Eating at restaurants used to be fun, now it's kind of stressful.

Options

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    This is where making this a lifestyle change becomes important. Along the way, its important to learn how to make healthier choices such that it becomes easy. I eat out a lot. I avoid big chain restaurants and avoid stuff that I don't normally eat anyway.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »
    It occurs to me that though many are saying that a government mandate to provide nutrition information is getting in the way of business, the mandate will actually make a free market in restaurant meals a possibility. The concept of the free market, and the idea of the "invisible hand" guiding it, presupposes perfect information on the part of the consumer. Arguing against people having more information on which to base their purchasing decisions is actually arguing against the most effective part of the capitalist system.

So arguing against government mandating calorie counts, is actually arguing against capitalism/the free market? Interesting

Can you please post where you got this idea?

Wouldn't it be something like, if consumers actually wanted this information they would stop buying from those establishments and if enough stopped purchasing the establishments would then give them the information they wanted ?

Your assumption that all consumers know what kind of knowledge they need to know to make informed decisions is adorable.

So you feel all consumers are not smart enough to make decisions for themselves and need the government to handle everything for us?

1) I think people who don't know what to ask for won't ask for it, re the post I originally responded to.

2) Haha, I'm out of this thread, if it's down to comments like that.

You make a condescending remark calling something adorable????

But yet I ask you a question and all your do is run out of the thread? I thought it was an honest question to your post.

You are saying people are too stupid to ask questions and that we don't know what we want.. so we need the government to regulate everything to save the stupid people... or at least that is how your comment comes across. Please elaborate if that is not what you meant.

No that's pretty much what I meant

Ok though for real. Our bodies - our fat cells and metabolic systems and taste buds - are optimized to maximize our body fat because that helped us survive periods of famine. That's why we get fat and stay fat without some special commitment like daily calorie counting (which was a serious pain in the butt before e.g. mfp). That's why we love the kinds of things that make us fat. This happens without us really thinking about it.

Also, companies make money off of this fact. That's how they make a whack of profit, is by taking advantage of our fat cells and taste buds.

Calorie counting is a pain in the butt. Most people are ignorant of how to eat in a way that will help them not get or stay fat. Even when they know, it's hard, because body and mind fight it.

It's not that people are 'stupid', it's that 1) we have to fight a) our bodies and b) strong incentives by food manufacturers, advertisers and restaurants to not be fat, and 2) losing weight and keeping it off is really hard (not difficult, it's simple, but learning all the things you need to know to do it isn't easy and takes a lot of change for a lot of people).

So any help we can get, like governments forcing companies to make information available, is good

Because companies don't want us to think about how their food makes us fat. Because they make money off us not thinking about it.

No companies didn't make us fat, government forcing companies won't make us skinny. Learning how to lose weight isn't difficult, people make it difficult, but it's not. Sticking with it can be hard, but doesn't have to be miserable.

We got fat because we eat way too much of everything, we drive most places, we don't even get up anymore to change channels we all have remotes for everything. We are lazy.

Calorie counting is very easy to me, enter it adjust slightly done. It works and if you keep it simple its actually easy.

If I go into a restaurant and know I want to stay around my goals for the day and I have the choice between grilled chicken or fettucine alfredo .. I can make an easy pick on which one will better fit my goals for that day. Now if I go in and just finished a long bike ride I can easily go with the alfredo.

The more government gets involved and takes control the less people think for themselves and the more excuses you give people for not controlling their lives, their health and deciding whats best for them.

We need to stop blaming food companies, sugar, restaurants, the government, or whatever and whoever else for our poor decisions

oooooomg my head i can't with this

Thinking is hard.

right. no i just have an allergic reaction to libertarian codswallop

this is a FOOD AND NUTRITION THREAD - outie.

good luck, dawn.

I'm allergic to people who take no personal responsibility. Yes I know thinking for yourself and standing by our decisions is an out there concept anymore...

Really its a food & nutrition thread? You are the one saying people are too stupid to know what the best choices are for themselves and need the government to do that.

personal_responsibility.jpg
  • Wondertje
    Wondertje Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    @GiveMeCoffee‌ - Just a, not so random, question: Do you really believe that society and how laws and culture looks plays no part in how we end up? Are you one of those few that refuse to believe that people are influenced by things such as commercials, peer pressure and other similar things? No hate, just wondering.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    dawn0293 wrote: »
    Every time I end up going out to eat at a restaurant that doesn't publish their nutritional information I feel like I am playing Russian roulette. It should be mandatory that consumers are allowed to know the contents of the food you are serving them. I have no way to log any of this stuff accurately because restaurants have a way of sneaking fats and oils into just about everything! I could have eaten an entire stick of butter today for all I know. I used to love trying new places. Now it's just a headache. I feel like such a cranky old lady getting my feathers ruffled at what should have been a good time but I can't help but wonder if I am going to regret this tomorrow. Blah.

I hate eating out. It stresses me out because of the calories in the food, but it also stresses me out because of my food phobias from my SED/ARFID. So I avoid it unless I have absolutely no choice whatsoever.

• GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Wondertje wrote: »
    @GiveMeCoffee‌ - Just a, not so random, question: Do you really believe that society and how laws and culture looks plays no part in how we end up? Are you one of those few that refuse to believe that people are influenced by things such as commercials, peer pressure and other similar things? No hate, just wondering.

Yes I believe we all make choices and need to stand behind them. A commercial might look good but they aren't forcing me to go run out and purchase something. Peer pressure no I think yes people may try to influence you but again you need to decide what you want and not be so easily swayed from your beliefs.

If everyone just accepted that this is the life I was born into no one would ever attempt to better themselves. I think we've become a society of people that take no responsibility for themselves, are always looking for the next thing to blame.
  • Wondertje
    edited December 2014
    Options

Yes I believe we all make choices and need to stand behind them. A commercial might look good but they aren't forcing me to go run out and purchase something. Peer pressure no I think yes people may try to influence you but again you need to decide what you want and not be so easily swayed from your beliefs.

If everyone just accepted that this is the life I was born into no one would ever attempt to better themselves. I think we've become a society of people that take no responsibility for themselves, are always looking for the next thing to blame.

Personal responsibility is very important, but there are a thousand other factors out there that most people are less aware of and also less resilient to. I recommend you look up a few books or classes on human psychology 101 because your view of how "commercials don't force us to do anything" is not only wrong but can also be straight out damaging to people around you. I know this is slightly off-topic though, so you're more than welcome to send me a PM and we can continue discussing it in good manners without derailing this thread :smile:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

Personal responsibility is very important, but there are a thousand other factors out there that most people are less aware of and also less resilient to. I recommend you look up a few books or classes on human psychology 101 because your view of how "commercials don't force us to do anything" is not only wrong but can also be straight out damaging to people around you. I know this is slightly off-topic though, so you're more than welcome to send me a PM and we can continue discussing it in good manners without derailing this thread :smile:

Really? Sorry I worked in marketing and took many psychology classes.

Blaming commercials or any other outside source for your lack of conviction is much more damaging. I think everyone around me has survived 43 years they are probably safe. But please continue this thread is already so derailed please oh please tell me how I am straight out damaging those around me
  • Wondertje
    Options
    @GiveMeCoffee‌ - Sent you a PM and also explained why, happy to keep discussing it with you :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I think the hope with that law is that it will push restaurants to give more low calorie options. Which frankly is a good thing. And it's only for chains with more than 20 restaurants I believe.

My favorite restaurants are local/non chain places as well but I really wish they would clearly show the low calorie options on their menu. Often it's just sandwiches or salads with all kinds of nuts and cheeses or breaded chicken or fish and it's just tough to figure out what's 'safest' to eat. Then you have the other extreme where the 'light menu' is pretty much egg whites with veggies and fruit or plain oatmeal and you just want to ask them if really they have no option between 300 and 1000 calories.

So you want the government to take care of you then, right?

No responsibilities for what you eat. :unamused:

Huh what?

And yeah, I don't go out as much anymore. I fail to see how it's a bad thing, at least I'm saving money, and when we went out it was just with my family when I was too lazy to cook anyway... I still enjoy a good meal out once in a while. Just not once a week anymore. It is a lifestyle change after all.

And people who mention traveling... it totally sucked when I was in vacations for a week and we had to eat out all the time, quite frankly! Ended up gaining two pounds because a lot of places didn't have any 'healthy' choice, and I was hungry.

Your vacation sucked because you had to eat out and gained 2lbs.

Wow.

Ok... WTF? Where did I say that my vacation sucked? I said eating out every day sucked. And nowhere did I mention that it was necessarily some super tasty food. It was mostly diners and stuff, so not always the kind of stuff that is really worth the calories. We have two little kids. Going out to fancy places with them is not happening.

And it took me 2 months to get rid of those 2 pounds, for the record, so it wasn't really a 'temporary gain' (I gained 4, 2 of those were temporary, but again we spent a lot of time in the car). It's been hard for me to lose weight at this point so gaining weight because I didn't have that many options about what to eat sucked *for me*.

Wow you guys are really *****. Some of us DO care about that stuff. Why is it that hard to comprehend? Yeah 2 years ago I would have LOVED being able to go on vacations and eat out all the time. But that was 2 years ago, when I didn't care at all because I was in denial and thought I would never go over 200 pounds no matter how much I ate. Now I actually *gasp* care about what I eat. It has to be worth the calories. Believe it or not, having to eat pizza yet again when you would much rather eat something lighter does suck for some of us. And only seeing high calorie options on a menu when you had a big lunch but are still hungry can be quite disheartening at times. I love my pizza and my desserts and high calorie foods, but when I actually want them. And I need volume, half a high calorie meal will typically just leave me hungry 2 hours later.

I guess that 'everyone is different' is a concept that is going completely over your heads.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    I think the hope with that law is that it will push restaurants to give more low calorie options. Which frankly is a good thing. And it's only for chains with more than 20 restaurants I believe.

My favorite restaurants are local/non chain places as well but I really wish they would clearly show the low calorie options on their menu. Often it's just sandwiches or salads with all kinds of nuts and cheeses or breaded chicken or fish and it's just tough to figure out what's 'safest' to eat. Then you have the other extreme where the 'light menu' is pretty much egg whites with veggies and fruit or plain oatmeal and you just want to ask them if really they have no option between 300 and 1000 calories.

Huh what?

And yeah, I don't go out as much anymore. I fail to see how it's a bad thing, at least I'm saving money, and when we went out it was just with my family when I was too lazy to cook anyway... I still enjoy a good meal out once in a while. Just not once a week anymore. It is a lifestyle change after all.

And people who mention traveling... it totally sucked when I was in vacations for a week and we had to eat out all the time, quite frankly! Ended up gaining two pounds because a lot of places didn't have any 'healthy' choice, and I was hungry.

Wow.

Ok... WTF? Where did I say that my vacation sucked? I said eating out every day sucked. And nowhere did I mention that it was necessarily some super tasty food. It was mostly diners and stuff, so not always the kind of stuff that is really worth the calories. We have two little kids. Going out to fancy places with them is not happening.

And it took me 2 months to get rid of those 2 pounds, for the record, so it wasn't really a 'temporary gain' (I gained 4, 2 of those were temporary, but again we spent a lot of time in the car). It's been hard for me to lose weight at this point so gaining weight because I didn't have that many options about what to eat sucked *for me*.

Wow you guys are really *****. Some of us DO care about that stuff. Why is it that hard to comprehend? Yeah 2 years ago I would have LOVED being able to go on vacations and eat out all the time. But that was 2 years ago, when I didn't care at all because I was in denial and thought I would never go over 200 pounds no matter how much I ate. Now I actually *gasp* care about what I eat. It has to be worth the calories. Believe it or not, having to eat pizza yet again when you would much rather eat something lighter does suck for some of us. And only seeing high calorie options on a menu when you had a big lunch but are still hungry can be quite disheartening at times. I love my pizza and my desserts and high calorie foods, but when I actually want them. And I need volume, half a high calorie meal will typically just leave me hungry 2 hours later.

I guess that 'everyone is different' is a concept that is going completely over your heads.
    And people who mention traveling... it totally sucked when I was in vacations for a week and we had to eat out all the time, quite frankly!

Right there is where you said your vacation sucked.

Also why can't you go out to fancy restaurants with little kids?? When my kids were young I took them to all kinds of restaurants, because I had taught them to behave appropriately and to enjoy good food.

Diner food can also be delicious. Did we say we didn't care what we eat?? No we said we don't let it ruin vacations, time with family etc. Because it is not the end of the world. You also choose the places you went to, so you choose the ones that limited your options.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

You are responsible for YOUR own decisions, period.
  • randomtai
    Options

Huh what?

Wow.

And people who mention traveling... it totally sucked when I was in vacations for a week and we had to eat out all the time, quite frankly!

Right there is where you said your vacation sucked.

Also why can't you go out to fancy restaurants with little kids?? When my kids were young I took them to all kinds of restaurants, because I had taught them to behave appropriately and to enjoy good food.

Diner food can also be delicious. Did we say we didn't care what we eat?? No we said we don't let it ruin vacations, time with family etc. Because it is not the end of the world. You also choose the places you went to, so you choose the ones that limited your options.

^^ All of this right here.
  • randomtai
    Options

Really? Sorry I worked in marketing and took many psychology classes.

Blaming commercials or any other outside source for your lack of conviction is much more damaging. I think everyone around me has survived 43 years they are probably safe. But please continue this thread is already so derailed please oh please tell me how I am straight out damaging those around me

Stop damaging me!!!!!!!!! :laugh:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Huh what?

Wow.

You put the food in your mouth, nobody else did, unless of course their was gunmen who made you do it. ;)
    Train your children young so you can go to fancy places, I did.
    I go to Disney once or twice a month and I eat their the whole day and I just make wise decisions or have a splurge day.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Excuse #1............................
    Excuse #2............................
    ETC.
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It occurs to me that though many are saying that a government mandate to provide nutrition information is getting in the way of business, the mandate will actually make a free market in restaurant meals a possibility. The concept of the free market, and the idea of the "invisible hand" guiding it, presupposes perfect information on the part of the consumer. Arguing against people having more information on which to base their purchasing decisions is actually arguing against the most effective part of the capitalist system.

So arguing against government mandating calorie counts, is actually arguing against capitalism/the free market? Interesting

Wouldn't it be something like, if consumers actually wanted this information they would stop buying from those establishments and if enough stopped purchasing the establishments would then give them the information they wanted ?

Your assumption that all consumers know what kind of knowledge they need to know to make informed decisions is adorable.

So you feel all consumers are not smart enough to make decisions for themselves and need the government to handle everything for us?

1) I think people who don't know what to ask for won't ask for it, re the post I originally responded to.

But yet I ask you a question and all your do is run out of the thread? I thought it was an honest question to your post.

You are saying people are too stupid to ask questions and that we don't know what we want.. so we need the government to regulate everything to save the stupid people... or at least that is how your comment comes across. Please elaborate if that is not what you meant.

Ok though for real. Our bodies - our fat cells and metabolic systems and taste buds - are optimized to maximize our body fat because that helped us survive periods of famine. That's why we get fat and stay fat without some special commitment like daily calorie counting (which was a serious pain in the butt before e.g. mfp). That's why we love the kinds of things that make us fat. This happens without us really thinking about it.

Also, companies make money off of this fact. That's how they make a whack of profit, is by taking advantage of our fat cells and taste buds.

Calorie counting is a pain in the butt. Most people are ignorant of how to eat in a way that will help them not get or stay fat. Even when they know, it's hard, because body and mind fight it.

It's not that people are 'stupid', it's that 1) we have to fight a) our bodies and b) strong incentives by food manufacturers, advertisers and restaurants to not be fat, and 2) losing weight and keeping it off is really hard (not difficult, it's simple, but learning all the things you need to know to do it isn't easy and takes a lot of change for a lot of people).

So any help we can get, like governments forcing companies to make information available, is good

Because companies don't want us to think about how their food makes us fat. Because they make money off us not thinking about it.

No companies didn't make us fat, government forcing companies won't make us skinny. Learning how to lose weight isn't difficult, people make it difficult, but it's not. Sticking with it can be hard, but doesn't have to be miserable.

We got fat because we eat way too much of everything, we drive most places, we don't even get up anymore to change channels we all have remotes for everything. We are lazy.

Calorie counting is very easy to me, enter it adjust slightly done. It works and if you keep it simple its actually easy.

If I go into a restaurant and know I want to stay around my goals for the day and I have the choice between grilled chicken or fettucine alfredo .. I can make an easy pick on which one will better fit my goals for that day. Now if I go in and just finished a long bike ride I can easily go with the alfredo.

The more government gets involved and takes control the less people think for themselves and the more excuses you give people for not controlling their lives, their health and deciding whats best for them.

We need to stop blaming food companies, sugar, restaurants, the government, or whatever and whoever else for our poor decisions
    I think you nailed it thank God......
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    LCloops wrote: »

I think you nailed it thank God......

(*)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    This thread went from being merely sad to derp...can we go derper?

hurr-durr-derp-face-derpception.jpg
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Huh what?

Wow.

386205574.gif
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ermagerds, did I just read "HIDDEN CALORIES!"

Is that like a crouching chicken breast, hidden calorie thing?