Is it an issue if I simply don't want to jog?

Options

Replies

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running but actually swimming is a better cardio exercise because it increases your VO2 Max and more of a overall workout. But I can go for a run at my lunch time kinda hard to fit in a swim. Not to mention I dislike swimming. But no Running is not required to get fit nor is lifting heavy people do it because they enjoy it find what you like.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    Let's not make this into a runners versus the rest of the world thing. I know many runners who are not claiming running is the only acceptable cardio training out there.

Of course it's not the only acceptable cardio.

Swimming is. Get it together, people ;)

LOL.

I have to hand it to swimmers because swimming is really tough for me. I just can't get into it, but I appreciate the sport.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't run.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I would love to learn how to swim and do it for exercise. I am thinking about taking lessons, plus taking an aquatic exercise class.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    To be a lot more serious, running v. swimming is insanely difficult to compare. While running does have technique involved (well, I'm guessing it does, I'm not a runner, but I've never heard of anything physical that didn't have at least a little) swimming is SOOO technique oriented, it even overshadows CV fitness.

I know of many runners who get in the pool to rehab an injury that look at my fat butt in the pool like I'm a freak of nature just gliding along past them. I'm not. In fact, I need to work hard on my overall fitness. But I've worked longer than they have on technique.

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    belgerian wrote: »
    I enjoy running but actually swimming is a better cardio exercise because it increases your VO2 Max and more of a overall workout. But I can go for a run at my lunch time kinda hard to fit in a swim. Not to mention I dislike swimming. But no Running is not required to get fit nor is lifting heavy people do it because they enjoy it find what you like.

How could anyone dislike swimming? :'(

I might actually try running again if I could run around in a zorb filled with water.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    I would love to learn how to swim and do it for exercise. I am thinking about taking lessons, plus taking an aquatic exercise class.

It's worth a try to see if you enjoy it.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I actually don't have sour grapes at all. I also have nothing against running. I enjoyed it. I enjoy other forms of cardio, too. Of which there are many.

Looks like you don't know the story. Fox never owned grapes because he couldn't reach the branch. So he advised everyone passing by "Don't eat them. They are sour".

Woman, you can't generalize the entire community and call them "BS" if you want people to take your advice seriously and assume you speak with some gray matter.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Let's not make this into a runners versus the rest of the world thing. I know many runners who are not claiming running is the only acceptable cardio training out there.

Of course it's not the only acceptable cardio.

Swimming is. Get it together, people ;)

:P (My most intelligent contribution to the forums today.)
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    I actually don't have sour grapes at all. I also have nothing against running. I enjoyed it. I enjoy other forms of cardio, too. Of which there are many.

Looks like you don't know the story. Fox never owned grapes because he couldn't reach the branch. So he advised everyone passing by "Don't eat them. They are sour".

Woman, you can't generalize the entire community and call them "BS" if you want people to take your advice seriously and assume you speak with some gray matter.

Girl crush...
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to run .. then don't. It is actually extremely hard on the body .. and very injury prone. You are much better off doing brisk walking.
  • catic32
    catic32 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    No - if you do not enjoy it don't do it. Do other exercises you do enjoy. Simple.
  • runner475
    edited December 2014
    Options
    OP, just do your own thing. Create a bucket list if you are that kind of person and check of activities as you mark them off.

Hope this helps. :)
  • PRMinx
    Options

First of all, don't address me as "woman." That's rude and condescending.

Second of all, I never said runners or running is B.S. I said the idea that running is the best form of cardio is B.S. I'm sorry if that wasn't more clear.

Third of all, I still don't understand your story reference. I have been a runner. I liked it well enough. I also like other forms of cardio. I can't run now, which sucks, but it's not the end all be all of my cardio fitness.

So, before you get all defensive, condescending and ridiculous, maybe you should re-read my posts.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Well since my health is top of my priority list- I've changed and already gone for a run on my lunch break!!!

I feel healthier already!

Ran down the hall and back?

downstairs- Although I was pretending to do some squats while eating chocolate covered pretzels. LOL.

I've been pretending to get "workouts" in while at work- the cookie noshing is happening hard core today.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    "I do not choose to run.." -- Calvin Coolidge, 1928.

If it's good enough for the President of the United States, it should be good enough for you

Don't you think he meant running for office? It would help to put this into context. Then again, who cares?
    You must be fun at parties. :wink:

• PRMinx
    Options

Girl crush...

Surprised you would go for that...
  • AglaeaC
    Options

Girl crush...

Surprised you would go for that...

Oh, Minx, laugh a bit :) I love reading advice and advise correctly used.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Well since my health is top of my priority list- I've changed and already gone for a run on my lunch break!!!

I feel healthier already!

Ran down the hall and back?

downstairs- Although I was pretending to do some squats while eating chocolate covered pretzels. LOL.

I've been pretending to get "workouts" in while at work- the cookie noshing is happening hard core today.

:laugh:
  • runner475
    edited December 2014
    Options

Girl crush...

Bwahahahaha .... I almost fell off the chair. Crush for Crossfitter. No thanks.

I see where you are going - probably my profile pic. That's me and my daughter. Ha Ha Ha Ha