What to cut out. An explanation please.

Options

Replies

• stevew_68
    stevew_68 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    At the risk of confuddling things even more, I currently have a deficit for the week of about 6400 cals. Should I take much notice in this at the end of the week, or just go day to day. I couldnt in a million years ram 6400 cals down my throat, even if I tried, just to balance the books so to speak
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    If your net calorie numbers are accurate then you are definitely not eating enough. Your approach should be not "how little can I eat" but "how much can I eat to either maintain or lose weight". The body is pretty amazing and if not fueled appropriately it will adapt and learn to live on fewer calories. You do not want this to happen (search these forums or youtube for "metabolism adaptation".

We're about the same height and I started at 245 lbs. My activity level is lightly active without exercise and I was able to lose 1 lb per week at 2250 net calories. I am now easily maintaining at 2650-2700 net calories.
  • stevew_68
    stevew_68 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thats good, especially at so many cals
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    auntrhon66 wrote: »
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I cut out sugar, potato and wheat...no bread, pasta. (I will have these things every once in a while...like once or twice a month when dining out.) Limit saturated fats, but unsaturated fats are fine and even healthy. And make sure you eat a lot of protein...I target 30% of my calories from protein. 15% is not enough.

Many people will say you can eat anything as long as you reduce calories. That is true, but you can lose more fat if you limit carbs and eat a lot of protein. And if you eat a lot of protein more of the weight you lose will be fat loss and less muscle will be lost. There is research that proves this. Finally, eating protein will keep you feeling full much longer than carbs. This will naturally help you reduce overeating.

that's just crazy...why should I cut out foods if I don't have to....stop please spouting this...
    You're the one who sounds crazy saying that everybody needs to eat exactly what you eat. I never said you have to do anything. The man asked for advice...I am telling him what has worked the best for me and what some of the recent research seems to indicate.

If you actually read my post you would see that I did say you can eat anything if you reduce calories. My point is, you can lose faster if you limit the bad things.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    We tend to do that, Steve -- we conscientiously cut back a bit more than we need to in order to lose weight. We reach for the low-cal light slim products more than we need to. Amazing at what we must have been eating to gain all this crappy weight, huh!

My average intake is just above 1700 calories, I've lost 80 lbs in 162 days and I'm 51 5'11". My only exercise is additional walking. I started with 3 times a week for 30 minutes. I probably do 5 times a week for 45-60 minutes most weeks.

I really don't use the other websites or calculators or worry too much about macros -- I just really go with what MFP recommends. This has become an education for me, but I started much like you are starting.

My advice above all: don't stop logging. Bad days, binges, family crises -- log through all of it. The biggest danger is quitting and picking it up months later. If you log through the disaster, you're back in control as soon as your next meal. And that's all that is needed: better control, not perfect control. Losing weight is actually pretty easy, as I think you're finding.

Good luck
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    And that's net calories, which means on days I do exercise (usually only 2-3 days a week) I actually consume closer to 3000 calories and still maintain my current weight between 194-197 lbs.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Losing weight can be done while eating any sort of diet, healthy or not. You cut back the calories far enough, you lose weight.

Exercise is a big help for many, but isn't necessary to lose weight. To be healthy and fit, cardio exercise and weight-lifting are recommended.

"Macros" means macronutrients (i.e. carbs, protein, fats.) "Micros" means micronutrients (e.g. calcium, potassium.) One is not more important than the other, but macros are much easier to track. If you want to learn about eating healthy, this is a great place to start: http://www.fitness.gov/eat-healthy/how-to-eat-healthy/

You should visit your doctor (all weight loss journeys should be overseen) and get a referral to a dietitian who can start you off with how to eat, if you're serious about all this.

Good luck!! :)
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    I cut out sugar, potato and wheat...no bread, pasta. (I will have these things every once in a while...like once or twice a month when dining out.) Limit saturated fats, but unsaturated fats are fine and even healthy. And make sure you eat a lot of protein...I target 30% of my calories from protein. 15% is not enough.

Many people will say you can eat anything as long as you reduce calories. That is true, but you can lose more fat if you limit carbs and eat a lot of protein. And if you eat a lot of protein more of the weight you lose will be fat loss and less muscle will be lost. There is research that proves this. Finally, eating protein will keep you feeling full much longer than carbs. This will naturally help you reduce overeating.

that's just crazy...why should I cut out foods if I don't have to....stop please spouting this...
    You're the one who sounds crazy saying that everybody needs to eat exactly what you eat. I never said you have to do anything. The man asked for advice...I am telling him what has worked the best for me and what some of the recent research seems to indicate.

If you actually read my post you would see that I did say you can eat anything if you reduce calories. My point is, you can lose faster if you limit the bad things.

There is no "bad things" when it comes to food...lol. I never said anyone had to eat the same foods that I eat.

There certainly are bad things when it comes to food. Ask any doctor about trans fats...that's why some places are trying to ban them now. Sugar has no nutritional value at all and does a lot of bad things to your body. Show me one scientific study that says sugar is helpful for weight loss...or even for good health.

You can eat anything you like, but eating these things will give your poorer results than if you restrict them. You are not thinking clearly if you believe otherwise.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Unless there is a medical condition, just think of it as a series of choices. You will figure out what works for you. You can have any food you want. How often, how much-I really believe that's individual. I'd rather have my slacker days from time to time where I don't pay nutrition or weight loss any mind, so knowing that, I try to capitalize on better motivated days by picking foods that for me are not just nutrient dense, but also filling and help me get my protein met. Others here are great at balancing their choices out each day.

We each all have different needs and goals, too. If someone is not motivated to increase nutrient dense foods but is motivated to do portion control, start there. I don't feel that you have to pick something that you can do for the rest of your life. We're flexible, we're adaptable. Start where you are and keep going. Just keep evaluating and making changes based on the results. :D
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Just like your mother (or grandmother) told you. Some foods are "better for you" than others. For more information about healthy choices, check out the "Healthy Eating Plate" from Harvard's School of Public Health.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options

There is no "bad things" when it comes to food...lol. I never said anyone had to eat the same foods that I eat.

There certainly are bad things when it comes to food. Ask any doctor about trans fats...that's why some places are trying to ban them now. Sugar has no nutritional value at all and does a lot of bad things to your body. Show me one scientific study that says sugar is helpful for weight loss...or even for good health.

You can eat anything you like, but eating these things will give your poorer results than if you restrict them. You are not thinking clearly if you believe otherwise.

lol...you are some piece of work. Go ahead and keep demonizing food...I'm going to keep losing weight and actually enjoy what I eat.

If you consider saying that trans fats are bad for you to be "demonizing food", then so be it. They are bad for you...that's why New York and many other cities have banned them in restaurants recently. Eat what you want...it's your life.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

I wonder if sometimes the issue is just what people mean by the word "bad". To a chronic dieter it could have moral connotations "I'm bad if I eat this", or thanks to the "12 foods you should never ever ever eat or you will die OMG!" ads that keep popping up all over this site, it could mean that it will ruin all your progress if you have a bit. In that sense, no food is bad in moderation.

As far as health outcomes, obviously a nutrient dense food is going to have more beneficial effects on your body than one without any nutrients. And there are a few things, not many, that have actually been linked to poor health (trans fats, mercury tainted fish, etc). Diets rich in foods that are low in fibre and nutrients and high in calories have been correlated in large observational studies to poor health. So, in that sense, you could call a nutrient poor, calorie rich food bad or unhealthy, though unhelpful or counterproductive might be a more precise term.

I want to make it clear that I'm not suggesting cutting out all low nutrient foods if you don't want to; that can easily set you up for binges, and also kind of make your life miserable, frankly. I'm just saying, that all things being equal, there are better choices for your body.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Just like your mother (or grandmother) told you. Some foods are "better for you" than others. For more information about healthy choices, check out the "Healthy Eating Plate" from Harvard's School of Public Health.
    That is better than My Plate and keeps it simple. I'm going to start using that instead of My Plate to say, "Check this out!"

I'm so glad experts have decided to make this simpler for people. That pyramid business was crazy confusing and made people less, not more, inclined to try to eat better.

Thanks for sharing. :)

• JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    If you want to feel good and lose weight, you should do more than just eat at a deficit. Cutting down on processed junk and moving toward whole foods closest to their natural form is really good for you. You also cut down on unnecessary calories and can load up on more food. I tend to get super bloaty when I eat too much salt, so that's something I watch out for. I started cutting back on sugar (not cutting it out completely) because it's just a healthier way of living. Anyway, a lot of people have given you good advice. I hope it's all helpful in one way or another.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options

I wonder if sometimes the issue is just what people mean by the word "bad". To a chronic dieter it could have moral connotations "I'm bad if I eat this", or thanks to the "12 foods you should never ever ever eat or you will die OMG!" ads that keep popping up all over this site, it could mean that it will ruin all your progress if you have a bit. In that sense, no food is bad in moderation.

As far as health outcomes, obviously a nutrient dense food is going to have more beneficial effects on your body than one without any nutrients. And there are a few things, not many, that have actually been linked to poor health (trans fats, mercury tainted fish, etc). Diets rich in foods that are low in fibre and nutrients and high in calories have been correlated in large observational studies to poor health. So, in that sense, you could call a nutrient poor, calorie rich food bad or unhealthy, though unhelpful or counterproductive might be a more precise term.

I want to make it clear that I'm not suggesting cutting out all low nutrient foods if you don't want to; that can easily set you up for binges, and also kind of make your life miserable, frankly. I'm just saying, that all things being equal, there are better choices for your body.

I think we are saying the same thing. I still have things are aren't very good for me...the difference is I now make them an every once in a while thing, usually in social situations, instead of a daily part of my diet. I feel no guilt when I have them, but I am not going to eat them every day. I find that I feel much better and have more energy when I eat healthy...my skin even looks better!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I think it's important to note that with a calorie deficit you are ultimately limiting the amount of protein, carbs, fat, sugars, etc. you can eat anyway. Unless you're getting your 2,000 calories a day by drinking cups of olive oil and not eating actual food, i'd say it's pretty damn hard to significantly over eat in one of those areas anyway.

If i were you my focus would be the following:
    1.) Accurate calorie logging. I see some of the days it says 1000-1200 ish calories. Is that actually accurate? Generally when i see a man log that low (and theyre not sick) I first think about what they could be missing. Are you measuring the foods you're eating? Are you logging all condiments? Are you logging all drinks? etc.

2.) Finding a macro balance that works for you in regards to satiety while on this caloric deficit. Perhaps having higher protein ratio works for you, perhaps higher fat works, perhaps higher carbs lower fat, etc. You want it to be balanced (eating enough of all but enough where it's sustainable).

3.) Lastly, i'd be logging accurately over a period of time and tracking your weight loss. Are you losing accordingly with the calorie goal you set? If not, adjust the calories up or down as necessary.

good luck!

edited to add: Dont try and make things too complicated for yourself. Atleast not until you've done this and tracked your success for a long while and you just want to hone-in on some small adjustments. As long as you're eating in a calorie deficit and you're feeling full/having enough energy/able to stick to this diet (and the foods you're eating right now) in the long run, you should see great success.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Point of reference...

I'm the same age as you, the same height and I even look similar :smile:

I started @ 257 and ate 2250 to LOSE, I am now 201-205 and eating 1900 to lose. I am rarely under my calorie goal but I am not over by much either. I don't exercise much and when I do it's usually to make room for more food.

My point is that 50 pounds down I am still eating at the same general range. Sure, the loss has slowed recently but that's a good thing as I get closer to goal. Pick a target calorie goal and eat close to it again and again and again and you will lose. This is as simple as it gets. Keep it that way!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

OP - ignore this bro science…

limiting carbs has nothing to do with increased fat loss….

please post said research...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Losing weight can be done while eating any sort of diet, healthy or not. You cut back the calories far enough, you lose weight.

Exercise is a big help for many, but isn't necessary to lose weight. To be healthy and fit, cardio exercise and weight-lifting are recommended.

"Macros" means macronutrients (i.e. carbs, protein, fats.) "Micros" means micronutrients (e.g. calcium, potassium.) One is not more important than the other, but macros are much easier to track. If you want to learn about eating healthy, this is a great place to start: http://www.fitness.gov/eat-healthy/how-to-eat-healthy/

You should visit your doctor (all weight loss journeys should be overseen) and get a referral to a dietitian who can start you off with how to eat, if you're serious about all this.

so if you don't go to a dr, you are not serious?

I have never been to a dr or dietician and I have lost 50 pounds and kept if off. I guess I am not serious and did it wrong…
  • Kalikel
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »

so if you don't go to a dr, you are not serious?

I have never been to a dr or dietician and I have lost 50 pounds and kept if off. I guess I am not serious and did it wrong…

That's not what I meant. Having a doctor oversee your weight loss journey is good advice and is given by every expert. A dietitian will be a big help to someone who knows nothing about nutrition and wants to start eating healthy.

None of it had anything to do with you.

Stop trying to pick fights.