Anyone else really cold?

Options

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    First get your thyroid and your iron checked, see what your doctor says. I'm always cold and my thyroid is half dead. Taking my meds helps, but it's not a miracle. I gotta dress for it.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Time for my checkup next month, so I will ask. Thank you. My circulation IS lousy and always has been. And my thermometer is 68. But a thyroid and iron check wouldn't hurt.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh... that is the worst thing about having lost all this weight! I am freezing all the darn time. I even had to buy an electric throw blanket to put over me while I'm watching TV or on the computer. I just canNOT get warm. I wonder if this "Coldness" will even go away and I'll get use to being thin?
  • MadMaddy2014
    MadMaddy2014 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been cold a lot also, recently and it is not that cold here. We have temp set at 70. I have been wearing coats on top of my sweat shirts. I also have a doctor's appointment next month with my oncologist, but maybe I will call my PCP.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thank you! People associate PEs with the elderly, obese and sedentary. I am 22, a healthy weight and take regular exercise. My only risk factor was the fact that I smoked (I have since stopped!).

Now I'm determined to raise awareness.

Yes, you're right! Blood clots are not just for the elderly, obese, and sedentary. Even tennis superstar Serena Williams almost died from a PE a few years ago.

In fact, everyone I know that's had a PE (or other blood clot) has been a healthy and relatively young (under 40). I have several friends who have had them and survived. Sadly, one of my colleagues died suddenly from one at 38. He was athletic and healthy, and had absolutely no warning signs.

A low resting heart rate is another risk factor for PEs, and you see that often in young, healthy, physically fit people.

As far as being cold all the time -- I totally am! I've had bloodwork done to test iron levels, thyroid function, and a few other things. It turns out I have Raynaud's and a tendency for pernio/chillblains. The doctor's have said that it's partly genetic, partly my age (early 40's), partly that I'm female, and partly my low body fat. My toes are always like ice. The doctors have also said that I'm at low risk for blood clots because my blood is very thin and does not coagulate easily. So, I wouldn't say that being cold all the time means you're automatically at higher risk of PE or other blood clots.

I hope you find an answer!
  • rachellll98
    Options
    you can drink hot tea all day long!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Okay, just so no-one gets themselves hospitalized for hypothermia.

Alcohol does not make you warmer. It is, in fact, dangerous if you are actually in a situation where your body temperature is dropping.

Alcohol is a vasodialtor (expands blood vessels). That's why your extremities FEEL warmer after a drink. If your body temp is okay and your feet are cold, yes, a drink can make you feel more comfortable.

If your CORE temperature is dropping, one of the reasons your hands and feet are so cold is vasoconstriction response. Your body loses most of its heat from the head and extremities. Your body, in an attempt to keep the core temperature up, constricts blood movement to those spots to keep the blood from cooling MORE and circulating to the core, thus reducing your blood temperature more.

So, to make a long story short: If you're in a properly heated area and you're FEELING cold, but you have a body temperature of above 98F, yeah, a drink is safe and your hands and feet will feel warmer.

If you're out in the cold or something and starting to shiver, you should know your first aid for hypothermia.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Been cold my whole life. My co-workers always joke that the air conditioning must be broken if I've had to take off my 2nd sweater. I'm sitting in my office right now with long underwear and a sweater on, with a space heater pointed right at my feet. I've had all the tests done, general consensus is it's just normal for me.
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Same here. always cold since losing weight. Had bloodwork done this year and brought it up to my PCP, she ran the panel and checked. No issues, except I lost 63 lbs.

Oh well...had to upgrade the wardrobe anyway.

If that's the worst thing to come out of this (and it is so far) I'll take it.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I am, actually. I figured it was the 66 pounds of fat I've lost, but now I feel like I need a doctor visit to be on the safe side.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It's summer atm here, I always loved summer, but so far this year, I found it disappointing, it's either a colder summer this year or it's just me, there only been a few days I can sit back in shorts and shirt, but my nightfall I'm back in heavy clothes with a beanie on again, I froze a lot in the winter, sometimes my fingers or toes would become numb and turn white.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Just to add...I've always been cold for as long as I can remember... even before I lost weight and was 45lbs heavier I was still always cold. Blood tests are all normal, no anemia. I guess I'm just doomed for a life in cozy big warm oversized sweaters, scarves, tights, boots and gloves :D. Could b worse haha

Same for me. Have had cold hands and feet since being a toddler. I guess it's poor circulation; no doctor ever thought it worth checking out and I just learned to live with it. I will say in summer my hand and feet feel "normal" aka warm, not ice cubes.

• Aust1967
    Aust1967 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50 lbs. over the past year and a half - and now I am freezing all the time (not just my hands and feet, but my entire body). This is brand new - I don't have a history of being cold at all. I went to the doctor today just to make sure it isn't due to a thyroid issue and/or low iron. He thinks that the coldness might be related to another issue I have been experiencing - my lips and eyes have started swelling overnight (in the morning it looks like I got collagen injections in my sleep) - and, I have been having night sweats (which I chalked up to peri-menopause so wasn't concerned about). They drew blood and he's going to have lots of tests run to see what is going on. I might not hear until next week - I'm anxious to see what the verdict is.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What I find works for me in Winter is to have a bowl of hot homemade soup with my meal, that really does the trick, otherwise I am cold all the time. Once I have the soup and that warmness flows through my body I can shed some of the clothes I am wearing.
    Home made soup: carrots, small potatoes, chicken or fish, seasoning, pumpkin, soup fixture, onion, olive oil plus anything else you can think about and you are well on your way to keeping warm
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Experimenting today, hats help.

Oh, and cats. Cats on the lap help.

As I said, when I was young and thin I had this problem. Now I'm old and thin. My normal body temperature is 98.2 or lower using any thermometer they try. I also have wicked low blood pressure. It's just what it is. I'd still rather be thin :)

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My colleague swears it is poor circulation. As we lose weight, everything gets floppier, including blood vessels. That's her working theory. She used to do cold-weather camping and she swears that white fat does NOT have insulating qualities. In her words, it "absorbs cold all day and then radiates it back in to you all night".
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    well now i'm terrified that this soreness in my calf is a blood clot.....

but i'm always cold as well. Mostly after I go on runs, but I hear that's common. I've only lost about 30 pounds so not a ton, but....I wonder how long it takes for your body to adjust....
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Have this problem too, and this is what makes a HUGE difference for me:

1) Wear shoes and socks at all times, but don't put then on unless your feet are already warm. If they are cold, do #2 first.
    2) Sit on the edge of your tub or the counter of your bathroom. Run a sink or tubful of warm water, and soak your feet for 2-3 minutes. Soak your hands too if they are cold. Dry and immediately put on thick socks and shoes.
    3) Don't let your hair 'air dry'. Whenever I have wet hair I am colder until it dries completely. So I blow dry a lot in the winter, and I don't put it up in a bun or anything if it's wet.

Congratulations on your weight loss!
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Feeling cold after weight loss is common. I'm enjoying it, although I find it comes and goes (I'll have a colder week, then feel normal again). I can wear my old sweaters again, and will be asking for long-sleeved shirts for Christmas (it will be nice just having some shirts that fit now that I've gone from size 24-16). I don't mind not getting as sweaty as I used to at all. It can be a lot easier to warm up than cool down. I use activity and a space heater to warm up ;) ....
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    Feeling cold after weight loss is common. I'm enjoying it, although I find it comes and goes (I'll have a colder week, then feel normal again). I can wear my old sweaters again, and will be asking for long-sleeved shirts for Christmas (it will be nice just having some shirts that fit now that I've gone from size 24-16). I don't mind not getting as sweaty as I used to at all. It can be a lot easier to warm up than cool down. I use activity and a space heater to warm up ;) ....

In the exact same boat. :) Size wise too. ;) It's nice not getting as sweaty, though my hands are icicles at the moment. I used to have a fan on me at work during the winter (last year) and this year not at all, in fact I'm thinking of getting a heater. Lol. I'm going to assume it's the weight loss, my friend is super super tiny, she wears a sweatshirt in the summer! I'm hoping to one day be there. Haha.