Protein Bars

Options
2»

Replies

• jenifer7teen
    jenifer7teen Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    pure protien and think thin (although the they don't taste as good) are my usual go to.

cheap, high protien, low sugar.
  • Cacheola
    Cacheola Posts: 50 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Costco has Premier Protein bars... 30g... the choco tastes like *kitten*, but meh, what do you expect
  • SaraSteeves1993
    SaraSteeves1993 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Cliff bars are a good one also Lara bars for a more natural organic choice . You can get both of those at walmart.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I wrote 2 blog posts where I tried a bunch of different protein bars then rated them based on taste, nutrition and cost.

Here are the links:

http://meganwarerd.com/2014/05/29/the-best-protein-and-snack-bars-part-2/

http://meganwarerd.com/2014/05/13/the-best-and-worst-protein-and-snack-bars-under-150-calories/

(I am a registered dietitian).

Hope this helps!

10g of protein for a 200+ calories 'protein bar' is a joke. Makes it hard to take your post seriously.
  • SaraSteeves1993
    SaraSteeves1993 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Francl27,.. Not all protein bars are going to have upwards to 20+ grams of protein. Most go them vary from 10g to 20g . There's no nee to be rude about someone making a post trying to help others out.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Francl27,.. Not all protein bars are going to have upwards to 20+ grams of protein. Most go them vary from 10g to 20g . There's no nee to be rude about someone making a post trying to help others out.

She isn't being rude, but if more of the calories are made up from carbs or fats than protein then it isn't a protein bar.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

She isn't being rude, but if more of the calories are made up from carbs or fats than protein then it isn't a protein bar.

Yeah it was my point. If you're going to spend 200 calories in bar to get some protein, it's just a waste to get one of those bars that has 10g of protein. Sure, I'll have one occasionally as I like them (I just had a Kind bar, as a matter of fact), but if you're eating them for the protein, you're doing it wrong.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

Agree. If the protein to calorie ratio isn't 1:10 or thereabouts then it's not worthwhile.

Even if you look at the wrappers, most of the "protein bars" that she is reviewing, aren't even advertised as protein bars. They are nutrition bars.

She also loses me when she talks about the other bars and all of their ingredients and calls them crap. Just shows a lack of knowledge in my opinion.