Replies

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, why do people keep recommending McDonald's?

I mean, sure, eat it occasionally if you like it. But if you don't like fast food, why not just pack food in the car?

Because a big mac meal is like 1150 calories, nails the 1200 calories per day requirement super simple.

Yeah but she'd be hungry for most of the day if one Big Mac meal is all she could have. Better to space out the 1200 calories over the course of the day. IMO

It's too few calories for almost everyone - especially a 22yo female. Unless she's like 4'9" or in a wheelchair.

Actually not really. I don't know who this person is or what her circumstances are, but I'm 5'3" and 175 lbs and 49 years old and to lose just 1 lb a week I have to net around 1300. And that's at a high weight. If (when!) I get down to say, 150, still 20 lbs from my goal weight, I'll have to net 1200.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

I mean, sure, eat it occasionally if you like it. But if you don't like fast food, why not just pack food in the car?

Because they are usually a good place to stop for a restroom. If you're going to be stopping anyway, why mess with packing a meal?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Because a big mac meal is like 1150 calories, nails the 1200 calories per day requirement super simple.

Yeah but she'd be hungry for most of the day if one Big Mac meal is all she could have. Better to space out the 1200 calories over the course of the day. IMO

It's too few calories for almost everyone - especially a 22yo female. Unless she's like 4'9" or in a wheelchair.

Actually not really. I don't know who this person is or what her circumstances are, but I'm 5'3" and 175 lbs and 49 years old and to lose just 1 lb a week I have to net around 1300. And that's at a high weight. If (when!) I get down to say, 150, still 20 lbs from my goal weight, I'll have to net 1200.

Lift weights to increase your LBM and BMR so you can eat more. 1300cals is depressing
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

Because that's what OP is asking for? lol
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options

Lift weights to increase your LBM and BMR so you can eat more. 1300cals is depressing

I know and I do.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

And you are more than twice her age.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options

She said it's "too few calories for almost everyone." I'm hardly an outlier.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options

And by the time you are 20 lbs from goal weight, you shouldn't still have your goal set to lose 1 lb per week...it should be .5 lbs by then.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

could eat half now, half later.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Aren't you a bariatric patient?
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    We'll see
  • snowbunny711
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    22 year old female, you should be eating more than 1200 calories.

I know who this person is. She recently deactivated her account because she's got an eating disorder.

No I have never had another account. And I am so sorry for the individual who has an eating disorder, but I do not have one. Also this is not something to talk about lightly. Eating disorders are scary and are the main causes for suicide so please don't be talking about this. Road trips= Fun, exciting, and adventurous
    eating disorders= trauma, depression, anxiety, illness that should never be ignored.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I'm about to go on a 20 hour road trip and was wondering what I can eat during that 20 hours. Fast food or gas stations are the only stops we will be making my husband made that very clear lol any suggestions? Meal plans?

Cheese - grab some string cheese or those mini babybel cheese wheels.
    Protein bars
    Water, to avoid pop.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    22 year old female, you should be eating more than 1200 calories.

I know who this person is. She recently deactivated her account because she's got an eating disorder.

No I have never had another account. And I am so sorry for the individual who has an eating disorder, but I do not have one. Also this is not something to talk about lightly. Eating disorders are scary and are the main causes for suicide so please don't be talking about this. Road trips= Fun, exciting, and adventurous
    eating disorders= trauma, depression, anxiety, illness that should never be ignored.

No one is taking it lightly. We're all very aware of how dangerous eating disorders are.

Reevaluate your settings in MFP. 1200 cals is likely too low for you
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Pack some stuff for the car. Pack things like water, a sandwich, fruit, vegetables, hummus, granola bars, salad, yogurt, cheese, popcorn, or trail mix.
    Order an unsweetened iced tea and a small sandwich to have with stuff you packed from home.
    Look at menus of common fast food places and make a list of things that you can fit in your plan so you know what to order.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options

Aren't you a bariatric patient?

Lap band
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Unless you have thyroid problems or some other similar condition that affects your metabolism, your BMR should be around 1400-1500 kcal / day, and even if you did nothing more than slept for 8 hours and then sat and watched TV for 16 hours before going back to bed again you'd burn around 2000 kcal / day.

1300 kcal sounds low to me. I'd bump it up to at least 1500 and see what happens.

For the OP, 1200 kcal is ridiculous. You could eat almost twice that and still lose weight unless you are completely sedentary 24/7.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    OP I don't know where you are, but Sheetz gas stations/convenience stores have amazingly good food for when you're on the road. I'm sure they're not the only one, so look for the big chain gas stations and you should be able to make good food choices that fit your calorie budget.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Pack some stuff for the car. Pack things like water, a sandwich, fruit, vegetables, hummus, granola bars, salad, yogurt, cheese, popcorn, or trail mix.
    Order an unsweetened iced tea and a small sandwich to have with stuff you packed from home.
    Look at menus of common fast food places and make a list of things that you can fit in your plan so you know what to order.

This. We took road trips all the time when I was a child, we always had a cooler in the back and a box of non-perishable snacks. We usually just made a sandwich or had some fruit, crackers or juice whenever we felt hungry. Later on when bottled water started being a thing it became a staple of road trips. We only really stopped for gas or to use the restroom along the way.

Of course if you like fast food then you can use google maps and see what will be along the way and check out their menus for things you might like and prelog a few combinations to find something that fits in your goals.
  • Turning_Hopes_to_Habits
    Options
    1200 calories is not too low for everyone. It might be too low for some people, but it's a little arrogant to take what works for you and extrapolate it to the entire population.

That said, I wouldn't like to be capped at 1200 every day. I eat there or under some days, sure, but to have that be the maximum number of calories I can have without failing? No, too limiting for me.

Taco Bell has a handful of decent choices. They've got a Chicken Fresco something or other that is 230 grams (so I'm assuming filling), 340 calories, with only 70 of those calories coming from fat. I can't recommend it, I only saw it when I was checking out the nutrition info for what I do get there on road trips, which are the bean or black bean burritos. Those are about 200 grams, about 380 calories, with about a third of that coming from fat. But since I don't eat meat, those are what I usually get. Oh, and I love me some fat, I need some to get full, so I don't see higher fat things as bad. But if I did eat meat, the chicken fresco thing is something I'd check out.

I'm going to pack 2 Kind bars for our trip this weekend, but I have to be careful of those. They do keep me full for 2 hours or more on 250 calories or less, but they are so very, very good that I run the risk of saying "eff it!" and eating 2, 3, 4, more. They are basically candy bars made from good stuff, but hell, Oatmeal Raisin cookies are, too, right? :wink:

Hard boiled eggs pack well, you can even shell them first, wrap them in a paper towel, put them in a baggie, and it's good. Also, I like Campbell's Go soups-they taste fine room temperature, and all you need to do is tear open the pouch and you can eat them with a spoon or (carefully) tilt them up and drink them.

Finally, back to your original question, check out this WebMD link for their opinion on the Top 10 healthiest fast food meals.
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/10-best-fast-food-meals