What to cut out. An explanation please.

Options

Replies

• iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I will add this.... Candy is very calorie dense, you get a few bites for 100 calories spent. Where as, fresh vegetables are the opposite, You can eat a ton of cucumber or green peppers or lettuce for that same 100 calories. So, you want to aim at balancing that out. :D
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Processed food, all that is ready...sugar, bread, bubbles, beer, or at least try less. I lost 100lbs in 3 years, maintaining now for a year by eating 1800 a day.

There is nothing wrong with "processed foods", sugar, bread, carbonated drinks or beer. There's no need to cut these things out. Just exercise moderation when eating ALL foods and maintain a calorie deficit.
  • purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    For me counting calories is most important. Do I cut stuff out? Kind of, I choose not to drink my calorie but sometimes have coffee. I use to love soda. I stopped for 6 months and now I don't like it as much. Also I want to eat the most food for less calories so I tend to eat more veggies and low calorie foods. Instead of pasta I eat spaghetti squash. Instead of regular bread I eat 90 cal hungry girl flat bread or whole wheat thin slice bread. I could never go no carb or no sugar. I would never succeed like that. I'm down 62lbs with not much exercise.
  • dc1745
    dc1745 Posts: 69 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I would recommend monitoring your calorie intake and keep that number at a deficit as your FIRST priority. That is 80% of the battle. The reason the trainer recommended you eat lower amounts of sugar and carbs is that those types of macronutrients do not make you feel full. Think of this example: if you eat pancakes with syrup for breakfast, you are more likely to want to overeat because they are not as filling as eating eggs, whey protein or other high quality proteins.

On the days that I meet my goal of 2,200 per day (which is the target set by MyFitnessPal) eating mostly carbs, I am almost always still hungry at the end of the day. When, however, I eat more high-quality proteins my satiety (meaning, my level of fullness) is much more satisfied. The feeling of fullness, to me, comes by eating the right types of foods.

I hope this makes sense, and you take this into consideration in your own life. It will make your weight loss journey more manageable.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    I think that others have sufficiently answered this - eat a calorie deficit.
  • stevew_68
    stevew_68 Posts: 126 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I wish there was a like button. You would get one. lol
    My cals are set to 2000, which I set myself as I thought thats what men should have.
    TBH, when people mention Macros, my mind blows. I will have to learn about that. Dieting seems a lot more complex that some people ( not you guys, but slimming clubs etc ) make it out to be.
    Do you think I should drop my daily calorie goal. Here is a screen shot of my net cals for the last 7 days.
    hh5un68v8azm.png
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Here is my suggestion - go to the Scooby Workshop calculator, Enter your details, put a deficit of 15-20% max. Eat as much food as you can while trying to lose weight - better to lose more slowly and retain as much muscle as you can while losing. You don't win anything for losing quicker than anyone else, but you can lose a lot more than weight.

I'm 5'6", 147 lb and 45 yr old...to lose weight at my activity level, I can eat close to 2000 calories. If I were to be someone who can't exercise or move much, I'd be able to eat 1400 calories...so if you are male and bigger than me, you should be eating WELL above 1200 calories.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    It's not complex - all you need is a reasonable calorie deficit. It only becomes that way when you start worrying about certain foods being bad and others being good. Macros are for general wellbeing, reaching certain fitness goals, and feeling more satiated.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ Calculate your calories and macros using this and eat the same amount every day. This will show you your basal metabolic rate which is what you burn existing. You should not net below that. Or set MFP to your activity level and to a reasonable loss per week and eat back exercise calories.
  • stevew_68
    Options
    I'm 232.4 lbs, 6'1, 46 years old and next to no exercise, but trying to build up by getting walking again. ( back problems )
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    In the Scooby calculator at sedentary and a 20% deficit, it shows you should be eating 2040 calories. You will lose on average 1 lb a week (but you might lose more). Honestly, why not do it the slow way...you'll learn how to eat for life, portions etc. And as you add more exercise to your programme, you can eat more. If you want a higher deficit, I would not go beyond 25% cut.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    stevew_68 wrote: »
    I'm 232.4 lbs, 6'1, 46 years old and next to no exercise, but trying to build up by getting walking again. ( back problems )

Using IIFYM your BMR is around 2000 calories. Being sedentary, your TDEE is about 300 cals more. you should net around 1900-2000 calories to lose at a reasonable rate.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I cut out sugar, potato and wheat...no bread, pasta. (I will have these things every once in a while...like once or twice a month when dining out.) Limit saturated fats, but unsaturated fats are fine and even healthy. And make sure you eat a lot of protein...I target 30% of my calories from protein. 15% is not enough.

Many people will say you can eat anything as long as you reduce calories. That is true, but you can lose more fat if you limit carbs and eat a lot of protein. And if you eat a lot of protein more of the weight you lose will be fat loss and less muscle will be lost. There is research that proves this. Finally, eating protein will keep you feeling full much longer than carbs. This will naturally help you reduce overeating.
  • stevew_68
    Options
    I tried it but wanst sure what to put for macros. Just keep getting NaN
  • stevew_68
    Options
    TBH Im struggling to get to 2000. If I try for 2014 I reckon I'll been eating junk
  • stevew_68
    Options

Using IIFYM your BMR is around 2000 calories. Being sedentary, your TDEE is about 300 cals more. you should net around 1900-2000 calories to lose at a reasonable rate.

No idea what those abbreviations stand for lol
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Basal metabolic rate = what you burn just existing (not moving all day)
    Total daily energy expenditure = what you burn with daily activity included.

Protein should be about 100-150 grams
    Fat 50-80 grams
    Carbs for the rest.

If you're having trouble eating enough, eat more calorie dense foods. Add oils, peanut butter, avocado, nuts, full fat versions of milk and yogurt, etc.
  • dc1745
    dc1745 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would actually eat more, you seem to be eating too little in an attempt to lose weight more quickly. I would prefer to see you lose 1 to 1-1/2 pounds a week max, and make it a lifestyle change, then lose 3 lbs a week and yo-yo diet the rest of your life.
  • stevew_68
    Options
    I agree dc1745. I dont want to yoyo. I want my old slim active self back, and back for good.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    TBH Im struggling to get to 2000. If I try for 2014 I reckon I'll been eating junk
    If you are struggling to eat enough calories, you can try adding in more healthy calorie dense foods. Snack on almonds. One serving (a small handful) is almost 200 calories. Add in things like natural peanut butter...heart healthy fat, a little protein, and high in calories (about 95 calories per tablespoon). Eggs, olive oil, avocado...these all have very high nutritional value but are relatively high in calories. Depending what you like, you could snack on fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese...it depends on your tastes.
  • stevew_68
    Options
    So, correct me if I'm wrong. To get a 'sensible' weight loss ( not too fast but sustainable ) If I stick to around 2000 ( just shy of what Scooby recommends ), but eat more cals to get closer to the 2000 mark, and try not to go over and try to do more exercise, I should be good. I go over on sugar and sodium some days, then others I way under so it sort of evens itself out on that