods. I was over eating on almost everything I was eating.

This is the absolute truth :)
  • queenliz99
    Options
    I was on a "ten year plateau" until I started weighing everything I ate.