Can You Be Overweight and Healthy?

Options

Replies

• snackmophant
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Well, I know I couldn't, because 2 years at 198 lbs, and 10 years bouncing between 150 and 180, already did a number on my joints. I'd rather stay as light as I safely can.

For sure. I was only a little overweight at 165 lbs (just a touch over 25 BMI) and it definitely had an impact on my joints and how much they ached from the extra weight. Now my knees feel fine.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Well, I know I couldn't, because 2 years at 198 lbs, and 10 years bouncing between 150 and 180, already did a number on my joints. I'd rather stay as light as I safely can.

For sure. I was only a little overweight at 165 lbs (just a touch over 25 BMI) and it definitely had an impact on my joints and how much they ached from the extra weight. Now my knees feel fine.

I'm over 50 and have weighed more than 165 lbs for many years, but I've never had any joint problems. Did you have any other conditions other than weight? Do you know what your BF% was when you were overweight?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Glad your knees feel better!

Re the original article - an extended lifespan is one thing, but the quality of those 'extra' years might not be amazing if you're dealing with the long-term effects of "lifestyle". I've seen older people who have severely limited mobility because of arthritis (can't leave the house), whose bodies are worn out by the effects of high blood pressure, diabetes etc (and the side effects of the various meds they have to take to keep going) - they're tired all the time, they just don't feel good.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Glad your knees feel better!

Re the original article - an extended lifespan is one thing, but the quality of those 'extra' years might not be amazing if you're dealing with the long-term effects of "lifestyle". I've seen older people who have severely limited mobility because of arthritis (can't leave the house), whose bodies are worn out by the effects of high blood pressure, diabetes etc (and the side effects of the various meds they have to take to keep going) - they're tired all the time, they just don't feel good.

You are not describing healthy people though. The article certainly doesn't suggest that being overweight will make you healthy, and isn't just about lifespan.
  • snackmophant
    snackmophant Posts: 4
    edited December 2014
    Options

I'm over 50 and have weighed more than 165 lbs for many years, but I've never had any joint problems. Did you have any other conditions other than weight? Do you know what your BF% was when you were overweight?

Nope! No idea the BF%. I would just get more fatigued in my joints from the extra weight. I couldn't walk for a whole two hours straight like I can now.

I decided to lose weight a few years ago seeing my dad's side of the family (overweight and diabetic) and realizing I was going in the same direction as them. I stopped blaming my fat on "genetics" and did something about it. I don't want diabetes.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Here's a study on the BMI index charted against mortality.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25126085
    3l8lduuwz7dn.gif

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »

3l8lduuwz7dn.gif

Is that a study? It didn't really say what it was they were studying or how or what their conclusion was.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Nope! No idea the BF%. I would just get more fatigued in my joints from the extra weight. I couldn't walk for a whole two hours straight like I can now.

Do you think if you had walked every day that you would not eventually be able to walk 2 hours without pain, even without weight loss? I guess there is no real way to know unless you lost weight without exercise and then tried the walk.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

3l8lduuwz7dn.gif

Is that a study? It didn't really say what it was they were studying or how or what their conclusion was.

It's a review article, a big clue is a single author. Further down in the abstract it says "this review".
  • lorbie49
    lorbie49 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think you can be healthy for awhile. It will catch up to you though. It puts you at such a higher risk for so many things.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    BMI is bunk data though. Reference vs. a real parameter, bf%.

Hi guys, I was looking at BMI...
    ibfYhhWN2aYukw.gif
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    My mistake. Thank you Auddli for clarifying.
    I'm obviously not a researcher. I figure that if I can stay near the bottom of that U shaped curve my chances of meeting an early death may be diminished.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Well there's a suggestion that being overweight is associated with living longer:
    Relative to normal weight, both obesity (all grades) and grades 2 and 3 obesity were associated with significantly higher all-cause mortality. Grade 1 obesity overall was not associated with higher mortality, and overweight was associated with significantly lower all-cause mortality. The use of predefined standard BMI groupings can facilitate between-study comparisons.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1555137#Abstract

Edit: and it looks like this is being discussed already...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm obviously not a researcher. I figure that if I can stay near the bottom of that U shaped curve my chances of meeting an early death may be diminished.

I'd agree that staying near the bottom of the curve will increase your chances of being healthy, and while we may be healthy at higher weights, we should probably all strive to try and improve ourselves.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Can you smoke and not develop lung cancer? Definately! But the risk is much higher, so why risk it? Being overweight increases the risk of heart disease and diabetes, so why risk it?

Does it really? The article seems to suggest that it's not always so.

The article is not from a peer-reviewed database so take the information provided with a grain of salt.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I'd agree that staying near the bottom of the curve will increase your chances of being healthy, and while we may be healthy at higher weights, we should probably all strive to try and improve ourselves.

I think this is a reasonable position.

I'd rather get the odds as much in my favour as I realistically can.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Can you smoke and not develop lung cancer? Definately! But the risk is much higher, so why risk it? Being overweight increases the risk of heart disease and diabetes, so why risk it?

The article is not from a peer-reviewed database so take the information provided with a grain of salt.

It references peer reviewed studies so I don't see why the article would be suspect. I would imagine this doctor is more qualified to interpret the research than most of us.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »

I think this is a reasonable position.

I'd rather get the odds as much in my favour as I realistically can.

But if statistics say the odds aren't greater by being at the lower end, what makes you think they are?
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    My P.E teacher at school was fit he played professional rugby died in his 30s of heart attack yet my dad who ate junk drank and smoked lived til he was 63 my teacher died suddenly my dad spent a year dying slowly and painfully. There will always be exceptions but I do think you can be overweight as in high BMI and healthy ( weight lifters) but in general I think health is more important exercise drink water and eat balanced
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

It references peer reviewed studies so I don't see why the article would be suspect. I would imagine this doctor is more qualified to interpret the research than most of us.

Reviews are simply that, opinion articles, unless subjected to peer scrutiny and review.

We get the same thing in the editorial section of the newspaper.