2015 Adopt a Noob Official MFP Thread

Options

Replies

• Rhozelyn
    Rhozelyn Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If anyone will have me to mentor I'd be delighted...chronic dieter...MFP for years on/off....gaining weight...struggling and restarting...that's me in a nutshell
  • duckyruth
    duckyruth Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Ruth in Ohio!

I'm new to MFP & have no idea if this reply is a post in this Noob community group or not. I really need a mentor but not sure how this works.

Want help in using MFP, joining communities, etc.

And, of course, help on losing weight (as I am obese & my inner self is saying it's now the time), exercise with bum knees (getting ready for left knee replacement), motivation & push, eating properly & better, to explore possibly vegan & definitely GMO free alternatives & I love Yoga, meditation & Angels.

I have 3 cats & a dog. I am also laid off & still grieving that & probably depressed along with that.

So, thank you....
  • TinaC24
    TinaC24 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi there this is such a great idea!!! So happy so many out there are willing to help others ;) cuz I have been on and off struggling with my weight for almost 15 years. Up down and up down. But the last couple years it's been up up due to very high stress.

But I really want to lose my wright and keep it off!!! I need help really bad I'm unhappy about my weight and health. It's time to do this once and for all.

I always have good drive until week 3 and than the struggle begins. But that's why I need help. I need someone to help see me through.

Plz someone help. I prefer a woman but any help would be great.

The following photos are where I would like to be again....ps I'm 5'3"

Goal weight: 120
    15254b2dcaab7f5478ab-qqs1l3n4i0on.jpg
    24461f391e20b7336331d5789078af53.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/mfp-en.vanillaforums.com/editor/ar/m13joziioako.jpg
  • modmom1
    modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Any mentors older than 40 and into lifting? After 7 weeks of logging, I'm stuck trying to lose some bodyfat. Yes, I am gaining muscle, but I have BF to lose too. I'm not trying to look like a competitor, just to lose the jiggly bits. I'm a clean eater in that I don't do processed. Other than that, I'll eat it. No major health issues. I don't do a lot (if any) cardio but lift 3-4x /week.

I need help fine tuning my calories/macros or whatever the issue might be. My profile pic is 2 years ago. I've gained 7lbs since then and none of it muscle. What worked before isn't working now. I'm motivated!

I promise I'm doing my part by reading through the mentor list to find someone to partner with. Thank you all for helping.
  • RadDad412
    Options
    I'm looking for a mentor. Just started the process of getting the sleeve surgery and would like to start changing my habits now. Feel free to message me if interested. Thanks.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Has found her noobs and is no longer accepting new applicants. :)

---
    Hi, I'm happy to be a mentor again. I was on the initial list, got my two mentees and they are doing well so I now have the time to take on two more.

I'm 51, a stay at home mom to an 18 and 20 year old lol! I've got a new puppy so am sleep deprived. I've been on MFP for four years, initially lost 23 lbs to hit my goal weight, gained some back and have now been maintaining within the same 5 lb range for close to 3 years.

I believe in the 80/20 rule. 80% of the food should be healthy, nutritious food and 20 % not so much. All things in moderation-whatever moderation means to you. I don't do extreme "diets" and I will call you out and delete you if I see you continually eating very low calories.

I love to exercise-spinning, Zumba, golf and lifting but am dealing with a rotator cuff injury right now so no lifting or golf which makes me sad
  • stevenrobinsonsr1989
    Options
    Hey guys is anyone still looking to adopt haha im pretty new to this site joined last night, I have some basic knowledge on this type of thing so im not expecting miracles if anyone will adopt me im sure we will get on well :-). a little about me I work in care as a P/A to individuals with austism I enjoy wieght lifting and cycling my age is 26 oh yeah if you hadnt guessed my names steve
  • lyonsmom
    lyonsmom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'd love to find a knowledgeable mentor who's similar to me - a woman around age 39, fat pretty much all my adult life, who has lost or is losing over 100 pounds. I need to lose 150 lbs right away so I'm in better shape to try to conceive before it's too late for me. I'd love to pick your brain and find out what all those acronyms I keep reading about mean. I'm very dedicated to this journey and love laughing. I won't bug you too much, promise.

I am not a mentor but I am a 39 yr old woman who is on a journey to lose weight. I have been at this a short while and learning on a daily basis. Feel free to friend me and maybe we can help each other in our journey.
  • michaelbowerscore1st
    michaelbowerscore1st Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Looking to lose 20lbs put on by medication. Thats my story and Im sticking to it. :) Never used this type of tracking system so a little help would be appreciated. Thanks
  • MrNundy
    MrNundy Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hey people. Im Kris. I am looking for a mentor who could help me with my diet side of things. I will happily tell you about my gym routine's, my daily activity and what I'm eating. Looking to apply for the RAF in around 2/3 months, so willing to keep you updated on my targets and progress. Please send me a PM if your interested, like anything in life, i don't want to jump to the first person who volunteers (if anyone is interested) as I need to make sure i can team up and share things with someone who can understand me as a person and understand my ability without being judgemental or unrealistic. Look forward to hearing from someone. (hopefully)

Thanks anyways :)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for anyone who is looking for a mentor. Impress him or her by showing off your reading and listening skills, then they will know you will pay attention to their advice B)
    Rachel wrote: »
    The list has been updated to this point. Thank you to everyone who has participated in this topic! :flowerforyou:

Looking for a Mentor?

Please review the short paragraphs of the members and feel free to PM them or send a friend request (you should include a little bit about yourself as many members won't accept blank friend request). Hopefully, you will utilize this as a mentoring tool to increase the chances of success.

Keep in mind, that mentors are NOT obligated to accept new members if they do NOT feel it's a good fit... especially if you PM them with a creepy message or their plate is full.

Wish to remove yourself from the mentor list?

Please send @Rachel, @Olivia or @Michelle a PM requesting for your name to be removed.
  • MrNundy
    MrNundy Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for anyone who is looking for a mentor. Impress him or her by showing off your reading and listening skills, then they will know you will pay attention to their advice B)
    The list has been updated to this point. Thank you to everyone who has participated in this topic! :flowerforyou:

Looking for a Mentor?

Please review the short paragraphs of the members and feel free to PM them or send a friend request (you should include a little bit about yourself as many members won't accept blank friend request). Hopefully, you will utilize this as a mentoring tool to increase the chances of success.

Keep in mind, that mentors are NOT obligated to accept new members if they do NOT feel it's a good fit... especially if you PM them with a creepy message or their plate is full.

Please send @Rachel, @Olivia or @Michelle a PM requesting for your name to be removed.

Point taken.

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    MrNundy wrote: »

Looking for a Mentor?

Point taken.

Trust me, that wasn't directed at you specifically :) Though you did mention that you want a mentor who is a good match, so working your way through the list and looking at profiles might be the best way to go about it :)
  • abel_teklai
    abel_teklai Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I'm looking for a mentor! New to dieting and fitness...Please feel free to add me!
  • Tracejh
    Tracejh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm a month in and would love a mentor to give me support & encourage me. I'm at that stage where I need some motivation.
    I've just actually seen this thread and wish I'd posted sooner.
    Thanks
    Trace
  • millaaagrams
    Options
    Hey! I would love to find a mentor to help through my weight loss journey. I have used the tracker before but now I am taking my health much more seriously than before. I would love it if I could find someone like me. I'm 22 years old and I would like to lose 80lbs. My biggest problems are the intimidation of the gym and my diet. Please feel free to message me or add me! Thanks
  • ankitchadha29
    Options
    I'll be happy to mentor one or two people. I'm 28/male, between 5'7" and 5'9" (it's funny, I've never got 3 consecutive consistent measurements).

Been working out since almost 10 years or so. However, started a consistent fitness regime only from April-2011. It's been a bumpy ride and I've battled the following:

-- Lower back pain
    -- Shoulder pain (read: rotator-cuff tear). Was out of action from July-2013 to Feb-2014.
    -- Knee pain
    -- Hyper-sensitivity to pre-workout stuff and coffee
    -- Tendency to gain fat pretty fast

My philosophy has always been to be functionally-fit. This is primarily because I try to stay engaged with some kind of sports. Because of this, I try to incorporate a lot of plyo-style cardio in my workouts and also try to get creative with the usual lifting exercises (because of my history with injuries).

My favorite workout is a 7-minute-burpee-challenge. I also like to run on weekends.

I was ~190 lbs in Apri-2011 with about 22% BF. Right now, I'm at 155 lbs (not sure about the BF percentage though. My goal is to test out the BF percentage when I reach 145 lbs). Almost all my injuries are history now. They do pop up every now and then during a really exhaustive workout, e.g. slight knee pain after a 10k or slight shoulder pain after doing a heavy shoulder-set.

Lately I started logging food (~65 odd day streak) and it's been absolutely transformational (as far as my fitness is concerned). I recover much faster than I used to, feel much more athletic. Heck, it's got so interesting that my body starts craving the macros that are under the required level for a given day. This is largely in the mind, but definitely helps me stay fit.

My motivation for posting here: The first 2-4 weeks of my nutrition-logging were the toughest. I've lost count of how many times I quit logging just because it was a large PIA.
    Also, it's hard to notice immediate results. Hence, I had to try extremely hard to keep myself motivated.
    I just want to make this initial-phase easier for a few people. Moreover, it's a lot of fun when you workout with a buddy. Similarly, it might be fun to log nutrition with someone else as it'll keep the both of us extremely motivated.

PS: I'm extremely competitive by nature. If this thing works out, then it'll be cool to do weekly challenges with the partner as well.

Cheers,
    Ankit
  • mhanispeedy
    mhanispeedy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    hi everyone , looking for a mentor , newbie here , any help will be apriciated. i am 20 years old and 5'11
  • JZygmunt72
    JZygmunt72 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    To be honest. ive been on this app since january religiously. but ive had this app for multiple years. I had an eating disorder and one point in my life, where i weighed around 165. then i tried to get better and weighed 170, slowly i started gaining and weighed 180. i told myself id do it the healthy way and tried to always stay healthy. then i went to college and it got the best of me. i got to my highest weight ever of 206 ponds. and thats when i told mysef no. that i wouldnt do this anymore. ive been trying to be healthy, and sometimes I have those days where i just want to stop eating, and I try not to but cant, because knowing i have to be healthy doing this is what I tell myself. Ive hit a plateau for the past month or so and ive just been sitting around 195. I dont want to be here any more, im working at small goals. so for 190, then 185 and so on. I just really want this all gone, I dont know If i would be a mentor or not, more just like a buddy to support each other
  • 19nov82
    19nov82 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new here and to dieting, I grew up in a fairly healthy eating environment in Mexico, I married my husband (american) 2 years ago and let's just say we've been a negative influence to each other in the health department, we have yet to adapt to married life and find balance, we have been doing 2 "big meals" because I am used to having it at lunch and him at dinner but I had already gained a bit of weight because I stopped working out regularly before I met him, so it makes sense that more food + no workout + baby = fatter me.

I'm 5'2", 32 years old with love handles and serious mommy tummy, current weight is 170, it's been a year since my son was born so there is no excuse. My goal is to get my flat tummy back and get rid of this back pain so I can play with my baby who is just learning to walk.

I would love to find new friends that will be a good influence and a mentor wouldn't hurt! I just bought a bench and dumbbells and after reading around here I realized I need a kitchen scale so I ordered one, just trying to figure out what would be a good approach for me, it's a bit overwhelming.
This discussion has been closed.