how to beat plateau

Options

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    So, you're not logging everything you eat, and when you do log, you're not doing so accurately?
  • ritaluna1387
    ritaluna1387 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i try to go back to write the blank spaces. i use my laptop and i don't know how to go back to the previous day
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smartphone? You can download the app and log from there. It's extremely beneficial if you're away from home.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    i try to go back to write the blank spaces. i use my laptop and i don't know how to go back to the previous day

Click the arrow in your diary to the previous day. You can edit from there.
  • wmpottsjr
    wmpottsjr Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Do a google search for "zig zag method." It is a time tested method to break plateaus. In a nutshell, your body thinks it is starving so your metabolism starts shutting down. If you eat well above your needs for a day or so, your metabolism will begin using fat again on low calorie consumption days. So, 5 or 6 days of calorie deficit followed by 1 or 2 days of calorie excess per week is a good schedule.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    wmpottsjr wrote: »
    Do a google search for "zig zag method." It is a time tested method to break plateaus. In a nutshell, your body thinks it is starving so your metabolism starts shutting down. If you eat well above your needs for a day or so, your metabolism will begin using fat again on low calorie consumption days. So, 5 or 6 days of calorie deficit followed by 1 or 2 days of calorie excess per week is a good schedule.
    Nope, just better tracking of intake is all you need.
  • suevand
    suevand Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The good ol' treadmill.
  • suevand
    suevand Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    no i don't track my food with a scale. like when i eat oatmeal i just go by the serving size on the box

A serving on the label is like the serving on pet food labels. These companies want you to eats lots and buy more of their product.

When I have rasin bran cereal for breakfast, I don't pour one cup but only 1 quarter to half a cup.

• ritaluna1387
    Options
    ok i went as back as i could on my food journal
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Find out what your BMR and you TDEE is and eat between the two. If you have been eating below your BMR continually you may be on a false maintenance level. If so you need to reset things for a while by eating at your TDEE and get back to a true maintenance level. Then start eating between your BMR and TDEE. Weighing your food wouldn't hurt.
  • ritaluna1387
    Options
    @ KeriA i found a TDEE and BMR calculator on IIFYM.com and it calculated my BMR as 1446 and my TDEE as 2178 but i don't know what it means
  • queenliz99
    edited December 2014
    Options
    1446 is what you get if you are comatose and 2178 is your maintenance level
  • ritaluna1387
    Options
    sorry still don't understand. so I should be eating 2178 calories a day??
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Maintenance is what keeps you at the weight you are now. From 2178 subtract 15 to 20% to lose weight.
  • ritaluna1387
    Options
    ok thank you
  • queenliz99
    Options
    ok thank you

:)
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm going to repeat what many others have already said:
    1. Start logging consistently. This means logging everything you consume, everyday.
    2. Buy a food scale. Weigh everything, even prepackaged foods.
    3. Eat at a reasonable and healthy calorie deficit.

If you do all of these things, you will lose weight again. If, after giving it time, you still aren't losing, then it's time to reevaluate again and see a doctor.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Agree with just about everyone. You need a scale and you need to be more diligent and precise in your logging.

Don't use generic or obviously useless entries, e.g. Generic - banana - 1 serving. What does an entry like this even mean?

The more reliable entries are those entries that don't have an asterisk "*" or "generic" or "homemade" preceding them.

The most reliable entries of all are those you create yourself. (assuming that creating as accurate of an entry as possible for your own good is your intent)

Measure solids by weight, and liquids by cups/spoons. Peanut butter isn't a liquid.

Some people measure single-serving prepacked items, like that a single serving bag of Cheetos is the weight the bag claims it is, but I don't go that far. You can though, it can be good practice to become more diligent and precise.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You're eating too much

You aren't weighing your food or logging it

It's not a plateau, you're just eating at maintenance (and no that's not the 1400 you guess you're eating)