Replies

• Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    A few beers? Four shots and I'm drunk.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I find that I have a much lower tolerance than before. I can't drink more than 2 glasses of wine anymore.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Yikes, a few beers would have me unconscious probably. I get rather drunk on just one. Weight loss makes it so you get to be tipsier on fewer calories, think of it that way!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me too. Can't have more than 2 units in a day or I get giggly and after 3 I have a raging hangover. I'm not cheap though. I see it as a reason to order the most expensive drinks I can find!!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will happen to my tolerance. I do not think so though.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Mix your alcohol with fats and you will last longer. The fat in food will slow down the digestion/processing of the alcohol into the bloodstream. A lovely tray of antipasti (olives, cheeses, and salamis) work well. Or slow down in your drinking - it's cheaper, lol.
  • maria0elisa
    maria0elisa Posts: 199 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Getting drunk on not very much? =having fun on fewer calories whilst spending less money!
    win-win!!
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Same here 2 12 oz beers get me pretty buzzed
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    One time this girl wanted to challenge me to a drinking contest and said I hope you can drink seven beers. I just laughed and said seven beers is nothing. Lets see if you can get into the double digits for drinks.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    4 beers. Yes. Alcohol makes you drunk. Not sure why this is a surprise...

You're smaller therefore you need to eat less. That means that you need to drink less as well to get the same blood alcohol concentration.

Also, because it's been a while since you have had alcohol, the enzymes you have to break that alcohol down have decreased since they weren't being used. They need to build back up gradually (it's just like digesting dairy. If you cut dairy out for a year, the same thing would happen. Except it would be lots of poop instead of being drunk)
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    yeah, after around 70 lbs weight loss, I'm now a lightweight. I used to be the party girl that mixed drinks all night..a few beers, a few glasses of wine, a long island iced tea, some margaritas. It took a lot for me to get drunk and only if I drank them quickly back to back. Now, 1 drink and I'm drunk. :-(
  • shonako
    shonako Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    lol LIGHTWEIGHT!
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Assuming a good buzz is the desired effect, look on the bright side, now it's much cheaper for you and much easier to get to your desired level of buzzedness. ;)
  • holyfenix
    holyfenix Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Being able to get drunk off less alcohol is the best benefit of losing weight IMO. Sure people think I'm lightweight now but I just laugh as my wallet isn't empty at the end of the night...or I might be laughing because I'm blitzed...jury's out
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Spiderkeys wrote: »
    sorry I forget to mention, I havent ate today either, still nothing like that has affected me much in the past, even after just 1 beer I couldn't go and drive anywhere, oh well, I plan to drink no more beers until next christmas...

That, combined with being dry for a long time, can make what seems like a small amount of alcohol have a disproportionate impact even without weight loss.

Many years ago, I worked at one of the Army R&R bases in the middle east, where soldiers would have their first chance to legally drink after what was sometimes 9 months of living where alcohol was prohibited. Even though they were limited to 3 drinks a night, that could be enough to get them problematically intoxicated.
  • jane837
    jane837 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've turned into a lightweight too! It's definitely a triple whammy: weighing much less, drinking much less often, and having less food in my stomach at any given time.

The other crazy thing is how hard it hits me if I go for a drink or two after the gym... Anyone else find that working out makes you extra sensitive to alcohol?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    jane837 wrote: »
    I've turned into a lightweight too! It's definitely a triple whammy: weighing much less, drinking much less often, and having less food in my stomach at any given time.

The other crazy thing is how hard it hits me if I go for a drink or two after the gym... Anyone else find that working out makes you extra sensitive to alcohol?

Honestly the only thing drinking does after the gym is ease DOMS if I have it. I used to make it a challenge to go out when my legs are DOMS on Fridays.

• sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Go home, Pearl.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    sorry I forget to mention, I havent ate today either, still nothing like that has affected me much in the past, even after just 1 beer I couldn't go and drive anywhere, oh well, I plan to drink no more beers until next christmas...
    this is it, i had the same problem. lesson learned you have to eat something or drink lesser. also advisable to drink water in between bottle or when you start to get drunk
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Would this have anything to do with my weight loss? I'm nearly half the person I used to be, yet i've been avoiding my old habit of drinking beers for a long time because they are so high in calories, yet today, because it was nearly christmas, I drunk 4 beers, feeling so different, can't walk straight, yet I feel like a drunk half a cartoon.

You've become a lightweight. I'd imagine less body fat plays a role too, but if you haven't drank in awhile, your tolerance has gone down.

I noticed that when I wasn't doing much drinking at all for an extended period of time. The next time I was drinking shots and liquor again, I drank half as much as I used to, and it hit me like a brick wall. Blanked out the rest of the night.

Unfortunately, I've built my tolerance up again...