Eating at restaurants used to be fun, now it's kind of stressful.

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    this whole thread just makes me sad...

+10000000
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    To be kind to your willpower, you can ask for a takeout container as soon as the meal is served and pack your half away immediately. Out of sight, out of mind. I don't trust staff to understand my desire for half a meal and if I ask them to do it for me they always mess it up. One confused waitress served my entire meal in the takeout container. Ugghhh.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    keola64 wrote: »
    LOL ... @ this whole thread

Why? Because someone is concerned about eating out and how many calories they might ingest in just one meal? It's not so "lol" if you have a certain number of calories remaining and the meal will put you way, WAY over for the day. And if they eat out three times a week? The pounds will slip on. I know plenty of people who are trying to lose weight but can't figure out why they aren't and it's because they eat out every single night.

so eating out a few times at a restaurant is going to make the "pounds slip on" ..please ...

If people are so paranoid that they are getting stressed out from gong to a restaurant then they need to reevaluate their thinking...

Calorie counting and dieting is good, but it should not run your whole life.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    dawn0293 wrote: »
    Every time I end up going out to eat at a restaurant that doesn't publish their nutritional information I feel like I am playing Russian roulette. It should be mandatory that consumers are allowed to know the contents of the food you are serving them. I have no way to log any of this stuff accurately because restaurants have a way of sneaking fats and oils into just about everything! I could have eaten an entire stick of butter today for all I know. I used to love trying new places. Now it's just a headache. I feel like such a cranky old lady getting my feathers ruffled at what should have been a good time but I can't help but wonder if I am going to regret this tomorrow. Blah.

Funny you should say that (note the bold). Obamacare has a new law in place that is forcing restaurants to put the calorie amounts on their menus. If they don't then they pay a hefty fine. The problem though is that the calories will be misleading as they are probably for one serving not the entire dish so someone will think they're dinner is 600 calories when it's only a normal sized serving that would be that amount while the entire dish could be way, way more.

ETA: To address the original question: choose something that looks like it hasn't been cooked in butter and oil like grilled chicken breast. If it comes with a side of veggies ask them how they're prepared. Steamed (with or without butter)? Grilled? Cooked in a pan with loads of oil and stuff? You can always ask them to NOT cook it in oils and butter. If that doesn't work see if you can get side salad with dressing on the side (since restaurants are notorious for drenching their salads in dressing). There are plenty of items you could choose that won't completely derail your eating and be low in calories.

Obamacare? :huh:
    Oh, I'm sorry the "Affordable" Healthcare Act.

You mean that one that made everyone's premiums and deductibles go through the roof? That affordable care act???
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    [quote="dawn0293;30602927"...I got the smallest steak they offered because they said that they couldn't do the chicken without the sauce (I guess it must be premade and frozen that way?)....[/quote]

Thats a fast food joint not a restaurant.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Every time I end up going out to eat at a restaurant that doesn't publish their nutritional information I feel like I am playing Russian roulette. It should be mandatory that consumers are allowed to know the contents of the food you are serving them. I have no way to log any of this stuff accurately because restaurants have a way of sneaking fats and oils into just about everything! I could have eaten an entire stick of butter today for all I know. I used to love trying new places. Now it's just a headache. I feel like such a cranky old lady getting my feathers ruffled at what should have been a good time but I can't help but wonder if I am going to regret this tomorrow. Blah.

Funny you should say that (note the bold). Obamacare has a new law in place that is forcing restaurants to put the calorie amounts on their menus. If they don't then they pay a hefty fine. The problem though is that the calories will be misleading as they are probably for one serving not the entire dish so someone will think they're dinner is 600 calories when it's only a normal sized serving that would be that amount while the entire dish could be way, way more.

ETA: To address the original question: choose something that looks like it hasn't been cooked in butter and oil like grilled chicken breast. If it comes with a side of veggies ask them how they're prepared. Steamed (with or without butter)? Grilled? Cooked in a pan with loads of oil and stuff? You can always ask them to NOT cook it in oils and butter. If that doesn't work see if you can get side salad with dressing on the side (since restaurants are notorious for drenching their salads in dressing). There are plenty of items you could choose that won't completely derail your eating and be low in calories.

Mmm hmmm yeah ok.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/health-care/obamacare-s-calorie-count-requirement-gets-delayed-20140228

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2014/02/07/obamacares-restaurant-calorie-label-mandate-is-impossible-to-implement/

http://dailysignal.com/2014/11/25/fdas-final-menu-labeling-rule-going-way-beyond-whats-required-obamacare/

https://www.federalregister.gov/regulations/0910-AG57/food-labeling-nutrition-labeling-of-standard-menu-items-in-restaurants-and-similar-retail-food-estab
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Mmm hmmm yeah ok.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/health-care/obamacare-s-calorie-count-requirement-gets-delayed-20140228

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2014/02/07/obamacares-restaurant-calorie-label-mandate-is-impossible-to-implement/

http://dailysignal.com/2014/11/25/fdas-final-menu-labeling-rule-going-way-beyond-whats-required-obamacare/

https://www.federalregister.gov/regulations/0910-AG57/food-labeling-nutrition-labeling-of-standard-menu-items-in-restaurants-and-similar-retail-food-estab

You did a lot of work for nothing... I already said Mmm hmmm ok.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Maybe realize that one meal isn't going to completely break you or take away all the progress you've made?

I'm not saying that it would. It could, however, stall my progress and I have been busting my butt to lose these last few pounds.

Not really. It's not as if you're eating all meals at a restaurant.

I haven't read through the responses, but there are a few ways to go about it...

1. Pick a similar entry in the database and purposefully overestimate calories and macros.
    2. Push off calories until later in the day (or whenever) you go out. That way, you have more of a "budget" to work with.
    3. Eat slightly less over the next few days to even it out.
    4. Increase activity (but don't go overboard and run 10 miles because you ate a few hundred cals over).

Really, just enjoy yourself... you'll do more harm stressing about it than you will ingesting a few hundred additional calories, which won't amount to that much of a difference in loss anyway.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Agree. :/

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

As I understand it, the new rules only apply to chains and the like. Not "mom and pop" restaurants. It's a start, of course.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Agree. :/

Very much so... :sad:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    You could eat at maintenance, make sensible choices, enjoy yourself and extend you dieting time frame by a single day alternatively.

Even if you went out once a month that's only 12 days added to your diet and twice a month would be 24.

Consistency is the trump card. Use it.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    You could eat at maintenance, make sensible choices, enjoy yourself and extend you dieting time frame by a single day alternatively.

Even if you went out once a month that's only 12 days added to your diet and twice a month would be 24.

That would be to much common sense!! LOL
  • tryshaantonelli
    tryshaantonelli Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    its especially hard where they post the calorie counts. its awesome to know what they are, but it makes it hard to justify ordering what you really want. and then you order something lower calorie and it sucks. might as well have ordered the 1700 calorie dish and just eaten a third of it.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    why? eat , enjoy,,, go work it off.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I still like going out to eat. If I don't know the nutritional value or there is no "light menu" I will eat half or so and stop.
    I don't want my social life to come to a halt. I like being out, so I just make it work for me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

A lot of truth to this.

That being said- I go out to eat weekly- so regularly going to high calorie places- my BF LOVES chili's (don't ask me I don't know whatever)- we do go to Olive Garden (don't be a hater- I love their salads)...

I'm still rocking out looking fabulous and not getting fat.

I eat 1650 daily which accounts for 3-4 moderate workouts a week. There is plenty of ways to work going out for a meal-
    > eating lighter through the week to bank some dinner calories
    > eating less through the day to give more budget for dinner
    > Logging a few extra min on your cardio
    > halving your portions
    > sharing a portion
    > grilled chicken/steak
    > all veggies
    > less sauce/sauce on the side.

seriously- if you're so stressed out about going for a none accounted for meal you need to take a step back and re-evaluate your mind set. It's perfectly reasonable to go out- take a stab at what you ordered- over estimate and not stall/back track progress.

If you spent half as much time worrying about what you ate Mon-Friday from 8-5 than you did on Friday from 5-10 you'd be in way better shape.- physically and mentally.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

A lot of truth to this.

That being said- I go out to eat weekly- so regularly going to high calorie places- my BF LOVES chili's (don't ask me I don't know whatever)- we do go to Olive Garden (don't be a hater- I love their salads)...

I eat 1650 daily which accounts for 3-4 moderate workouts a week. There is plenty of ways to work going out for a meal-
    > halving your portions
    > sharing a portion
    > grilled chicken/steak
    > all veggies

seriously- if you're so stressed out about going for a none accounted for meal you need to take a step back and re-evaluate your mind set. It's perfectly reasonable to go out- take a stab at what you ordered- over estimate and not stall/back track progress.

If you spent half as much time worrying about what you ate Mon-Friday from 8-5 than you did on Friday from 5-10 you'd be in way better shape.- physically and mentally.

Excellent post. It was the post I would have written...if I wasn't so goddam lazy.

I think part of this is the tendency of dieters to have a "perfectionist / all or nothing" mindset which is unhelpful.

perfect-is-the-enemy-of-the-good.png
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Definitely this.
    First the doesn't need to be any more rules/laws demanding restaurants to put nutritional information. These changes would put many of my favorite mom & pop places out of business.

Second, when I'm going out to eat depending on my goals at the time I pick based on what I've learned and make an educated choice. So if for one week I stall my weight loss it's not a big deal in the long term.

Also, if I'm going out I'm going for the full experience and I don't make every decision on my life based on calories / weight loss.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

A lot of truth to this.

> halving your portions
    > sharing a portion
    > grilled chicken/steak
    > all veggies

Excellent post. It was the post I would have written...if I wasn't so goddam lazy.

I think part of this is the tendency of dieters to have a "perfectionist / all or nothing" mindset which is unhelpful.

perfect-is-the-enemy-of-the-good.png
    lol- slow day at work for me already- no one is here- so my boredom trumped my lazy.

But nods. nods.... bolded part VERY true.