Counting Calories in Fruits and Veggies?

Options
2»

Replies

• RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    crfeen wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

I’ve been eating 1200 cal/day with plenty of protein. I talked to my doctor and confirmed that this is an OK amount of calories for me. I know there is a lot of controversy on that topic. My main question is for those of you who strictly count calories, do you worry so much about the calories in fruits and veggies? It’s really hard to get an accurate estimate. Some people say the calories don’t count at all in fruits or veggies. Some say, count the fruit calories but not the veggie and some say count both.

Any ideas/suggestions? What do you guys think? And if you believe I should count all the calories, how do you believe is the most accurate way of doing this?

Thanks guys!!

Veggies no

Fruit yes - just because it is typically higher in sugar & carbs than veggies

If you are aiming to lose you should probably use MFP to it's fullest & catalog everything.

Good luck!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to choose what is right for you...

You can always go by results. If you go 6-8 weeks without a downward shift in weight, its a signal that you're overestimating burn and/or underestimating intake. If the scale stops moving for you - and I mean for more than just a few days or even a few weeks - then look for areas you can adjust. Such as occasionally weigh your foods to test your approximating skills, or add in an additional 20-30 minutes of activity a few times a week.
    crfeen wrote: »
    To everyone telling me to weigh my food thank you so much for your responses, however, I do not think I will be weighing my food. I have had various food issues in the past, including an eating disorder, which stemmed, in part from weighing my food. So I'm kind of against that. Plus I'm an on-the-go kind of girl. I pick up most of my food on my way to work. So that would be hard. Thanks so much though for the responses, I truly appreciate it!