Can rocking make you lose weight...I have a hypothesis lol

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Small movements can add up to a certain extent. It's called NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis). It's one of the reasons why two people with similar stats might have varying calorie burns for the same time frame-- if one fidgets and the other doesn't then the fidgeter will burn more calories.

But I don't know that the difference in NEAT alone would account for weight loss or gain. We're not talking about a lot of calories.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    They say people who fidget lose more weight than people who don't. So, just keepa Rockin' :#
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    She's talking about how when she was younger she rocked back n forth on the couch and therefore added to her NEAT which contributed to being at a stable weight until she was 18 and then she stopped rocking back n forth (cos well...) and therefore should she start the rocking again to add to her NEAT. Lol is it in database?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I feel drunk from reading this, without the alcohol or extra calories. Thank you.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I got a pm the other day from someone on here asking why I don't exercise and if I can help her stop chewing her nails... Totally random :o
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    OP the rocking chair won't work but if you walk back and forht in your living room like this you should drop some fat real quick like…

gronkwalk_medium.gif[img][/img]
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I'm actually rocking my baby in a chair as I am reading this... I feel the burn!
  • arditarose
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I'm actually rocking my baby in a chair as I am reading this... I feel the burn!

When you come down, plant your feet flat on the floor, squeeze the glutes and push off. Hold the baby tight though. Don't want any accidents.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    does your rocking chair have some magical weight loss properties….???

no, it does not count as exercise.

You gained weight because you ate too much, not because your magic rocking chair stopped functioning…

wow ….

Where does one buy a magic rocking chair? I really want one now lol. Thin the furniture store would think I was crazy if I asked for their "magic furniture" collection?
    I got a pm the other day from someone on here asking why I don't exercise and if I can help her stop chewing her nails... Totally random :o

Oh man, I was totally going to PM you about nail biting as well.. :-p

On a serious note, if your "rocking" was actually the cause of no gain before you stopped, no one with anxiety would be overweight, since that is a nervous movement.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Do you rock at work?
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Probably not. You'd burn at most 10 calories extra an hour from rocking like that.

The most likely cause was that you started eating more when you were pregnant and had the baby. Then that carried over into now. Your best bet is to track your calories and add in some resistance training possibly with some cardio depending on what you enjoy doing. :)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Rocking?
    5w9u7n.jpg

Or rocking?
    Beavis_%26_Butthead_-_Head_Banging.gif
  • elphie754
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

When you come down, plant your feet flat on the floor, squeeze the glutes and push off. Hold the baby tight though. Don't want any accidents.

Lol that would be interesting to explain to PD. "well you see, I was online and this person told me I should rock to burn calories...."
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Pikachu_rocking_out_by_mnrart-d5k2c68.gif
  • arditarose
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

Lol that would be interesting to explain to PD. "well you see, I was online and this person told me I should rock to burn calories...."

OMG
  • arditarose
    Options
    Rocking?
    5w9u7n.jpg

Or rocking?

Aw Beavis and Butthead. I miss them. They're great.
  • indunna
    indunna Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    For some people rocking can relieve stress - for some people overeating can relieve stress. My theory: you replaced rocking with eating and therefore gained weight (I would think rocking calorie burn is negligible). I'm guessing you gave up rocking because it seems a little wierd. Maybe you could look for more socially acceptable non fattening ways to relieve stress such as knitting or exercise?
  • elphie754
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Rocking?
    5w9u7n.jpg

Or rocking?
    Lol!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m33mgo7T1L1qh7qnv.jpg
  • arditarose
    Options
    indunna wrote: »
    For some people rocking can relieve stress - for some people overeating can relieve stress. My theory: you replaced rocking with eating and therefore gained weight (I would think rocking calorie burn is negligible). I'm guessing you gave up rocking because it seems a little wierd. Maybe you could look for more socially acceptable non fattening ways to relieve stress such as knitting or exercise?

This is kind of what I was trying to say earlier.

Anyway, OP. We are just having fun.