Holiday Drinking

Options

Replies

• mpaulson89
    mpaulson89 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Everyone in this post needs to add me. Ha i love drinking and have been trying to figure out better ways to drink since I refuse to give it up. Lately I've been drinking scotch or bourbon neat or a light beer.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Vodka soda water with lime juice. My preference is cranberry so I might do a splash of that instead.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Disappointed. I thought this was an invite.
  • jodiemhorton
    jodiemhorton Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Whiskeytub wrote: »
    *Cracks knuckles* Glad you asked.
    This is something I have been working on since I started my weight loss journey since I love drinking and I refuse to give it up, ever. Here are your options in descending order with pros, cons, and tips:

1) Straight liquor.
    A good whiskey or scotch, gin with a twist of lime, a fine tequila with lemon - all good options. Most efficient abv/calorie ratio. 2oz is usually less than 150 calories. Pro: Most bang for your buck, and the strong taste can force you to sip it, making is last longer. Con: Some people don't like the taste of liquor. Some people do, and it's easy to get sloppy if you're not careful (especially if you're eating at a deficit). Tip: Drink slowly and keep refilling your glass with ice, letting it melt as you sip. This will preserve the delicious alocohol flavor while allowing you to hold on to your drink for longer, giving you a nice friendly buzz that lasts for the evening without making you into that red-faced overly truthful relative who leans and breathes on everyone.
    -Do not confuse liquor with liqueur - liqueurs are much sweeter and contain massively more calories than liquors do.

2) Cocktails.
    Be careful with these - mixers can pack a lot of calories, as can sugary liqueurs like Kahlua, Drambuie and schnapps. Opt for club soda and citrus twist rather than juices or sugar sodas. If club soda bores you or isn't sweet enough, try using mostly the soda then cutting it with a small amount of ginger ale or tonic water. Angostura orange bitters also dress up a cocktail really nicely without adding much in the way of calories. Club soda, a teeny bit of ginger ale and bitters can be mixed with whiskey, gin, vodka or rum with delicious results.

3) Wine
    At around 150 calories per 6oz, wine is not a bad option for the person who enjoys having a glass to sip on. Pro: You can make it last a while and it's got a decent abv/calorie ratio. Con: The spins.

4) Beer
    Beer is terrible calorie-wise, but god help me, I love it. Most generic domestic beers are similar in calories with light beers being around 95 calories per 12 oz and non-lights about 150-180. Then you get into craft beers, where all the deliciousness is, and you really need to watch out. A nice high abv IPA can run anywhere from 180 to 300 calories per 12 oz. Stouts and Porters even more. Generally speaking, the darker and thicker the beer, the higher the calorie content. It is easy to rack up calories really fast by drinking beer. My best advice if you love beer but also want to get kind of drunk is to get a beer to nurse and a bourbon to drink on the side.

Well done... mayb I will switch to vodka and a low joule mixer... but I do love my wine and can never sip on it.

I find as well its the grog that will make me forget the diet just after 1 or 2 drinks. I tend to find the days I drink, I just forget my diet.. and exercise the day after. But then i really only drink every other week..
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Oh, just had a thought! For all ya beer lovers, you can always swap it with a Bavarian Radler. Which is a very refreshing drink made up by adding half a glass of lemonade to half a glass of blonde beer. (The dark beer version is called a Russn) If you want to go low cal you can swap the lemonade per lemon juice, some actually prefer it that way. If you really, REALLY want to cut the calories then you can swap it with sparkling water and a lemon wedge.
    Stiegl Radler is good, but for only 2.5% alcohol (albiet 35 calories per 100ml), I'd rather have straight hard alcohol mixed with diet grapefruit pop! More bang for your buck

ORRRRRRR just red wine <3
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Btw, supposed a pint of guinness contains less calories than the same amount of orange juice. Can anybody confirm/deny that?

I can confirm that a 12 oz bottle of Guinness only has 125 calories. I never drink orange juice, but from skimming the database, the same amount of orange juice would have about 165 calories.

Dark beer doesn't always have more calories. It's the alcohol content and residual sugar that bring higher calorie counts. Like, a DIPA is going to have waaaaay more calories than a lot of standard stouts/porters.

• jkwolly
    Options
    UpEarly wrote: »
    Btw, supposed a pint of guinness contains less calories than the same amount of orange juice. Can anybody confirm/deny that?

I can confirm that a 12 oz bottle of Guinness only has 125 calories. I never drink orange juice, but from skimming the database, the same amount of orange juice would have about 165 calories.

Dark beer doesn't always have more calories. It's the alcohol content and residual sugar that bring higher calorie counts. Like, a DIPA is going to have waaaaay more calories than a lot of standard stouts/porters.
    This.

Guinness is only 4.2% alcohol, hence why it's lower in calories.
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Actually, most stouts are LOWER in calories than many ales.

http://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer-muses/the-lighter-side-of-dark-debunking-the-myths-surrounding-dark-beer

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/nutrition/lose-fat/food-fight-lager-vs-stout

And the lower the alcohol content, generally, the lower the calories when it comes to many beers. Unless you're pounding imperial stouts, you're actually better off grabbing a few Guinness' and enjoying the full flavor than you are forcing down a few Michelob Ultras that are grody. (95 calories for the Michelob or 125 for the Guinness! Do a few squats while you're watching the foam cascade and you've broken even!)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    HARLEYzFIT wrote: »
    I have a lot of family and friend get togethers over the next few weeks and am looking for a low calorie drink. Any suggestions?

Eggnog with brandy and bourbon.
  • kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Captain Morgan and Diet Coke! It is only 92 calories for 2 oz and so yummy!
  • dbmata
    Options
    Captain Morgan is about 100 calories an ounce.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options

http://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer-muses/the-lighter-side-of-dark-debunking-the-myths-surrounding-dark-beer

And the lower the alcohol content, generally, the lower the calories when it comes to many beers. Unless you're pounding imperial stouts, you're actually better off grabbing a few Guinness' and enjoying the full flavor than you are forcing down a few Michelob Ultras that are grody. (95 calories for the Michelob or 125 for the Guinness! Do a few squats while you're watching the foam cascade and you've broken even!)

My point, love the taste of Guinnes. :smiley: Bonus: It is so thick you literally cannot have more than 3 without being filled up.

Also, that bolded part sounds like it could be adapted to become a brilliant New Year's game.
  • jkwolly
    Options

My point, love the taste of Guinnes. :smiley: Bonus: It is so thick you literally cannot have more than 3 without being filled up.
    Agreed, so filling! But so delicious.

I also love a crown float now and again.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My favorite is Captain Morgan and Diet Coke! It is only 92 calories for 2 oz and so yummy!

That is my drink of choice too, works out well that it is lower calorie than most other drinks. I can work the calories off in one of these drinks within 15 minutes on my bike, or just easily work it into my day, which happens often :)
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    Blood mary. Get your lycopene on.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    HARLEYzFIT wrote: »
    I have a lot of family and friend get togethers over the next few weeks and am looking for a low calorie drink. Any suggestions?

Suggestions:
    stay away from sugary mixed drinks
    stay away from high calorie beer
    Drink something you enjoy and drink slowly.
  • jkwolly
    Options
    ken_m wrote: »
    Blood mary. Get your lycopene on.
    Love me a spicy caesar!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Water.

Anything else you like, in moderation. With lots of water in between.
  • dbmata
    Options
    @katinachaos - stouts are ales.
  • Spencerport
    Spencerport Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've stopped drinking beer and now primarily drink hard cider. 12oz of a hard cider such as Woodchuck or Angry Orchard is right around 200 calories.