Has anyone given up bread pasta and potatoes?

Options

Replies

• JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    no but i gotta go get me a baked potato right now
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I never ate too much bread and pasta, rice was my downfall. I've actually been really good with cutting most of it out (not completely since I still need my fix sometimes), but it hasn't been as hard as I thought. :)
  • msketo
    msketo Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes, I lose about 1 lb a week by not eating starch (keto) :D
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    I've cut down on simple carbs significantly- especially sugar. I limit my pasta intake because it is extremely difficult for me to limit my portions (being Italian and all). Same goes for bread, but even more so- I love bread so much that I will eat an entire loaf (italian or portuguese, not sandwich). I will occasionally indulge, but my results have been far better with far less of them.
  • nomayo
    nomayo Posts: 228
    Options
    I haven't really "given up" bread, pasta and potatoes, but I try to not eat them right now because I can't stick to my portions, I can't just have one slice of bread, I have to eat and eat and eat. This is the reason why I'm not consuming those that much lately. I rather eat veggies. But if I go out with my husband, or I'm invited to a party or something, and let's say, pasta is the only thing available, I will eat it.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I **CAN'T** eat any of those things because I am gluten intolerant and apparently potato intolerant. I didn't even know you could be potato intolerant but apparently I am. I have been gluten free for over a year and potato free for a few months. Let's have a moment of silence please...

I have not magically lost any weight by going GF or potato free and actually gained at first because I was trying out a bunch of gluten free recipes. If I could still eat those foods then I would, hopefully without going overboard.

My opinion is (because I KNOW you were waiting with baited breath for it!) if you want to see if it makes a difference then cut it out but don't expect miracles. You could possibly find you have an intolerance to it but intolerance doesn't mean it's automatically stored as fat. I have a friend who is also gluten intolerant but it manifests for her that she can't gain weight no matter what she eats. And before you wish for that let me just say she wishes to gain as fervently as we wish to lose.

We are all so individual and some have metabolic issues that would make this a good idea but so far I'm unconvinced it holds true for everybody.
  • sarahfashion861
    sarahfashion861 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have gave up pop, bread, chips, fried foods. I eat meat, veggies, fruit and small portion pasta and rice. I have lost about 30lbs in 4 and half months.
  • riboui
    riboui Posts: 8
    Options
    As a generalization, humans become attached to whatever carbohydrate source they learn to eat early in life, whether that is wheat, rice, potatoes or cassava. It's not surprising that most posters here would be attached to wheat, and be loath to voluntarily give it up.

I personally removed grains, rice, potatoes, and legumes from my diet several years ago after logging my food intake for a few weeks and noticing how high my carbohydrate intake was. I found it very effective in reducing carb and calorie intake. Also the preponderance of fats and protein in my diet seemed to reduce my hunger considerably.

On the flip side, I found it difficult to eat an adequate amount of carbs, and would occasionally dip into ketosis. I eventually added some oatmeal, or a small amount of rice (2 tablespoons) to my meals. I now am back to eating all grains, but in far smaller quantities that before.

Other people I know who have gone the no starch route, have done so to kick start their weight loss. They will follow a very low carb diet for a few weeks then bump carbs back up. From what I've observed, it seems to be effective, and they are able to consistently lose weight and keep it off.

In logging my food intake here on MFP, it seems to recommend a carb percentage of around 55%. I find that higher than what I would prefer, and conversely the protein percentage too low. I don't have any problems with the recommended calorie amount. I just find myself more satiated with a lower carb amount and higher protein amount. I don't know if it's possible to adjust those within MFP.
  • RoamingDuck
    RoamingDuck Posts: 74
    Options
    I've stopped eating refined white grains like rice, pasta, and white bread. However, I still eat them OCCASIONALLY if I am having a cheat meal or day.

I've found that if you cut out these high calorie foods that are relatively low in nutrition, you can replace them with highly nutritious foods like fruits and veggies, or even more meat or dairy. You find that you can eat refined grains endlessly because they do not have a lot of nutrition, and therefore leaving the body craving more! However, eating lean protein and veggies that are full of nutrion will not leave you feeling like a bottomless pit. I think it's worth it. :]

I still use wheat bread for my sammiches btw.
  • ravenbard
    ravenbard Posts: 51
    Options
    I have been told by my Endocronologist to not eat any pasta, or potatoes. I am allowed 1 piece of whole wheat toast daily but that even spikes my sugar readings. It is very hard for me to cut out breads and potatoes since I love them both and feel so hungry not being able to have them anymore. For some I would say moderation is the key but for others they have to omit them from their diet.
  • pinkpatron
    pinkpatron Posts: 154
    Options
    I recently cut back a lot on pastas, white bread and potatoes. I'm around genuine Sicillian Italian family members all the time so cutting out pastas and breads completely is impossible lol

The main reason for me is that diabetes runs in my family on my mothers side, and I really don't want diabetes.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I think I would implode if I gave up pasta and potatoes!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    No, my Italian family would put a hit out on me if I turned down grandmas pasta and bread.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Nope, nor will I ever. I am Italian and we live off that stuff :P
  • swenger_rn
    swenger_rn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you are a person who has insulin resistance or has a very hard time losing weight it can be beneficial to help with weight loss. I have always been heavy despite reducing calories drastically, exercising like a maniac, etc. My Dr. says this can happen with insulin resistance. I took his advice and went off all "white" - no crackers, breads, rice, pastas or white potatoes. Have been at it for 12 months and don't miss them at all. For fruit I eat the least glycemic index of fruits including watermelon, honey dew, and canteloupe as well as strawberries. They also have the lowest calories. I live on lots of protein 80-100 gms per day, low starch vegies, and the fruit. I am losing weight at about 1 - 2 lbs per week working out 2-3 times a week. In 12 months I have lost 85 lbs. I do not miss the carbs with the "whites" and may someday try a bite or two now and then but it will never be a source of "food" for me at all. When I eat spaghetti I serve the sauce over a can of green beans. I love it and people thought I was crazy until they tried it and many of them as well as me like it more than with the pasta. It can be done and does help with weight loss if you have insulin resistance or have a difficult time losing. Good luck to you!!!
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I actually added potatoes to my diet as a healthy option. I don't do pasta very often anymore because it isn't very filling to me. I eat bread in moderation.
  • callistasky
    callistasky Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't not eat things that makes me crave them more! I do eat less of items. Instead of potatoes, I have cauliflower, or maybe some farro or similar grain. I found that I gradually cut back on the items by trading other things for them. I used to eat toast for breakfast, not I have eggs or yogurt because the protein keeps me full for longer. Instead of potatoes, I have a helping of veggies similar like squash (butternut), or a green veggies slightly undercooked that adds extra "chew" to it so I feel like I am eating more.
    I eat bread, and I eat pasta but not in the amounts I used to. If I told myself to never eat something I wouldnt be able to stop until I had it, whether it be pasta, potatoes, or a donut. Also, I find that when I do have those items I appreciate the flavor more. It's almost like eating a potato is a treat to myself and something that I really appreciate- instead of it just being a carb to have with dinner.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Yeah, giving up bread, pasta, and potatoes is super easy. Gimme my steak and buttered broccoli.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I eat all of those things and my weight loss isn't suffering from it. It's all about moderation and counting your calories. Surely pasta and potatoes aren't low in calories, but that doesn't have to be a problem if you saved most of your calories for dinner. Whenever I plan to eat pasta, that's what I do. Either that, or I have a small portion.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I don't limit potatoes, but then again I don't eat them too often anyways (may 1-2 a week). I have had great success limiting myself to one serving of bread or pasta a week. I found that any more than that, I bloat up and don't lose as quickly. One serving a week is enough to keep me from going insane, but keeps me in check weight-wise.