Weight Loss Surgery for Morbidly Obese

Options
12346»

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The statistics show that MOST people gain back the weight they lost and many of them gain even more than they lost back. The statistics show that this is true no matter how the weight is lost. To be so judgmental is sickening. Surgery is not the easy way out. There simply is no easy way. It takes hard work, dedication, commitment and perseverance, and to keep it off takes even more of these qualities, no matter how you lose the weight. Kudos to everyone that makes it, no matter which route you choose.
  • PALady4JC
    PALady4JC Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Statistics are that 80% of people who have wls are successful.
  • yayamay
    yayamay Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    FrenchMob wrote: »
    It's a cop-out that could cost you your life if you get complications. Anyone can do it naturally. I personally know 2 people that did the surgery 6 months ago. Guess what? They loss some weight (around 40-50 lbs), but now they're back at Popeyes and McDonalds and they're wondering why they're no longer losing.

Fat loss is a psychological issue, not a physiological one.

Obviously the two people that you know weren't ready for the surgery if they are back to their old ways. WLS is not a cure, it's a tool. You still need to work hard, you still need to watch what you eat and you still need to exercise.
  • sainttiffany
    sainttiffany Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've seen friends/family have major success with it and also, major failure with it. I think it is like anything else in life. I say research your options (the programs and type of surgery, etc etc) and if you decide to take the dive, go into it with everything you got. Lots of people don't stick to the plan and don't get down to the root of why you got here in the first place.

I went with my best friend to her doctors visits (across the other end of our state). I wasn't totally supportive of surgery for her, but I supported her autonomy to decide. I liked her program because it encourages us to learn other people's battles and challenges. She had to attend 10 weeks of seminar-classes before she was approved for her surgery date. They taught nutrition and understanding your future limitations, but also some of the deeper mental/emotional issues. It was very interesting. Her doctors seemed to actually want them to succeed. A program like that, in my opinion, sets those who really take it seriously up for success.

Okay, my ramblings over now.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    grimendale wrote: »
    It comes with a host of pretty severe side effects and high risk of complications, including a fairly high risk of death on the operating table. It's not an easy route by any means. It's an option for some, but just make sure you're aware of all the risks so that you go in with your eyes open.

This is not accurate. The sleeve procedure has no higher death rate than having your appendix out. It has a smaller rate than having a hysterectomy. If you are considering having surgery, which I did, go to an informational seminar and find out the truth about the surgery. Ask questions. Find out what the life post-surgery is like. Then, decide if you want to proceed or not. Losing weight is the same with or without surgery. You have to be committed to eating the right foods in the right portions and you have to move. Surgery gives you some help in your portion control at any single meal, but it doesn't stop you from eating all day if you want. It is a tool, not a magic fix. What you don't want to do is rule it out based on inaccurate information or because of people's negative opinion of the surgery. People who talk negatively about the surgery are generally feeling inadequate or unhappy with themselves. Otherwise, why would they not be supportive of whatever allowed you to be your healthiest and happiest self?
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I had the vertical sleeve surgery done in early February of this year. My GI surgeon recommended it because I have other GI problems, which are exacerbated by my weight in the belly region. The surgery was fine, I had no complications. I was hurting for a couple of weeks from the deep incisions, but now, five weeks out, I feel back to normal.

The main thing is that the hunger beast is now tamed.

It is a very individual thing, the idea of deciding if you need this kind of help or not. One thing that really surprised me was that after my surgery, they did pathology on the removed stomach and found a GIST (Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor) tumor in the stomach. I am praying that there are no more anywhere and thanking God that that one is gone.

I am so glad I had the surgery and not just because of the tumor. I feel better than I did before. My belly no longer knocks into my thighs when I walk.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You have to do what works for you, each individual is different in how they diet and how they maintain weight loss. There is no right or wrong if you are successfully in losing and maintaining the weight loss.

For me it was yoyo dieting, lose 50, gain 50, over and over, which lead me to have sleeve surgery this year. I didn't do it to lose the weight I can successfully diet but I needed the surgery to help me maintain the wight loss. I lost and gained the same 50 lbs at least 12 times over the past 20 years.

Visit a good surgeon that has time to talk with you and answer your questions. Ask them for recommended books that will explain the procedure from start to finish and give you a realistic view of what life is like after surgery.

Ultimately you will make the best decision for you. Good luck with your journey.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    NikonPal wrote: »
    I am considering weight loss surgery, I am sure the bashing will happen, any comments for or against?
    ... it’s a personal decision based on degree of obesity, medical input, risks/benefits etc. I would never judge anyone that had surgery after considering everything.

So kudos to those that lost weight, changed lifestyles for the long-term with or without surgery.

73641431.png

There was a time when I thought, How could anyone consider surgery? Why don't they lose the weight naturally?

But as I get older, and weight loss is harder, I'm more understanding. If I'm not even technically overweight, and losing a few pounds is a struggle for me, what must it be like for someone with a serious amount of weight to lose? But it is still major surgery.

If you've consistently tried and failed, analyzed the pros and cons and are willing to change your life I suggest you speak to your doctor.

As the person I quoted said, weight loss and maintenance by any method are admirable.

I don't know why this comment was flagged. There was nothing abusive about it.