What to do with green cabbage?

Options
124»

Replies

• BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Fry it in olive oil with some bacon and onion. Boil some potatoes and mash them without any milk or butter. Mix the mash with the cabbage mix and form into patties. Gently fry them in the same pan until a crispy coating forms. Delicious!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Saute / stir fry with peanut oil, little bit of garlic and some onion (if you like).
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    bump
  • swilkinson0705
    swilkinson0705 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Coleslaw
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    stir fry it with bacon.....

Beat me to it
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Make some slaw, roast it with some olive oil, salt and pepper, eat it raw (my favorite way).
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I shred it and add cilantro, green onion, avo, tomato,corn and sriracha.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I actually have cabbage for my lunch today - I lightly boiled it, then mixed in some spinach, cream cheese and dijon mustard. I'm having it with buckwheat noodles (I imagine it would taste nicer with potatoes, but I didn't have time to make those before work!)
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    really thin slices then lemon juice or vinegar and salt oil. let it sit for a hour or so

My fav is the Croatian way with onion and boiled potatoes :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well the cabbage is gone now. I used most in soup with carrots, and I sauteed the rest with some onions. But I'll keep this thread in mind for recipe ideas!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love that this was such a popular thread. Had sautéed cabbage and onions last night.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Roast it with olive oil, salt and pepper. Yum!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I love that this was such a popular thread. Had sautéed cabbage and onions last night.

Me, too, except I diced half a green pepper and added it to give a little kick. YUM

EDIT: I had no idea what I was missing in my life until I discovered cabbage.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I used some for soup, but I have 3/4 of a medium head left... suggestions?

cook it with bacon, caraway, vinegar. Then eat it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    As with most non-leafy vegetables, my favorite is roasted. I had just a little seasoned salt and ceyenne. My husbands favorite is sauteed in a mix of evoo and butter.

It's also pretty good in a stir fry.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Golden Beet Borscht is good.
    I also make a one-pot lazy man's cabbage rolls. Basically, tomato juice instead of water for the rice, browned beef & onions, rice, cabbage and seasonings cooked until the rice is done.
  • lastspen
    lastspen Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I like to cook mine like a stir-fry with some chorizo, sofrito, garlic and onions. It's great!