Is it an issue if I simply don't want to jog?

Options
Sued0nim
Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I assume I am not missing out on something. I just don't want to be a runner/jogger ...it simply holds no appeal for me

To put this in perspective I walk fast...I walk a minimum of 5 miles a day if I'm not on a workout day. My workouts include at least 20 mins high resistance cardio ...generally elliptical, I sometimes do time on the stepper or the treadmill (walking fast at a 10% incline) and I do push-ups, squats, lunges, TRX body weight, lift heavy ...I do at least 2x 45 min workouts and 1x 80 min workout with a trainer (getting my 20 mins cardio out of the way) each week

Looking for reassurance I suppose that I don't need to start running when I feel no inclination to do so

Replies

• molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that you're putting in the work, there's no reason that you have to become a runner or jogger. As long as you're moving and you're happy with your workouts/results. If you don't want to run, don't. Simple
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Nope, you don't have to jog/run in order to get in a good cardio workout. Just like you don't have to do Stronglifts in order to lift heavy. It's just one option out of many :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    if you don't like running.

then don't run.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

then don't run.

Yep
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie at this fitness thing but one thing I learned this year is that I am not chained to one routine! I find something I enjoy doing and keep doing it. Gosh, do what you love.

A partner in my running club says there's local walkers that outpace some of our runners.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    tumblr_mbqko5dOYv1rq49qyo6_250.gif

:smiley:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

then don't run.

Yep

Agreed.

There are many other ways to get some cardio in besides running. Many.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    It is not necessary to be a runner to get fit. There are way too many options available to you for there to be any need to do something you hate. You work out plenty. Enjoy what you do.

I, too, hate running. I swim because it's a workout that makes me sad to stop, so that's what I do.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    You should do the workout that you find most fun and will commit to! If jogging is not your thing, then don't do it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    why would you think you have to jog?
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I assume you're asking because it's what you do for cardio? If so, no you don't. There are other things you can do to raise your HR.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Trainer wanted me to and I said nope so we did boxing instead. I think he was looking at interval training ...but we can do that on elliptical or stepper ..it was a passing thought really, just wanting to check my sanity
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but Mordor and Zombie Apocalypse...

Don't blame me if you get munched.

That said, boxing seems awesome so proceed.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Yeah, but Mordor and Zombie Apocalypse...

Don't blame me if you get munched.

That said, boxing seems awesome so proceed.

Boxing was much more tiring than I envisaged

I have Zombies! Run and I walk it :smile:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Trust me, there are tons of people out there that perpetuate the myth that jogging/running is the only way to lose weight.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I started running my weight loss slowed considerably. I still do it because I like the health/strength/mobility benefits.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I have Zombies! Run and I walk it :smile:

Oh, you're definitely becoming a meat sandwich then.

Joking aside, no, you don't need to run obviously. Unless your goal is to be runner.

Which it isn't.

So there's that.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Trust me, there are tons of people out there that perpetuate the myth that jogging/running is the only way to lose weight.

Well I for one am giving up running...again...probably for good this time around. I actually hate it, but I had a sprint triathlon on my bucket list for the last few years...but every time I pick up running I bust my foot up and my posterior tibial tendinitis flares up something fierce. This last attempt lasted about 4 weeks and was pretty well immobilized last week...so I'm done. I'm thoroughly convinced that running is just really hard on the body.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Well I for one am giving up running...again...probably for good this time around. I actually hate it, but I had a sprint triathlon on my bucket list for the last few years...but every time I pick up running I bust my foot up and my posterior tibial tendinitis flares up something fierce. This last attempt lasted about 4 weeks and was pretty well immobilized last week...so I'm done. I'm thoroughly convinced that running is just really hard on the body.

Same. I've had to give up running completely due to compartment syndrome. I was sad at first but now I don't really care. I like the rower better anyway.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Unless if your goals involve you becoming a runner there is no need to run/jog. There are a lot of other ways to get in good exercise that doesn't involve running.

I've wanted to become a runner, but due to a foot injury (hairline fracture) I haven't been able to run for a few months and have found a lot of ways to work out that aren't running and I've done really well keeping up my health & lowering my weight.