Is it an issue if I simply don't want to jog?

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Well since my health is top of my priority list- I've changed and already gone for a run on my lunch break!!!

I feel healthier already!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    ashmeg84 wrote: »
    Sure you don't have to run, just know you will have to work much harder cardio wise.

OK, explain this please

Why do I need to work harder than 20 mins elliptical with resistance at 15/16 out of 26 keeping HR at 150-165 which is my general cardio. What does jogging bring that current cardio work isn't?

Runners always like to think that they know everything there is to know about cardio - and that they work the hardest. It's B.S.

Way to jump to a conclusion.

It's not really a conclusion, it's just my experience.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Well since my health is top of my priority list- I've changed and already gone for a run on my lunch break!!!

I feel healthier already!

Ran down the hall and back?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If you see me run, you better run too, because the only way I'm running is if something bad is chasing me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    If you see me run, you better run too, because the only way I'm running is if something bad is chasing me.

<chuckle>
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I walked 10,000+ steps per day for a year before I even considered running. Walking counts as exercise. If you don't want to run, nobody says you have to!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Sure you don't have to run, just know you will have to work much harder cardio wise.

OK, explain this please

Why do I need to work harder than 20 mins elliptical with resistance at 15/16 out of 26 keeping HR at 150-165 which is my general cardio. What does jogging bring that current cardio work isn't?

Runners always like to think that they know everything there is to know about cardio - and that they work the hardest. It's B.S.

I've never said any such thing :)
  • PRMinx
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »

LOL.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Let's not make this into a runners versus the rest of the world thing. I know many runners who are not claiming running is the only acceptable cardio training out there.
  • PRMinx
    edited December 2014
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

OK, explain this please

I've never said any such thing :)

This is true. I made a generalization.

But, in all seriousness, it does get frustrating to hear that running is the only way to get in cardio or lose weight. When it turned out that my leg is not going to get better, some of my runner friends basically told me I was going to get fat because "no more cardio."
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Same. I've had to give up running completely due to compartment syndrome. I was sad at first but now I don't really care. I like the rower better anyway.

When I read both the comments it reminds me of bedtime story "Fox who cried - Grapes are sour"

:D
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I assume I am not missing out on something. I just don't want to be a runner/jogger ...it simply holds no appeal for me

To put this in perspective I walk fast...I walk a minimum of 5 miles a day if I'm not on a workout day. My workouts include at least 20 mins high resistance cardio ...generally elliptical, I sometimes do time on the stepper or the treadmill (walking fast at a 10% incline) and I do push-ups, squats, lunges, TRX body weight, lift heavy ...I do at least 2x 45 min workouts and 1x 80 min workout with a trainer (getting my 20 mins cardio out of the way) each week

Looking for reassurance I suppose that I don't need to start running when I feel no inclination to do so

No it is not. Every time I begin training for a half marathon, I get sick of running and start hating it. Just asking my Friend List on MFP :D When I run for myself, and for fun, I stick with it and do great. I actually enjoy it and I look forward to the next run.

I am not a dedicated runner. I love lifting weights. I love Yoga and Pilates. I enjoy the occasional Zumba class. I love HIIT workouts. I am not willing to sacrifice any of the above to "just be a runner." I tried. My body and mind hated me.

So now I run just to run. I rarely check my mileage. I almost never check how long it took me to run a mile. I don't train for races although I could do a 10K and finish it without coming in last.

This change in mindset has caused me to stress less about running and just run for the joy of it all.

• SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options

false...steady state does not superseed HiiT cardio in cals burned (and even less time)
  • PRMinx
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    Same. I've had to give up running completely due to compartment syndrome. I was sad at first but now I don't really care. I like the rower better anyway.

When I read both the comments it reminds me of bedtime story "Fox who cried - Grapes are sour"

:D

I actually don't have sour grapes at all. I also have nothing against running. I enjoyed it. I enjoy other forms of cardio, too. Of which there are many.
  • Murph1908
    Murph1908 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »

Running is one of the highest calorie burners out there, but Karate is close (and I'm thinking boxing is similar).

Boxing wipes me out. I burn about 1000 calories doing about 45 minutes in a intro boxing class, according to my HRM. And that includes stretches, warmups, and going over new techniques.

Once we get to throwing punches, slipping, bobbing, and footwork around the bag, it's a killer workout. I hung a heavy bag at home!

• PRMinx
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »

OK, explain this please

Said the woman standing in front of the MAX EFFORT banner/logo. MAX EFFORT!!!!! EXTREME!!! BEAST MODE!!!! WARRIOR!!!

Everyone thinks they're working the hardest or at the very least way harder than anyone not doing the exact same workout as them.

I don't think that way at all. Nor do I act that way on here. So, I'm sorry you don't like my banner, but I've never once criticized any form of exercise on here or said that I do it better.

• njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have never liked running, not even when I was thin, healthy and very physically active. I have no plans to run, even when I get the weight off.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I say if you are keeping your heart rate in the range you need it to be for a good cardio burn, it doesn't matter if you are walking running or playing Extreme Tiddly-Winks...
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    Let's not make this into a runners versus the rest of the world thing. I know many runners who are not claiming running is the only acceptable cardio training out there.

Of course it's not the only acceptable cardio.

Swimming is. Get it together, people ;)