Cleaning calories

Options
124»

Replies

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I think it depends what you have your basic activity level set to. I don't count cleaning unless it is an all day thing because I use "Lightly Active". I know some people pick "Sedentary" and then log any moving they do at all. I would think that would be more accurate, but I have neither the time to log so much nor the desire to. I mostly rely on my Fitbit, except if it is something that wouldn't pick up.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I count my 'spring cleaning' activities, it is hiit in the house or garden. Regular cleaning- no.

Just think of all those people who log their Fitbit etc 10,000, or any amount, steps which are at a stroll, and part of their everyday activity, I only log a purposeful high speed walk.

It is all very subjective, I log 'spring cleaning' so I don't lose anymore weight, others so they can see why their weight has fluctuated, others because it is their only activity.

MFP is a tool and one uses it so it is to their benefit, and theirs alone.

Cheers, h.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If you do a big clean like my mom spring cleans, beating rugs and climbing on ladders and whatnot, hell yeah count it. I mean stretching's in the database.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Man. I really thought this was going to be another clean eating thread.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Man. I really thought this was going to be another clean eating thread.

haha me too!

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If I spend thirty minutes or more cleaning, I'll log it because my normal daily calorie burn is based on me sitting in front of a computer all day. Cleaning burns more than that, so I log it.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If I spend thirty minutes or more cleaning, I'll log it because my normal daily calorie burn is based on me sitting in front of a computer all day. Cleaning burns more than that, so I log it.
    Log it as what Tim?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Log it as what Tim?

yes, how do you know how to log it?? It can't be a generic entry as everyone will move differently

• paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Routine cleaning like bathrooms, kitchen etc that I do most days are part of my base. When I do a major cleaning (straightening out the garage) that only occasionally gets done I count it as exercise.
  • tomatoey
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Log it as what Tim?

http://calorielab.com/burned/?mo=se&gr=11&ti=Occupation&wt=150&un=lb&kg=68

you can change the weight at the top of that table

scrubbing on hands and knees = 182 cals/hr for me (143 lbs)
    mopping = 163
    general cleaning = 130
    washing dishes and cleaning kitchen at church (??) = 85. I guess maybe that's a time where you just have the one set of footprints or whatever. (jk)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Log it as what Tim?

mopping = 163
    general cleaning = 130
    washing dishes and cleaning kitchen at church (??) = 85. I guess maybe that's a time where you just have the one set of footprints or whatever. (jk)

That made me snort out loud, thanks a lot @tomatoey :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    spm2010 wrote: »
    I notice there is always a big debate for if you should or shouldn't count calories from cleaning. Here is why I do and please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I am doing a massive clean today, I mean my whole house top to bottom, I will be moving furniture, dusting the ceiling, vacuuming, carrying stuff out to my shed, cleaning out every closet, scrubbing baseboards, packing away summer and fall clothes (yes I am that slow lol), scrubbing counters, toilets and bath tubs, cleaning under my fridge and stove, cleaning in my stove and a lot more. That is a lot of hard work that will take me hours, so why are some people so against including that in their exercise for the day?

I don't count stuff I normally do every day as exercise.
    If I did a massive whole house cleaning or a bunch of yard work that I don't do very often and it was pretty physical then I would count it as exercise.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

This is usually my method, too. My daily activity changes a lot day to day, due to my health. Some days I am fairly active, others I struggle just to get out of bed. I'm often too lazy to log my cleaning and such, but on principle, I consider it a sound idea. I think it would probably be already included in the "lightly active" category, but since the sedentary number is almost equal to my BMR, anything past breathing and heartbeat will raise my maintenance calorie amount.

That being said, if I were to log it just to "get" additional calories for food, I could see myself overestimating and exaggerating a bit just for that extra bit of chocolate :p . That might work for other people, but I have expert-level self delusion powers. "Technically, I am vacuuming by turning on the roomba, so I should totally eat that extra slice of pizza"
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Log it as what Tim?

mopping = 163
    general cleaning = 130

That made me snort out loud, thanks a lot @tomatoey :)

;)