Anyone feel like their weight loss is effortless?

Options
This thread is to share your TOP actual tried and true tip, habit or trick that makes the journey feel (and eventually become) a regular part of life.

Mine is - meal prep. Once a week or so, I take 10 minutes out to put together sandwich bags full of fruits and veggies (banana, berries, then throw them in the freezer. So when I'm ready so make a smoothie, no ice needed just put a baggie in the blender, add soy milk or coconut water, and blend and enjoy! This is something I ABSOLUTELY see myself doing for the rest of my life. It's kind of fun to mix and match different combos, and look forward to trying them later on in the week.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Focus on health.
  • Vanilla_Lattes
    Vanilla_Lattes Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I've been losing pretty effortlessly this time.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I wish it was.... Only at first is it effortless
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I always make sure my fridge and cabinets are stocked with quick, high protein, low cal foods I enjoy. I always bring my meals and snacks to work so I dont go to a vending machine or for the crap in the lunchroom!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Mine is working treats into my meal plan.

I love chocolate. I don't want to give it up. So instead of unrealistically cutting it out altogether (which would lead to cheats and chocolate binges), I work small amounts of it into my plan. I give myself permission to eat what's in the meal plan, and I don't feel guilty about it. And consequently, I'm not tempted to cheat.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    It's far from effortless. It requires a whole lot of effort, especially when you have a number of autoimmune diseases and other health issues.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    It's not effortless. If it was effortless, we wouldn't have gained weight in the first place.

I agree that planning and meal prep are key to long term weight loss and maintenance. But don't kid yourself, it takes some effort, maybe not a whole lot but certainly some, to set yourself up for a good week.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Track everything so I know how much I'm eating.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Yes. Once I was mentally prepared to do it, it has been easy. In the past I kpet telling myself "Okay, next week I'll start losing weight" Then that turned in to the next week, then the next, then a month, then two months...etc. I wasn't mentally prepared to do what needed to be done.

Then one day it hit me. Yep, today is the day. I'm tired of being chunky, it's time and since that mental click it really hasn't been hard.
  • segacs
    Options
    Also, I wouldn't say it's effortless. It takes effort and hard work.

But more accurately, I'd say it's not burdensome. The effort feels good, since I'm seeing results for what I'm putting in. And it's gotten easier as I've made some things into habits.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I still eat the stuff I like, but I learned moderation. Instead of eating a bag of Hershey's drops as a snack, I now have a cup of hot chocolate with whipped cream for dessert. I have learned to enjoy the treats that I consume and not mindlessly eat whatever is in front of me.

Similarly, I got myself into the habit of eating a ton of non-starchy vegetables and saving starchy veggies and grains as a compliment to my veggies and protein (and not the main component of the meal). It's scary, but I'm currently craving broccoli, and I consider a sweet potato or whole-wheat pasta as a rare treat that is more thoroughly enjoyed.
  • 8lackie
    8lackie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Since my life is not an episode of Breaking Bad, no! Every Twinkie I have to give up is a battle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My weight loss didn't necessarily feel effortless...I enjoy food and didn't really like having to eat less of it...but ultimately, I was so focused on my general health, nutrition, and fitness that it all seemed to go by pretty fast.

I've been maintaining for going on 20 months now and I don't log. My key has simply been a more nutritionally focused diet (noun) and regular exercise. I eat very healthfully and my diet consists largely of whole foods and meals prepared from scratch, whole ingredients. My "junk" intake is pretty minimal (except I love craft beer) and I train like I'm still going to get out there and compete for something big.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Of course it's not "without effort", but it's definitely not back breaking, earth shattering effort that I have to put forth. I pre-plan every day's meals in advance, attempt to work out at least twice a week, and move a little more in every day life. I don't find that this journey is a bother, I'm not starving, I don't "miss food", and the reward of a smaller number on the scale at the end of the week is so worth it. It's working just fine for me and I feel that I could definitely live like this forever. That's my plan anyway!
  • segacs
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    It's working just fine for me and I feel that I could definitely live like this forever. That's my plan anyway!

THIS.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Probably should change your thread title to something like "tips to make weight loss easier" or something to avoid confusion.

For me most important is to have a quick protein source available at all times. I precook 40lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts at a time.

Take fresh, unfrozen breasts and coat with extra virgin olive oil and spice of choice, I like Italiano spice mix. Place on a rack on a baking sheet covered with tinfoil and bake for about 27-32 minutes (depending on size of breasts) at 325 degrees, remove when they are still juicy and not dried out. Cool and then freeze on baking sheets making sure they aren't touching each other. Once frozen throw them in ziplock bags. Microwave as needed.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    As long as I do *my* part (log honestly and carefully, stay in a modest deficit, exercise moderately), the weight has shifted as expected. Of course, we have to put in effort. However, for me the "easiest* path was the slow one (0.5lb/week goal). I'm never crazy hungry, and if I do want to eat more, I do (within reason), and I never punish myself (by restricting or a crazy cardio session) for having a "big" food day.

Oh, and I NEVER overcomplicate things with strict food choice systems that don't fit my lifestyle For example, no "Paleo" or Keto for me, I need (want) my grains and legumes (and ice cream and cake sometimes, lol). It's senseless/prone to failure to force yourself into a way of eating, regardless of others' successes.

So what? It took me 8 months to shift 24 pounds. But, based on my experience, if I had done it "fast" and recklessly by giving in to "instant gratification", I can guarantee I'd have been miserable, self-destructing, and half way to gaining back anything lost by now. So, those are my tips (YMMV) for losing weight in a way that feels "easy" and sustainable.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I feel as though I have adapted to my weight loss efforts and they have become second nature to me..if that is what you mean.

But I am still putting in the effort to stay in a deficit. I still log everything, weigh and measure anything possible, plan to meet my macro goals..etc. It definitely seems easier, because it's what I'm used to, but it's still the same amount of work.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Your stomach is like your car's gas tank ... your body is like your car; you cannot run on empty and you will overflow if too full .... 1 is empty and 10 is too full. Eat when you are about 3 on the hunger scale and stop when you are about 7 on the full scale.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go as far as saying it's effortless. But that doesn't mean it's not "a regular part of life". Getting out of bed in the morning, cleaning the house, mowing the lawn are all chores that are (at least at times) very far from effortless. Yet it's part of our daily lives.

But it is important to keep it simple. Don't restrict yourself unnecessarily, don't get into any complicated eating plans, etc.

That is not to say that you don't have to work to figure it out. But that part is relatively short. Once you figure out what works specifically for you, just stick to that and the rest is much simpler.