Couch to 5k - February race

2»

Replies

• LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    you'll be fine. and don't need to be a slave to the app. personally, i tried C25k once, and i disliked all the walking and running. just go out and run and enjoy yourself. run a little further or a little faster each time.

and it's a fun run 5k. you will have opportunities to walk and catch your breath before the next horde comes for you.

also, i don't think that if you lose all three flags you become a zombie. you have to specifically sign up to be a zombie. if you lose all three flags, you're just not eligible for prizes at the end.

If I feel that the program isn't for me I will chuck it but I'm hoping this will get the ball rolling. The great thing about the race being so close to my deadline is I don't have the option of repeating a week so I hope that will be a strong motivation. I've never heard of a zombie run where you turn into a zombie but on the site that's what it said, not sure about the logistics of it.
  • LeenaJean
    msf74 wrote: »
    LeenaJean wrote: »
    A major reason why I want to make the deadline is because I want my first 5k to be a zombie run, only down side being you have flags around your waist and if the zombies get all your flags you become a zombie yourself, so, not really a down side but I'd like to finish with all my flags.

Give it a go. What's the worst that can happen? You'll become a zombie.

Oh, wait....

(Actually, I did the same thing that you did - scheduling a race a week or so after my anticipated C25K completion date and it was tremendous fun. I did do a double take at one point during that first race thinking "why are so many people walking?". I didn't realise that was an option! You'll be fine.)

Tremendous fun?! See now that seems like crazy talk ;) I am very excited to eventually get to the point where I am not so nervous and am having fun with it.

You'll be golden. A race day experience really is a great thing and it will open up a whole new world for you.

I did a Santa Run a few weeks ago where everyone dressed up in Santa outfits. There were parents with little kids at the side of the path waving and saying "hello Santa!". It was awesome.

Oh goodness, that is adorable!
    I'm actually going to see if there is one of those around me, for next year.
    I would also like to eventually do a color run.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    A major reason why I want to make the deadline is because I want my first 5k to be a zombie run, only down side being you have flags around your waist and if the zombies get all your flags you become a zombie yourself, so, not really a down side but I'd like to finish with all my flags.

Give it a go. What's the worst that can happen? You'll become a zombie.

Oh, wait....

(Actually, I did the same thing that you did - scheduling a race a week or so after my anticipated C25K completion date and it was tremendous fun. I did do a double take at one point during that first race thinking "why are so many people walking?". I didn't realise that was an option! You'll be fine.)

Tremendous fun?! See now that seems like crazy talk ;) I am very excited to eventually get to the point where I am not so nervous and am having fun with it.

You'll be golden. A race day experience really is a great thing and it will open up a whole new world for you.

I did a Santa Run a few weeks ago where everyone dressed up in Santa outfits. There were parents with little kids at the side of the path waving and saying "hello Santa!". It was awesome.

Oh goodness, that is adorable!
    I'm actually going to see if there is one of those around me, for next year.
    I would also like to eventually do a color run.
    Color runs are fun. Boy did that stuff get everywhere, though. The good news is, it all washed right out afterwards but it did take some scrubbing, especially for my hands.
  • LeenaJean
    I just recently heard about flavor runs, like a color run but it's flavored powder, not quite sure how I feel about that haha.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Hi, check out this thread and the link I posted to the C25K group. Good luck!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10034033/couch-to-5k-question
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Weeks 8 and 9 are really just "go out and run a 5k" anyway, or very close to it. (Week 8 is warm up, then run 2.75 miles, and week 9 is warm up, then run 3 miles). In reality, if you can run 2.75 miles anytime during week 8, you can run a 5k on race day. So don't worry if you need to repeat a day or even a week, because you have some wiggle room at the end of the plan.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Weeks 8 and 9 are really just "go out and run a 5k" anyway, or very close to it. (Week 8 is warm up, then run 2.75 miles, and week 9 is warm up, then run 3 miles). In reality, if you can run 2.75 miles anytime during week 8, you can run a 5k on race day. So don't worry if you need to repeat a day or even a week, because you have some wiggle room at the end of the plan.

If you use the distance-based version yes. Many choose the time-based though which ends with 30 minutes in the ninth week.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    AliceDark wrote: »

If you use the distance-based version yes. Many choose the time-based though which ends with 30 minutes in the ninth week.
    Oh, that's right, I forgot there was a time-based version.