Can You Be Overweight and Healthy?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Can you smoke and not develop lung cancer? Definately! But the risk is much higher, so why risk it? Being overweight increases the risk of heart disease and diabetes, so why risk it?

Does it really? The article seems to suggest that it's not always so.

The article is not from a peer-reviewed database so take the information provided with a grain of salt.

It references peer reviewed studies so I don't see why the article would be suspect. I would imagine this doctor is more qualified to interpret the research than most of us.

Reviews are simply that, opinion articles, unless subjected to peer scrutiny and review.

We get the same thing in the editorial section of the newspaper.

The articles on that sight are reviewed by peers before publication, so no. But it is the educated opinion of this professional and the educated professionals he works with, so yes. But since the studies are referenced and where published provided, anyone is free to look them up and form their own opinions. Or just form an opinion without looking them up. Whatever.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    My mistake. Thank you Auddli for clarifying.
    I'm obviously not a researcher. I figure that if I can stay near the bottom of that U shaped curve my chances of meeting an early death may be diminished.

I'd agree that staying near the bottom of the curve will increase your chances of being healthy, and while we may be healthy at higher weights, we should probably all strive to try and improve ourselves.

I think this is a reasonable position.

I'd rather get the odds as much in my favour as I realistically can.

But if statistics say the odds aren't greater by being at the lower end, what makes you think they are?

The review I linked (which was in a peer reviewed publication) has to be taken within the context of the body of evidence we have already accumulated on this subject as well as the limitations of this review (the use of BMI to extract data, the focus on all cause mortality rather than disease and so on.)

Therefore the conclusion is not so much that being slightly overweight is desirable but rather it may not be as bad as was once thought.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    No. It's a site run by Aetna. Meaning it is above all, marketing and for the expansion of brand and revenue.

He may have quality content, and it very well *may* have a review process. However, I would personally not give it creedence as a legitimate review article until it has gone through a formal publication process to one of the many fine medical journals on the market.

On top of that, he may be an expert, he may not. Without a review process from a well known publication, we have to rely upon goodwill and an assumption of fair play in order to accept him, acting as an Aetna content provider (aka employee of some sort), as an expert in this field and speaking as such.

Not knowing him, I have no knowledge of whether he has a significant publication history that would position him as an obvious expert in this field.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    No. It's a site run by Aetna. Meaning it is above all, marketing and for the expansion of brand and revenue.

He may have quality content, and it very well *may* have a review process. However, I would personally not give it creedence as a legitimate review article until it has gone through a formal publication process to one of the many fine medical journals on the market.

On top of that, he may be an expert, he may not. Without a review process from a well known publication, we have to rely upon goodwill and an assumption of fair play in order to accept him, acting as an Aetna content provider (aka employee of some sort), as an expert in this field and speaking as such.

Not knowing him, I have no knowledge of whether he has a significant publication history that would position him as an obvious expert in this field.

Content is reviewed by Harvard Medical School.
  • dbmata
    Options
    No, HMS is a content partner. Unless there is a page outlining their partnership as a content reviewer, which I missed.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    No, HMS is a content partner. Unless there is a page outlining their partnership as a content reviewer, which I missed.

There is.
  • dbmata
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Then by all means, provide a link so that I may read it and be illuminated.

ETA - just found it. Now I'd like to know why, if these are edited and reviewed articles, why aren't they put in a real journal so that the knowledge and effort may be put against expanded scrutiny and validated as accurate?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Robert H. Shmerling, M.D.
    Clinical Chief, Rheumatology Division

Robert H. Shmerling, M.D. is a graduate of Tufts University (1979) and Harvard Medical School (1983); he completed his internship and residency training at Beth Israel Hospital in 1986 and a combined Primary Care and Rheumatology Fellowship at Beth Israel and Brigham and Women's Hospital in 1989. He is currently an Associate Physician at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School and is an active teacher in the Internal Medicine Residency Program, serving as Associate Firm Chief of the Robinson Firm from 1991 to 1998 and as its Firm Chief from 1998 through the present. He is also co-director of the Rheumatology Fellowship Program. His clinical interests include gout, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. He has published research and review articles exploring the usefulness of commonly ordered diagnostic tests including the rheumatoid factor, anti-nuclear antibody (ANA), anti-neutrophilic cytoplasmic antibody (ANCA) and analyses of synovial fluid. Currently, he is working with Dr. Christine Peoples on a study examining the early experience with anti-cyclic citrullinated protein (anti-CCP) testing. He also serves as a Senior Editor of Internet Publishing at Harvard Health Publications and is a regular reviewer for the New England Journal of Medicine, Arthritis and Rheumatism and Arthritis Care and Research.

http://www.bidmc.org/CentersandDepartments/Departments/Medicine/Divisions/Rheumatology/MeetOurTeam/LeadershipTeam.aspx

It's pretty easy to google this stuff.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm not sure anyone is reading the article so I'm posting it here. It's long, so still not sure how many will read it. It raises some interesting points, I think.

By Robert H. Shmerling M.D.
    Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center

There's little question that the current epidemic of obesity has come with a staggering cost to public health. Current estimates suggest that obesity-related illness accounts for $150 billion and 300,000 premature deaths each year in the United States.

The number of conditions linked to excess weight is large and growing. They include:

Type 2 diabetes
    High blood pressure (hypertension)
    Heart disease
    Stroke
    Certain types of cancer
    Impaired sleep
    Arthritis
    But can people who carry extra weight still be healthy? Are you healthy if you're overweight or obese but physically active, have a normal blood pressure and good "metabolic numbers" (including cholesterol levels and blood sugar)? To some degree, the answers depend on our definitions of "overweight" and "obese." And there is more than just physical health at stake in the answers. Increasingly, employers or insurers provide discounts for "leanness." And, many overweight and obese people face subtle (and not-so-subtle) discrimination.

Confusion Between Terms

When it comes to discussions of health and weight, overweight people and obese people are often lumped together. Consider this quote from a recent news summary (emphasis added) that mixes the concepts of overweight and obese in the same sentence:

NBC Nightly News reported that new research suggests that individuals cannot be simultaneously overweight and physically fit. NBC's Chief Medical Editor Dr. Nancy Snyderman said that the research indicates that "there is no such thing as healthy obesity."

One of the most common (and commonly studied) ways to define healthy weight is the body mass index (BMI), which adjusts weight based on height. While it's not perfect (especially for the very young, the very old, those who are particularly muscular or women who are pregnant), it is a good place to start.

Normal weight is a BMI between 18.5 and 24.9.
    Overweight is a BMI between 25 and 29.
    Obesity is a BMI of 30 or greater.
    In the United States, roughly a third of people are currently overweight. Another third are obese. These proportions are much higher than in prior decades.

Is "Fat But Fit" a Myth?

Two recent studies "weigh in" on this question.

The first one was published in early 2013 in the medical journal, JAMA. It analyzed data from nearly 100 studies and included almost 3 million people. It found that people who were overweight were 6% less likely to die during the average study period than people whose weight was considered normal; the obese (and extremely obese) died earlier.

This study looked only at death rates, not fitness or even how well the overweight people felt. Still, the results were a bit surprising. The study authors suggested several possible explanations, including:

Being overweight may lead to more frequent doctor visits and, perhaps, better medical care.
    Having some extra body weight "in reserve" may be beneficial for a person with a serious illness or chronic disease.
    The metabolic effects of extra body fat are somehow protective.
    It's even possible that some people in the normal weight group had lost weight due to illness (including undiagnosed cancer) that lead to their deaths. So, despite the results of this study, being overweight doesn't necessarily have a "protective" effect. Rather, the findings could be explained by a higher death rate among those of normal weight.

The second study combined data from prior research that included more than 60,000 people. It concluded that "there is no healthy pattern of increased weight." However, this study did not find higher rates of death or heart and blood vessel events among overweight people, as long as their cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar levels were in a healthy range. (High cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar are some of the conditions that can lead to metabolic syndrome, which increases your risk of heart disease and diabetes.)

The researchers found that:

On average, the higher the BMI, the higher the blood pressure and the greater the tendency toward diabetes (as measured by the body's resistance to insulin, which is considered a key first step toward developing the disease).
    The higher the BMI, the lower the HDL (the "good" type of cholesterol that tends to lower heart attack and stroke risk).
    The health effects of excess weight vary for different people, perhaps due to genetics.
    Obesity was linked with an increased risk of death and cardiovascular events.
    People of any weight who have high cholesterol, blood pressure or blood sugar tend to have higher rates of death, as well as heart and blood-vessel disease.

The Bottom Line

Avoiding obesity is important. But these studies suggest that you can expect to have a normal lifespan even if you're overweight, as long as you are in good metabolic health. But, keep in mind that the health impact of being overweight likely depends on which way your weight is headed. Rising BMI is linked with an increase in heart and blood vessel risk factors (including metabolic syndrome).

What about the idea that you can be obese but fit? Unfortunately, compelling evidence suggests that obesity is linked with an increased risk of death and heart events, even if one's metabolic and heart health numbers are good.

The challenge for people who are overweight is to avoid gaining even more weight and becoming metabolically unhealthy, obese or both.

So, I guess the answer is "no".

This question is kinda like "can you be a "healthy" drug addict or a "healthy" alcoholic?". Yeah, up to a point, until the contributing health risks out weigh your "health".
  • dbmata
    Options

Just as easy for you to be thorough. I know, thorough is hard. Asking questions is hard.

Knock it off. I still question the content quality, because it's subject to a star chamber's level of scrutiny. I prefer real scrutiny to something being passed off as:
    This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.

Trustworthy is such an ambiguous term.
  • catic32
    catic32 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Simple Answer: Yes.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I'm not sure anyone is reading the article so I'm posting it here. It's long, so still not sure how many will read it. It raises some interesting points, I think.

There's little question that the current epidemic of obesity has come with a staggering cost to public health. Current estimates suggest that obesity-related illness accounts for $150 billion and 300,000 premature deaths each year in the United States.

The number of conditions linked to excess weight is large and growing. They include:

Type 2 diabetes
    Heart disease
    Stroke
    Certain types of cancer
    Impaired sleep
    Arthritis
    But can people who carry extra weight still be healthy? Are you healthy if you're overweight or obese but physically active, have a normal blood pressure and good "metabolic numbers" (including cholesterol levels and blood sugar)? To some degree, the answers depend on our definitions of "overweight" and "obese." And there is more than just physical health at stake in the answers. Increasingly, employers or insurers provide discounts for "leanness." And, many overweight and obese people face subtle (and not-so-subtle) discrimination.

Confusion Between Terms

When it comes to discussions of health and weight, overweight people and obese people are often lumped together. Consider this quote from a recent news summary (emphasis added) that mixes the concepts of overweight and obese in the same sentence:

NBC Nightly News reported that new research suggests that individuals cannot be simultaneously overweight and physically fit. NBC's Chief Medical Editor Dr. Nancy Snyderman said that the research indicates that "there is no such thing as healthy obesity."

One of the most common (and commonly studied) ways to define healthy weight is the body mass index (BMI), which adjusts weight based on height. While it's not perfect (especially for the very young, the very old, those who are particularly muscular or women who are pregnant), it is a good place to start.

In the United States, roughly a third of people are currently overweight. Another third are obese. These proportions are much higher than in prior decades.

Is "Fat But Fit" a Myth?

The first one was published in early 2013 in the medical journal, JAMA. It analyzed data from nearly 100 studies and included almost 3 million people. It found that people who were overweight were 6% less likely to die during the average study period than people whose weight was considered normal; the obese (and extremely obese) died earlier.

This study looked only at death rates, not fitness or even how well the overweight people felt. Still, the results were a bit surprising. The study authors suggested several possible explanations, including:

Being overweight may lead to more frequent doctor visits and, perhaps, better medical care.
    Having some extra body weight "in reserve" may be beneficial for a person with a serious illness or chronic disease.
    It's even possible that some people in the normal weight group had lost weight due to illness (including undiagnosed cancer) that lead to their deaths. So, despite the results of this study, being overweight doesn't necessarily have a "protective" effect. Rather, the findings could be explained by a higher death rate among those of normal weight.

The second study combined data from prior research that included more than 60,000 people. It concluded that "there is no healthy pattern of increased weight." However, this study did not find higher rates of death or heart and blood vessel events among overweight people, as long as their cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar levels were in a healthy range. (High cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar are some of the conditions that can lead to metabolic syndrome, which increases your risk of heart disease and diabetes.)

On average, the higher the BMI, the higher the blood pressure and the greater the tendency toward diabetes (as measured by the body's resistance to insulin, which is considered a key first step toward developing the disease).
    The higher the BMI, the lower the HDL (the "good" type of cholesterol that tends to lower heart attack and stroke risk).
    The health effects of excess weight vary for different people, perhaps due to genetics.
    People of any weight who have high cholesterol, blood pressure or blood sugar tend to have higher rates of death, as well as heart and blood-vessel disease.

The Bottom Line

Avoiding obesity is important. But these studies suggest that you can expect to have a normal lifespan even if you're overweight, as long as you are in good metabolic health. But, keep in mind that the health impact of being overweight likely depends on which way your weight is headed. Rising BMI is linked with an increase in heart and blood vessel risk factors (including metabolic syndrome).

What about the idea that you can be obese but fit? Unfortunately, compelling evidence suggests that obesity is linked with an increased risk of death and heart events, even if one's metabolic and heart health numbers are good.

The challenge for people who are overweight is to avoid gaining even more weight and becoming metabolically unhealthy, obese or both.

This question is kinda like "can you be a "healthy" drug addict or a "healthy" alcoholic?". Yeah, up to a point, until the contributing health risks out weigh your "health".

The answer to what? The subject line asked whether it was possible to be overweight and unhealthy, not obese and healthy. As the article mentions, the two are not the same thing and may have different answers.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Just as easy for you to be thorough. I know, thorough is hard. Asking questions is hard.

Knock it off. I still question the content quality, because it's subject to a star chamber's level of scrutiny. I prefer real scrutiny to something being passed off as:
    This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.

Trustworthy is such an ambiguous term.

You can't make people trust you. We all choose what and who to trust. Trust can also be hard.

I can only guess at why they publish online instead of in a journal, but my guess would be it's meant for a wider and more general audience and is discussing information already published in a journal. Again, that is just a guess.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

Type 2 diabetes
    Heart disease
    Stroke
    Certain types of cancer
    Impaired sleep
    Arthritis

Confusion Between Terms

Is "Fat But Fit" a Myth?

The Bottom Line

The answer to what? The subject line asked whether it was possible to be overweight and unhealthy, not obese and healthy. As the article mentions, the two are not the same thing and may have different answers.

No, your subject line is "Can You Be Overweight and Healthy?". And the answer is still "no".

• bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    At 292, my cholesterol was high and I was at risk for diabetes according to blood tests. My blood pressure was still pretty good. Now, even though I still have about 40 lbs to go, my cholesterol is within normal healthy range, I'm no longer at risk for diabetes, and my blood pressure is even better.

So, I still consider myself fat, but I'm also pretty healthy according to the tests. At the higher weights I was not, but could other people be healthy on paper? Sure, no doubt.
  • catic32
    catic32 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    ^ And your definition of healthy is?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Type 2 diabetes
    Heart disease
    Stroke
    Certain types of cancer
    Impaired sleep
    Arthritis

Confusion Between Terms

Is "Fat But Fit" a Myth?

The Bottom Line

No, your subject line is "Can You Be Overweight and Healthy?". And the answer is still "no".

Yes, sorry. Thanks for the correction. The answer is no, based on what?
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Can you smoke and not develop lung cancer? Definately! But the risk is much higher, so why risk it? Being overweight increases the risk of heart disease and diabetes, so why risk it?

What the article is stating is that as long as you are in good metabolic health you should be fine, and yes you could be overweight with a great metabolic health. But it also does state that the higher you slide on the BMI scale the higher your risk is of developing metabolic issues.

You could be overweight but active enough to counteract it, you could be overweight but lucky enough to have good genetics, you could be overweight by BMI but with a good fat distribution or a larger build, you could be overweight ever so slightly that you are actually at a good weight for you despite of what BMI says. Yes, all of these are possible. But if all things were equal (genetic predisposition, activity level, fat distribution.. etc) I believe a person who is within the normal range (not necessarily according to BMI) would be healthier than someone who has more extra weight.

I don't neccesarily agree that someone who is of a normal bmi is healthier than a different person who is overweight. I do think a person of a normal bmi would be healthier than themself overweight. ex, I may be overweight and healthier than a friend who is of normal weight. But I'd be healthier not overweight than I am right now.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

What the article is stating is that as long as you are in good metabolic health you should be fine, and yes you could be overweight with a great metabolic health. But it also does state that the higher you slide on the BMI scale the higher your risk is of developing metabolic issues.

You could be overweight but active enough to counteract it, you could be overweight but lucky enough to have good genetics, you could be overweight by BMI but with a good fat distribution or a larger build, you could be overweight ever so slightly that you are actually at a good weight for you despite of what BMI says. Yes, all of these are possible. But if all things were equal (genetic predisposition, activity level, fat distribution.. etc) I believe a person who is within the normal range (not necessarily according to BMI) would be healthier than someone who has more extra weight.

I don't neccesarily agree that someone who is of a normal bmi is healthier than a different person who is overweight. I do think a person of a normal bmi would be healthier than themself overweight. ex, I may be overweight and healthier than a friend who is of normal weight. But I'd be healthier not overweight than I am right now.

Why would you be? And, if you are healthy now, how? How can you be healthier than healthy?
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options

Why would you be? And, if you are healthy now, how? How can you be healthier than healthy?

I don't consider myself healthy because of medical issues that are outside of my control, but I can definitely be healthier and a lot healthier depending on my actions. When I'm doing really well with nutrient-dense foods, sleep, and exercise, I feel better than when I'm just doing ok. My blood work is always great, whether I'm eating optimally or not. But I know the difference in how I feel, how much I get done, and my attitude. I think health can be looked at like Goldilocks-not healthy enough, healthy, very healthy.