Strength Testing, Bench Press.

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I think a lot of it is mental. I know right now I'm fighting my mind at getting over 245. I get a little "scared" that I'll get stapled with such a heavy weight. although I'm comfortable at 225 and 235. Spend some time teasing yourself with the weight and it will get more comfortable to put up.

the problem is it's not 9 million reps- so you just don't want to do it.
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Looking for an opinion; What do you do when you miss reps on 5/3/1? Reset or push on. Missed my last 4 reps last night - simply ran out of steam but overall satisfied with the workout.

I personally think it does not matter if you miss as long as you hit failure, I always do OHP after my bench press so I do not need to use as much weight avoiding injuries due to high weight loads...So I cannot do as much weight but its to failure.

Thanks Red; I like the idea of OHP afterwards - I'll try that out.
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Looking for an opinion; What do you do when you miss reps on 5/3/1? Reset or push on. Missed my last 4 reps last night - simply ran out of steam but overall satisfied with the workout.
    What week were you on and how many cycles have you done? There is a built in reset in the book if you are following it to the the letter. I believe it is 5 cycles up then 3 cycles back. Wendler put this in to ensure that the program can be the lifetime lifting program he envisioned it to be.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I think a lot of it is mental. I know right now I'm fighting my mind at getting over 245. I get a little "scared" that I'll get stapled with such a heavy weight. although I'm comfortable at 225 and 235. Spend some time teasing yourself with the weight and it will get more comfortable to put up.

You would have enjoyed last night. My cooldown was 5 deadlifts at 93%. With 50 crunches and 50 pushups in between each if I chose to do them as singles. lol.
  • dbmata
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I think if you're working with a spotter and a power cage, you could get some negative work in, just be kinda goofy to do. I wish there was some sort of machine that would make it easier.

Jason - don't set your goals too high bro.

Well I do have a ATV winch mounted in the rafters for pulling motors and lifting stuff... Could rig it up to lift the bar back up so you could do solo negatives...lol Would be so redneck A video would be called for.

Nice idea with the ATV winch. I have a 3000lb superwinch that I mounted to my garage floor to drag in potentially disabled vehicles so I can put them up on the lift. Might rig up a pulley system so I can pull engines too.

They are handy, Really good for lifting up my snowmobile to work on it.
    How is it holding a dropped load? That would be my ONLY concern.

Good point, A cage would solve that, or even squat stands set to the right level?
    It's your neck.

A cage, I'd say.
  • dbmata
    Options

If it was just a matter of fitness for the lift, I'd stay at that weight for another week. Granted, I'm still reading the 5/3/1 2nd edition.
  • TFaustino67
    Options
    Thanks Nate and good point - I'm on the same boat with Db and am still reading through. I'm currently on Cycle 2 week 1 - behind the curve but its the holidays..what are you gonna do
  • dbmata
    Options
    Doubles.

or was your question facetious? ;)
  • JoRocka
    Options

You would have enjoyed last night. My cooldown was 5 deadlifts at 93%. With 50 crunches and 50 pushups in between each if I chose to do them as singles. lol.

LOL_ I could get down for that LOL-

I made myself a circuit you would have loved...

Deadlifts at 185.

do as many as you can for a set.
    Yog outside- 100 yard sprints the number of reps you lifted.

Do 10 sets? I think- I can't remember- it was a lot... and I remember 185 not being heavy enough- so I was doing like 10-11-12 sets of sprints at a time to start.

wtf was I thinking.
  • dbmata
    Options
    That's pretty hard core.

There's a reason I don't sprint. If I have to chase someone, my little buddies in my glock move faster than I do. lol.

I should do sprints. *sigh*.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    LOL it was a fun game to play for sure LOL.

Yes- you should- you do all the other miserable things- might as well do them!!!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

LOL_ I could get down for that LOL-

I made myself a circuit you would have loved...

Deadlifts at 185.

do as many as you can for a set.
    Yog outside- 100 yard sprints the number of reps you lifted.

Do 10 sets? I think- I can't remember- it was a lot... and I remember 185 not being heavy enough- so I was doing like 10-11-12 sets of sprints at a time to start.

wtf was I thinking.

Good question, what where you thinking? ;)
  • dbmata
    edited December 2014
    Options
    maybe. Sprints on hills. For days. On ice.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    For me I'm not so much concerned with how much I can push, but rather how much I *look* like I can push.
    :D:p:D
  • dbmata
    Options
    Sprints.

67bcb24298680b9216ba6754562f900a-d64zoj0.gif
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Thanks Nate and good point - I'm on the same boat with Db and am still reading through. I'm currently on Cycle 2 week 1 - behind the curve but its the holidays..what are you gonna do

So you were on 5's week and you missed 4 reps? If you're only on your 2nd cycle and you're missing reps then I'm going to say that you set your Training Max too high.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

So you were on 5's week and you missed 4 reps? If you're only on your 2nd cycle and you're missing reps then I'm going to say that you set your Training Max too high.

Agreed. Form could be really sloppy, too... leading to really good days and really bad days depending.
  • TFaustino67
    Options
    Thanks guys; all valid points. Though I'd argue sloppy form :) Tweaks? Yes. Always. Again, thanks.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    For me I'm not so much concerned with how much I can push, but rather how much I *look* like I can push.

#bumperplates??? LOL
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »

#bumperplates??? LOL

They are so pretty and colorful!