Options
2»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ashmeg84 wrote: »
    How much cardio are you doing and how often?

Please share why this matters. Weight loss does not require exercise.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Yeah, well, I've lost about eight to twelve pounds a year, so I'm loving your half pound a week. You're doing fine.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Have you been taking measurements over this 5 weeks? Within this 5 weeks, did you just start your lifting program?

If so, you may have 2 things going on. When eating in a deficit you lose water, fat, and LBM. By lifting in a deficit you work to maintain that LBM so you lose mostly water and fat. It's the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" deal. If you're not losing LBM because you're maintaining it and losing water and fat, the scale won't move as fast. The other thing is, if you just started this routine 5 weeks ago, your body may be retaining water for muscle repair as it adjusts to the workouts. Now you're mainly losing fat, and even though you could be getting smaller you won't see large gains on the scale due to the retained LBM, and the body retaining water. Once the body adjusts, the water will flush and the scale will drop.

Have you been taking measurements? Are you getting smaller?
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I know its internet fitness gospel that you can't gain muscle and lose weight simultaneously yet somehow I did it every summer when I was younger and took a manual labour job when school was off. Usually lost 10-15 lbs and definitely put on some bulk. Body recomposition can happen gradually for regular folk who haven't already training a lot (and unlike already bulky body builders who undoubtedly cannot).
  • Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Have you been taking measurements? Are you getting smaller?

No I haven't been measuring. I moved recently and left a lot of stuff in storage at my parents including my measuring tape, I haven't been able to find where it is. I plan to get one this weekend.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    hamoncan wrote: »
    I know its internet fitness gospel that you can't gain muscle and lose weight simultaneously yet somehow I did it every summer when I was younger and took a manual labour job when school was off. Usually lost 10-15 lbs and definitely put on some bulk. Body recomposition can happen gradually for regular folk who haven't already training a lot (and unlike already bulky body builders who undoubtedly cannot).

It's not internet gospel, it's simply fact. Setting aside the fact that you saw changes in your body, how do you know you gained actual muscle?
  • Medilia
    Options
    I found an article online saying you can gain muscle. It requires serious lifting and protein. Don't know if my lifting is serious enough. I am upping weight every two weeks and shortening rests every week... but it doesn't really matter. What matters is I am losing weight and I am sure the weight lifting is helping me maintain muscle if nothing else.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Medilia wrote: »
    I found an article online saying you can gain muscle. It requires serious lifting and protein. Don't know if my lifting is serious enough. I am upping weight every two weeks and shortening rests every week... but it doesn't really matter. What matters is I am losing weight and I am sure the weight lifting is helping me maintain muscle if nothing else.

Was it this one? scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/

I hope you get some answers once you get a new measuring tape.
  • Medilia
    Options
    Yes it was that one lol.

Yes! I have to go get more ribbon for presents today so I will get it then too