Gastric Sleeve

Options
I just got approved for the gastric sleeve. I've been in the program at Park Nicollet for about 9 months. They are thinking about 3 months for my surgery. My doctor wanted me to join here to track my exercise & protein intake. He wants me to aim for 30-40 minutes a day. Currently I am doing about 5-10 because of my chronic back & leg pain.

I am looking for some ideas for cardio & also stretching that someone with limited mobility can do indoors, since it's winter. Maybe some good videos?

I'd also love to meet other people that have had the gastric sleeve.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had the gastric bypass done six months ago. I also was instructed to track my food (MFP recommended) and steps (I use a FitBit Zip).

Is there a community center or pool nearby? Aquasize is great for people with back pain/joint problems.

Walking is about the best all-around exercise and also is very good for people with back pain.
    http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/exercise-walking-better-back-health

Resistance Bands

Tai-Chi for stretching.
  • ktpie76
    ktpie76 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Here is my group! Im a year out, give or take. Best decision ever! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100820-gastric-sleeve-before-during-and-after
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I haven't had WLS, but I like to work out at home occasionally!

What I do sometimes is put a song onto my iPod that is about 3-4 minutes long. I will run in place, do squats, or any type of movement to the tempo of the song from start to finish. You can easily adjust this to accomodate your needs.

You could also try to do laps of walking around your house or going up and down your stairs. Also, if you're up for it, I'd recommend Blogilates videos. She has some high impact and lower impact workouts on there.

Good luck!
  • amylhatch5
    amylhatch5 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had the gastric sleeve done on Oct 30th. Started at 280lbs and as of today I am 227. So, down 53lbs. Best decision ever. Just follow the diet they give you pre-op (that's the hardest part) then it's smooth sailing from there. It's a learning process but so worth it.
  • amylhatch5
    amylhatch5 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :)