Anyone else really cold?

Options
I am freezing all the time. I can feel the air is warm. I am dressed in warm clothes. I am COLD. Fingers and toes feel cold to the touch. I am inside in front of a fireplace wearing a sweater, flannel shirt, jeans, socks, slippers and a hat.

I don't have an eating disorder (really - I've been on here a long time and eat the calories I'm supposed to, log my exercise, and eat those calories back) and am well within a healthy bmi (21). When I was in high school and college - a gazillion years ago - I was this weight and also always cold.

Any suggestions? Fat seems to help - I just ate some peanut butter and can feel myself warming up. Baths help too - they can warm me up for hours. Anything else?

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    When was the last time you saw your PCP? Last time you had routine blood testing?

When someone says they are cold, the first thought that comes to mind is they might have low iron (anemia). I would give your PCP a call and have them send you for lab work.

ETA: Another thought is poor circulation since you mentioned your fingers and toes are cold to the touch.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Low iron could definitely cause that as could thyroid issues. Couldn't hurt to get some blood work done just to rule out any potential issues.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Smaller people (Generally women) are more sensitive to temperature changes. Bundle up more and stay away from drafty areas of your house.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Sounds normal.

More alcohol and more activity will make you warmer.

Adding a humidifier might decrease sweat cooling.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Sounds normal.

More alcohol and more activity will make you warmer.

Adding a humidifier might decrease sweat cooling.

Uh… What?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I'm always cold too
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Have you lost a lot of weight recently? When we're less fluffy it's natural to get cold more easily. You don't have a lot of body fat. But if you are concerned about it and think you might have an issue you could check in with your doctor to see what he/she thinks. Hopefully it's nothing and you just need to bundle up next to a fire/ heater. :)
  • heanbean92
    Options
    I'm always cold. Turns out my circulation is awful.
    I had a pulmonary embolism at the end of last month and nearly died.
    Not trying to scare you, but I really would urge you to go to a doctor.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    heanbean92 wrote: »
    I'm always cold. Turns out my circulation is awful.
    I had a pulmonary embolism at the end of last month and nearly died.
    Not trying to scare you, but I really would urge you to go to a doctor.

^Glad to know you are okay. That's scary.

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Yes me... I'm always cold too
  • heanbean92
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »

^Glad to know you are okay. That's scary.

Thank you! People associate PEs with the elderly, obese and sedentary. I am 22, a healthy weight and take regular exercise. My only risk factor was the fact that I smoked (I have since stopped!).

Now I'm determined to raise awareness.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I went to my doctor about always being cold, he said it was normal for a person who has lost as much as I have to get super cold.
  • heanbean92
    Options
    I went to my doctor about always being cold, he said it was normal for a person who has lost as much as I have to get super cold.

The comparison of your clothes in your profile picture really does prove how much weight you've lost! Fantastic job! :)
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Just to add...I've always been cold for as long as I can remember... even before I lost weight and was 45lbs heavier I was still always cold. Blood tests are all normal, no anemia. I guess I'm just doomed for a life in cozy big warm oversized sweaters, scarves, tights, boots and gloves :D. Could b worse haha
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked out by your doctor for anemia? My sil, the nurse, keeps asking me. I don't have anemia - they keep their house as 65 degrees!

Sometimes, if I have worked out, sweat a bunch and not taken a shower, I'm cold at home. If I take a shower, that helps get rid of the chill. If I'm too lazy to do that, wrapping up in a blanket works, sort of, but the shower is better.
  • heanbean92
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Just to add...I've always been cold for as long as I can remember... even before I lost weight and was 45lbs heavier I was still always cold. Blood tests are all normal, no anemia. I guess I'm just doomed for a life in cozy big warm oversized sweaters, scarves, tights, boots and gloves :D. Could b worse haha

I'm so glad you went to the doctor about it! I know it's winter, but since my health scare I've been telling people to go to the doctor for everything! And you're so right, cosy clothes are soooo comfortable. :D

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    ALL of my testing comes back fine, in fact Dr was quite impressed with my Folate panel...but everything is FINE that can be tested! Like you, I'm freezing ALL the time. i wear layers, sleep with an electric heating pad on at a low setting and drink hot beverages.
    Many people have suggested that i test for this or test for that...however i've lived chilly for so many years that i've accepted this as just "me". At one time i thought it was connected to weight, but now I don't--others smaller and skinnier are just fine when i'm shivering! Good Luck!!!
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    My hands are always cold too. My feet are occasionally but more so my hands. I had blood tests a while back and was told they were all normal. My mum tells me it's because i lost my blubber lol.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Always cold too.
  • al142
    al142 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This time of year I drink lots of hot drinks. They make me warm for 20 minutes or so. A hot bath works too but there are only so many of those you can legitimately take a day.