Favorite Protein Powder?

Options

Replies

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Now Foods Pea Protein (120c/24g of protein 35% rda of iron, 2% calcium per serving)

I'm lactose intolerant so I can't have whey protein powders, I like it because it only contains pea protein so I don't have to worry about added sugars or anything when making a smoothie. It doesn't have much of a taste but it's pretty thick, sort of like drinking pancake batter. If you don't like thicker milkshake like smoothies I doubt you would like it.
  • sheepotato
    Options
    42carrots wrote: »
    Does anyone use pea protein? If so can you make any recommendations for a good brand? I want to make vegan savoury protein bars and found a recipe using pea protein powder, but I don't really dabble in protein powders of any kind usually so I'm not sure what to look for. I did try to buy a vegetarian vanilla flavoured one once, but it was sickly artificially sweet tasting, so I couldn't really palate it My understanding is that some are grittier than others, brands to try (or to avoid) would be much appreciated, or if anyone has other vegetarian or vegan suggestions, that'd be great too.

Before I switched to pea protein I was using Garden of life raw protein (vegan) I've only used the unflavored version. It's horrid with just water, but it's a tasteless base for smoothies. It's 80c/17g of protein.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard

Because it's good. It gives my boyfriend horrific gas, though.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »

What flavor do you use? I got the vanilla ice cream and I think it's vile.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Cookies and cream is pretty good
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »

What flavor do you use? I got the vanilla ice cream and I think it's vile.

Just the plain vanilla. I don't do much to jazz it up. Water, ice, 1 scoop and 2 single serve vanilla instant coffee packets.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Cellucor- mint chocolate chip/ red Velvet cake batter/ Raspberry chocolate truffle/ molten chocolate..... Cellucor is kind of expensive, but their flavors are sooo good. They mix well even with just water.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Cellucor.... it's tasty as hell, and not so watery like Optimum Nutrition.
  • catic32
    catic32 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Anyone drink Egg Protein Powder?
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Isopure dutch chocolate by far. If money is tight, then ON
  • catic32
    Options
    I just had Vega in Strawberry - not terrible but not one I plan on drinking regularly.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Trutein, because it tastes the best. It's also one of the more expensive, so there's that.

This!!
  • Lucknawi
    Lucknawi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So far... Optimum Nutrition 100% GOLD Whey Protien Powder in Extreme Chocolate Milk, it mixes well and has great flavor. I am starting Iso Sensation 93 in Chocolate Fudge pretty soon here and based off overall reviews I am seeing it as being my new favorite in the future :)
  • 42carrots
    42carrots Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    42carrots wrote: »
    Does anyone use pea protein? If so can you make any recommendations for a good brand? I want to make vegan savoury protein bars and found a recipe using pea protein powder, but I don't really dabble in protein powders of any kind usually so I'm not sure what to look for. I did try to buy a vegetarian vanilla flavoured one once, but it was sickly artificially sweet tasting, so I couldn't really palate it My understanding is that some are grittier than others, brands to try (or to avoid) would be much appreciated, or if anyone has other vegetarian or vegan suggestions, that'd be great too.

Before I switched to pea protein I was using Garden of life raw protein (vegan) I've only used the unflavored version. It's horrid with just water, but it's a tasteless base for smoothies. It's 80c/17g of protein.

Awesome, thanks for the info, I'll check these out.

• MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Cheap whey ISO. Pm me please if you know a deal better than $10 / lb
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    EidoPro 100% Whey Protein (unflavored) Great in my smoothies and oatmeal. Low calories and no junk added. 27 grams protein for 110 calories. Check it out on amazon. Pricing is good for quality. Oh and it mixes well.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I found out through research that it's hard to find one that's really gluten free. Since I have celiac disease, that's become the most important thing for me in looking for a protein powder. I just tried Trutein, and so far so good. Not thrilled with the taste of the vanilla, but I'm not having a bad reaction to it, so I'll try another flavor next.
  • catic32
    Options
    Vega is gluten free
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Dymatize Elite Gourmet banana nut muffin because it is delicious and I can actually make muffins with it.
  • sheepotato
    Options
    I found out through research that it's hard to find one that's really gluten free. Since I have celiac disease, that's become the most important thing for me in looking for a protein powder. I just tried Trutein, and so far so good. Not thrilled with the taste of the vanilla, but I'm not having a bad reaction to it, so I'll try another flavor next.

Now foods is gluten free, the unflavored version only contains peas.