Holiday Drinking

Options
I have a lot of family and friend get togethers over the next few weeks and am looking for a low calorie drink. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Vodka, Whiskey, Rum, and Gin each have only 80 calories per shot so mixing them with lemon juice can be a low calorie adult beverage
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    My preference is Diet Dr. Pepper.
  • Whiskeytub
    Whiskeytub Posts: 96 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    *Cracks knuckles* Glad you asked.
    This is something I have been working on since I started my weight loss journey since I love drinking and I refuse to give it up, ever. Here are your options in descending order with pros, cons, and tips:

1) Straight liquor.
    A good whiskey or scotch, gin with a twist of lime, a fine tequila with lemon - all good options. Most efficient abv/calorie ratio. 2oz is usually less than 150 calories. Pro: Most bang for your buck, and the strong taste can force you to sip it, making is last longer. Con: Some people don't like the taste of liquor. Some people do, and it's easy to get sloppy if you're not careful (especially if you're eating at a deficit). Tip: Drink slowly and keep refilling your glass with ice, letting it melt as you sip. This will preserve the delicious alocohol flavor while allowing you to hold on to your drink for longer, giving you a nice friendly buzz that lasts for the evening without making you into that red-faced overly truthful relative who leans and breathes on everyone.
    -Do not confuse liquor with liqueur - liqueurs are much sweeter and contain massively more calories than liquors do.

2) Cocktails.
    Be careful with these - mixers can pack a lot of calories, as can sugary liqueurs like Kahlua, Drambuie and schnapps. Opt for club soda and citrus twist rather than juices or sugar sodas. If club soda bores you or isn't sweet enough, try using mostly the soda then cutting it with a small amount of ginger ale or tonic water. Angostura orange bitters also dress up a cocktail really nicely without adding much in the way of calories. Club soda, a teeny bit of ginger ale and bitters can be mixed with whiskey, gin, vodka or rum with delicious results.

3) Wine
    At around 150 calories per 6oz, wine is not a bad option for the person who enjoys having a glass to sip on. Pro: You can make it last a while and it's got a decent abv/calorie ratio. Con: The spins.

4) Beer
    Beer is terrible calorie-wise, but god help me, I love it. Most generic domestic beers are similar in calories with light beers being around 95 calories per 12 oz and non-lights about 150-180. Then you get into craft beers, where all the deliciousness is, and you really need to watch out. A nice high abv IPA can run anywhere from 180 to 300 calories per 12 oz. Stouts and Porters even more. Generally speaking, the darker and thicker the beer, the higher the calorie content. It is easy to rack up calories really fast by drinking beer. My best advice if you love beer but also want to get kind of drunk is to get a beer to nurse and a bourbon to drink on the side.
  • mommy2626
    mommy2626 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I need to remember this! As proven by this weekend-my drink of choice is tequila and limes. no mixers, never made me sick before, but now I am always drinking way too much and then sick as can be. Sooo, I need to remember to sip for a long time..... make it last :) lol!!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Straight liquor, and Pepsi Max. :)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Water....

:smiley:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Bourbon on the rocks
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I drink the flavored vodka and soda water. I love it! Of course be careful that can sneak up on you. Don't ask me how I know...lets just say my run the following day was less than impressive to me and the passer-by. HA
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My favorite are skinny margaritas. 100 cals each and taste better than the real thing, IMO, because it isn't as sweet.

That or just wine.

But honestly, moderate your drinking and it won't matter. I'm in my early 20s and drinking is added to every activity with friends. I moderate by only drinking on weekends/special occasions and it keeps my diet from going off the rails.

In example, last week, I went out with some girlfriends and ended up drinking a lot more than usual - as in, 1500 calories of just alcohol alone! That is what I eat in a day!

However, even though we were eating junk food that night - burgers, fries, etc, I still was careful about my portions so had I not been drinking, my food cals hit around 1500 still. I also ate really clean the entire week prior, including that day, so my calories were actually a little lower than my goal. My horrible binge night averaged out into only 400 calories extra over the course of the week. And again, this is not a typical thing for me at all, so it really doesn't even make a dent in my weight loss.

Just enjoy your parties and try not to stress out too much about it! As long as it's not a constant occurrence, it won't matter.
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Whiskeytub wrote: »
    *Cracks knuckles* Glad you asked.
    This is something I have been working on since I started my weight loss journey since I love drinking and I refuse to give it up, ever. Here are your options in descending order with pros, cons, and tips:

1) Straight liquor.
    A good whiskey or scotch, gin with a twist of lime, a fine tequila with lemon - all good options. Most efficient abv/calorie ratio. 2oz is usually less than 150 calories. Pro: Most bang for your buck, and the strong taste can force you to sip it, making is last longer. Con: Some people don't like the taste of liquor. Some people do, and it's easy to get sloppy if you're not careful (especially if you're eating at a deficit). Tip: Drink slowly and keep refilling your glass with ice, letting it melt as you sip. This will preserve the delicious alocohol flavor while allowing you to hold on to your drink for longer, giving you a nice friendly buzz that lasts for the evening without making you into that red-faced overly truthful relative who leans and breathes on everyone.
    -Do not confuse liquor with liqueur - liqueurs are much sweeter and contain massively more calories than liquors do.

2) Cocktails.
    Be careful with these - mixers can pack a lot of calories, as can sugary liqueurs like Kahlua, Drambuie and schnapps. Opt for club soda and citrus twist rather than juices or sugar sodas. If club soda bores you or isn't sweet enough, try using mostly the soda then cutting it with a small amount of ginger ale or tonic water. Angostura orange bitters also dress up a cocktail really nicely without adding much in the way of calories. Club soda, a teeny bit of ginger ale and bitters can be mixed with whiskey, gin, vodka or rum with delicious results.

3) Wine
    At around 150 calories per 6oz, wine is not a bad option for the person who enjoys having a glass to sip on. Pro: You can make it last a while and it's got a decent abv/calorie ratio. Con: The spins.

4) Beer
    Beer is terrible calorie-wise, but god help me, I love it. Most generic domestic beers are similar in calories with light beers being around 95 calories per 12 oz and non-lights about 150-180. Then you get into craft beers, where all the deliciousness is, and you really need to watch out. A nice high abv IPA can run anywhere from 180 to 300 calories per 12 oz. Stouts and Porters even more. Generally speaking, the darker and thicker the beer, the higher the calorie content. It is easy to rack up calories really fast by drinking beer. My best advice if you love beer but also want to get kind of drunk is to get a beer to nurse and a bourbon to drink on the side.

You weren't kidding when you stated you've been thinking about this. :smile: I think I am going with the Vodka w/ Diet Soda. But, I'm going for a good brand.
    Best,
    FrksFrau
  • holyfenix
    holyfenix Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    80 proof liquor is 64 calories and 100 proof is 80 calories. My go to drinks are vodka with 7up 10 or rum with doctor pepper 10. Or straight shots of tequila/vodka.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Bookmarked. So much win in one post. :smile:
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I don't drink any more or less over the holidays than I normally do.

Which is to say on average 36 - 48 oz of craft beer. It's food - track it accordingly.
  • thiswillhappen
    thiswillhappen Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Prosecco is actually not bad for calories! Get a nice dry one that's not too sweet. I drink it all the time these days! Also try swapping out every other drink with soda water and lemon wedge, it's a hangover helper, people think you're drinking something with booze in it so they don't pressure you or question you too much, AND you drink half the calories. Have fun!
  • GingerbreadCandy
    Options
    Btw, supposed a pint of guinness contains less calories than the same amount of orange juice. Can anybody confirm/deny that?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Bag the mixers, unless its diet.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Oh, just had a thought! For all ya beer lovers, you can always swap it with a Bavarian Radler. Which is a very refreshing drink made up by adding half a glass of lemonade to half a glass of blonde beer. (The dark beer version is called a Russn) If you want to go low cal you can swap the lemonade per lemon juice, some actually prefer it that way. If you really, REALLY want to cut the calories then you can swap it with sparkling water and a lemon wedge.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Good beer is my great weakness. In general, american craft beers are very high alcohol, which means very high calorie. German beers, especially Weiss and kolsch beers, are much lower alcohol, as low or lower than macro brews. Of course, the lower alcohol has benefits apart from calories.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    I like vodka and diet tonic or a cosmopolitan made from vodka, light cranberry and a splash of Cointreau shaken with ice. The mixers are basically 0 cals so it's just the cals of the spirits.