how to beat plateau

Options

Replies

• ritaluna1387
    ritaluna1387 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i wasn't tracking or weighting my food the first two months and i still lost 15 lbs
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    You were making changes to your diet however and would have dropped water weight initially. You can do that with pretty small changes. Consistent and accurate logging is needed for the rest of the journey
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    i wasn't tracking or weighting my food the first two months and i still lost 15 lbs

As you get closer to your goal, you need to be more precise in making sure you don't exceed your calories. Some people do fine without counting calories, but for the majority of us, a food scale and accurate logging are important.
  • ritaluna1387
    Options
    thank you I will purchase a food scale
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Tighten up your logging.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure all of your food. Change you exercise. Add in small things like taking the stairs instead of the elevator, work standing up , etc.
  • suevand
    suevand Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Get more steps in by parking your car far from the entrance and try staying away from the food court. Do you think about portion control when you make meals? Try one cup of rice instead of two. And careful with boiled eggs for snacks...
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Big picture, OP has no control over how much she's eating and needs to start tracking. However, berating her for not weighing every banana is fetshism. It makes no difference if today's banana is 95 or 115 calories. Tomorrow's banana will even it out, and if it doesn't, it's still immaterial. If weighing bananas gives you a sense of comfort and control, knock yourself out, but recognize it for what it is.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise? If so, are you eating back exercise calories? If not, maybe you should try some cardio AND strength training, if that's feasible for you. Most of your weight loss will come from caloric deficit but I have had and seen great results from a balance of all three (caloric deficit, cardio/HIIT and strenth training). I agree with the posters about weighing your food.

If you try all those things and the scale is still not moving then maybe change up the food you are eating or do different activities. Also, are your measurements changing even if the scale isn't? I apologize if this was already answered, I didn't read all of the comments.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    suevand wrote: »
    Get more steps in by parking your car far from the entrance and try staying away from the food court. Do you think about portion control when you make meals? Try one cup of rice instead of two. And careful with boiled eggs for snacks...

What did eggs ever do to you? :( They're an awesome snack.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Big picture, OP has no control over how much she's eating and needs to start tracking. However, berating her for not weighing every banana is fetshism. It makes no difference if today's banana is 95 or 115 calories. Tomorrow's banana will even it out, and if it doesn't, it's still immaterial. If weighing bananas gives you a sense of comfort and control, knock yourself out, but recognize it for what it is.

That's not what we're challenging. We're challenging recording 1 serving today, tomorrow and every day, when in fact 3 servings' worth of calories are being eaten daily. If this weren't the case, she'd be losing weight.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

20 calories here and there can add up to a huge overage over the week. And that's just one item that could be mislogged.

If the OP eats 20 calories more per banana every day for a week, that's an extra 140 calories more than expected. Couple that with the fact that the OP's logging is spotty, and most measurements look off, it's likely that the OP is eating more than expected.

OP has stated they are getting a food scale, and is taking the advice in the thread to heart.
  • Wondertje
    Wondertje Posts: 63 Member
    Options

20 calories here and there can add up to a huge overage over the week. And that's just one item that could be mislogged.

If the OP eats 20 calories more per banana every day for a week, that's an extra 140 calories more than expected. Couple that with the fact that the OP's logging is spotty, and most measurements look off, it's likely that the OP is eating more than expected.

OP has stated they are getting a food scale, and is taking the advice in the thread to heart.

I think the problem is that there's a very low chance of every banana being 20 calories more than logged. The very probable thing is that a banan is approximately 95-115 calories, so let's say you log everyone for 105 calories. Then you are most likely to eat +-0 calories too much over the long run from those bananas. Probability speaking you'd be very unlucky if you manage to hit every banana on the larger side, assuming you truly opt for random bananas and don't search out the biggest ones.

That's what I do with most of my food to be honest, and it's more than enough. Example: I put 2 teaspoons of sugar in my tea every day, no I don't measure/weigh them every time. I even it out, sometimes they're slightly larger (error/spoon size) and sometimes they're slightly smaller, I take an average and log the average every time and things will even out automatically.

I think that's what Sheldon meant, -ish. Also using "generic" isn't too bad if you're aware of the fluctuations and make sure not to always opt for bigger sizes than generic would cover.
  • ritaluna1387
    Options
    there is a couple that does workout videos on youtube Fitness Blender and they do a lot of cardio/HIIT and strength training videos but I do those twice a week. Rest of the week i walk or go to Zumba.
  • ritaluna1387
    Options
    what are all this comments about bananas I only ate 1 on Wednesday. I don't eat bananas every day
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Wondertje wrote: »

I think the problem is that there's a very low chance of every banana being 20 calories more than logged. The very probable thing is that a banan is approximately 95-115 calories, so let's say you log everyone for 105 calories. Then you are most likely to eat +-0 calories too much over the long run from those bananas. Probability speaking you'd be very unlucky if you manage to hit every banana on the larger side, assuming you truly opt for random bananas and don't search out the biggest ones.

That's what I do with most of my food to be honest, and it's more than enough. Example: I put 2 teaspoons of sugar in my tea every day, no I don't measure/weigh them every time. I even it out, sometimes they're slightly larger (error/spoon size) and sometimes they're slightly smaller, I take an average and log the average every time and things will even out automatically.

I think that's what Sheldon meant, -ish. Also using "generic" isn't too bad if you're aware of the fluctuations and make sure not to always opt for bigger sizes than generic would cover.

That's great if it's working for you. Some people are better at evening everything out than others. But if that is how you are logging, and you stop losing weight, no one can give you any additional advice until you tighten up your logging. Only then can someone like the OP who has stopped losing weight, figure out where the extra calories are coming from.

It's the advice everyone is giving because it's the first thing you need to do if you think you are eating the right calories but you stop losing.
  • katieca123
    katieca123 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    saving this for later
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Yeah, close logging when you start is one of the best ways to figure out what you're dealing with. Doing so let me see just how much I was eating over the course of the day, and made me look and start making adjustments. That was almost two years ago, and now it's a lot easier. I do estimate a lot more now than I used to, but then, most foods I eat I've eaten many times before and can now judge how big a serving is compared to how it's logged (if that makes any sense).