Very Slow Weight Loss

Options
So over the last five weeks I have only lost 900Grams.

I am exercising and eating well. So I am wondering if this could be due to me weight lifting three times a week? Is it likely that I am building muscle while losing fat and because muscle is heavier than fat the losses aren't showing as clearly?

Replies

• crashchamp
    crashchamp Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    900 grams is almost 2 pounds, so thats about .5 pounds a week. depending on goals that is a decent rate of loss. Its unlikely your gaining muscle if you are eating at a deficit.
  • Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    But lifting would be helping me tone (I swear my arms are firmer) and stop me from getting saggy skin when I lose weight right?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    As said, you're not gaining muscle. If you lift heavy (3-5 reps, 3-4 sets, as heavy as you can handle) while eating enough protein (0.82 x your weight for grams of protein) then that can help you minimize losing lean body mass, and as such help make your body feel firmer. Saggy skin is very much related to how much weight you have to lose and how quickly you lose.

If you are new to lifting then you could be retaining more water, masking scale losses. Otherwise you are eating more than you think/need to, or a combo of both.
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Yes you are probably building muscle and toning. Sounds like you are on the right track, keep it up.
  • Medilia
    Options
    I am weighing food religiously so I doubt it is the latter. Hopefully I am retaining water, which means eventually I will stop and hopefully get a nice big loss. Haha.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    blueakama wrote: »
    Yes you are probably building muscle and toning. Sounds like you are on the right track, keep it up.

You are not building muscle if you are in a caloric deficit.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    could be newbie gains - but more importantly it's a great thing to be doing as you're getting stronger and helping protect your LBM from depleting as you lose weight

but I think the important thing to take out is that 0.5lb a week is a good weight loss if you don't have that much to lose

You do get water retention when you lift to help repair muscles microfractures at a cellular level when training (that's how it works) - this will also mask weight loss
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I had a time of 8 weeks with NO weight loss but lost inches in fat. I agree you are on the right track and tweak if you see the need. We are all different so our advice may never really apply to that of another. Keep up your good practices. Some build muscles when losing weight it is reported and some do not so you will hear both yes and no to your question. It seems to depend on several factors. If one needs to eat 2300 calories daily and only eats 2100 I think that person may build some muscle especially if they have little lean mass to start with. If the person needing 2300 is only eating 1800 calories muscle gain may be harder. Starvation dieting never works long term anyway for the long term health of one. Keep up the good job.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    blueakama wrote: »
    NOPE-With the exception of newbie gains, you don't build muscle in a deficit.
    OP, half a pound a week is fantastic, keep up the good work!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Here's an interesting article for you guys who keep saying you can't gain muscle while in a calorie deficit:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I see by your profile that you're targeting a 56kg loss, which is over 100lbs. So I'd think with that much to lose, you'd want to target a faster weight loss than 0.5lbs/week. If you don't mind my asking, what are your stats (age/height/current weight)?

Having said that, I also see you've set your calories at 1200, which is about as low as is safe to go for most people. And if you have 100lbs to lose, you're likely setting your calories too low, even with eating back some exercise calories.

It's really hard to say what might be going on here, without further information. Are you logging everything you eat, no cheating? Are you weighing your solids and measuring your liquids? Are any of your stats incorrect? Are you really a lot smaller than you think you are, and trying to lose too much weight? I really can't tell from your profile -- maybe add some info here and we can try to help you figure it out.

(To answer your original question, lifting weights should be helping, not hindering, your progress.)
  • Medilia
    Options
    Haha thanks everyone.
    I was kind of expecting to lose half a kilo every week (
  • Medilia
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I see by your profile that you're targeting a 56kg loss, which is over 100lbs. So I'd think with that much to lose, you'd want to target a faster weight loss than 0.5lbs/week. If you don't mind my asking, what are your stats (age/height/current weight)?

Having said that, I also see you've set your calories at 1200, which is about as low as is safe to go for most people. And if you have 100lbs to lose, you're likely setting your calories too low, even with eating back some exercise calories.

It's really hard to say what might be going on here, without further information. Are you logging everything you eat, no cheating? Are you weighing your solids and measuring your liquids? Are any of your stats incorrect? Are you really a lot smaller than you think you are, and trying to lose too much weight? I really can't tell from your profile -- maybe add some info here and we can try to help you figure it out.

(To answer your original question, lifting weights should be helping, not hindering, your progress.)

You have misread. I am targeting a weight of 56Kg. I am currently 67.9Kg so looking to lose about 10Kg
    I am 20yr,152cm (5"),67.Kg

Yes, every single thing is weighed and measured. the only exception this week was a small muffin which the serving size was 35g so I gave it the benefit of the doubt because I don't have scales at work. (My colleague bought them in.)

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Really, with just 10kg to lose, 900 grams a week is perfect. Just keep it up. You'll get there!

55835802.png
  • Medilia
    Options
    900 grams over 5 weeks haha.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I had a time of 8 weeks with NO weight loss but lost inches in fat. I agree you are on the right track and tweak if you see the need. We are all different so our advice may never really apply to that of another. Keep up your good practices. Some build muscles when losing weight it is reported and some do not so you will hear both yes and no to your question. It seems to depend on several factors. If one needs to eat 2300 calories daily and only eats 2100 I think that person may build some muscle especially if they have little lean mass to start with. If the person needing 2300 is only eating 1800 calories muscle gain may be harder. Starvation dieting never works long term anyway for the long term health of one. Keep up the good job.

You don't gain muscle in a deficit.

Also the bolder part doesn't make much sense (might be because I'm exhausted) but if your body needs 2300 and you eat 2100 you are in deficit and therefore will NOT gain muscle mass.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I lose anywhere from 0.2 to 0.5 a week. I think you're doing well.
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    How much cardio are you doing and how often?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Medilia wrote: »
    So over the last five weeks I have only lost 900Grams.

I am exercising and eating well. So I am wondering if this could be due to me weight lifting three times a week? Is it likely that I am building muscle while losing fat and because muscle is heavier than fat the losses aren't showing as clearly?

Unfortunately, muscle gain and fat loss are not simultaneous. While eating at a deficit, an obese person can generally build some muscle, and a person with little to lose might have some newbie gains, but that's about it. In order to build muscle, it's important to eat at a slight surplus and to eat a high protein diet.

A half a pound a week is perfect if you have little to lose.