2015 Adopt a Noob Official MFP Thread

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I am a 39 yo female with 3 children whom I homeschool. I recently took a MRT Leap test and found out I have some food sensitivities that are causing inflammation in my body. I have been dealing with thyroid issues for the past 4 years or so and the MRT was taken in hopes to help my thyroid issues. So by doctor's orders, there are several foods I can't eat. I been following the Leap diet for the past few weeks which is very similar to Paleo. So I would love someone that is knowledgeable about Paleo. I need help getting motivated to exercise which is hard fitting in since my husband works nights and I homeschool during the day.

I appreciate your consideration.

Copy and paste all the above into a private message to anyone from the still available list on the original post on this thread whom you'd like to mentor you. Click on their username or profile picture to find the send message button to PM them.
    Good luck! :)
  • cakesboberg
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I'm a noob from Central California looking for a mentor! Im 29 and I'm trying to lose at least 30 by 30 ☺️ I played collegiate volleyball but then marriage and two precious kiddos happened. I just got my Fitbit from Costco today, but I've been using MFP on and off since he beginning of the year while working out at a gym. I'd love the support and advice from a mentor. Thanks!
  • Boe4Life
    Boe4Life Posts: 51 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I could use a mentor. I am 43, 5'7" and currently weigh 231 lbs. I would love to get back down to 165-175. I have bought 38" waist pants and have drawn a line in the sand, no more new clothes unless they are smaller. The exercising thing I have a basic understanding of but I get killed in the kitchen. Diet is my weak point.
  • musicinvein
    Options
    I'm a noob. Lol
  • kasjoy
    kasjoy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would love to have a mentor. I've been using MFP for a while and tracking my food, but I don't seem to make much progress in changing my eating habits or losing weight. I'm 47 years old, married, with a 8-year-old daughter and a dog. And I live in MA, where the current snow situation is really turning me off from walking the dog any distance.
  • abbycassidy1
    Options
    I am open to volunteering as a mentor....

Good afternoon! I am professional weight looser... At the age of 55 I have tried them all starting with Richard Simmons in the 80's. :). I have been a member of a gym all my life and have worked at 24 Hour Fitness for a short time I was the Aquatic aerobic instructor. But a life style change from California to Ohio pulled me out of the gym, and Arthritis has set into my knees.
    I am a Business Banker for my pay, but I am a private chef as my passion. I have been using My Fitness Pal for the last 2 or more years. Including when I went through the "diabetes program" from the YMCA. It did get me to make the habit of recording everything I ate.
    This past November I started on the Atkins program (1992) the old one by Dr Atkins. I only eat real food, no bars, shakes etc. I immediately lost 10 pounds, and I like instant gratification. Then I lost more.....then the Holidays came....I gained...
    Well I learned how to loose and I am starting again-today-
    Friend me and join me and we will do this together, I can teach you what to eat, how to change the goals on your "my fitness pal" and we will win (loose) together.

Hi there! interested in mentoring me? My name is Abby, I am 53, diagnosed pre diabetic, 80 pounds overweight, hurting 24/7, Mother, Grandmother, worked in health care most of my life and am a writer.
  • hyndmanemma
    hyndmanemma Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a noob :( I would prefer someone fairly young. A guy maybe?

Message me if you want to mentor me :)
    I'm looking to lose about 10kg and get fit. :)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I'm a noob :( I would prefer someone fairly young. A guy maybe?

Message me if you want to mentor me :)
    I'm looking to lose about 10kg and get fit. :)

Thats not how this works.
    Re-read the first page
  • Rayne_Ragains
    Options
    Hi I am new to MFP. I want to make myself healthier for life. I just struggle keeping track of things. I am 20 years old weigh 180 have a many life changing surgeries, but am still willing to become healthier. I am in college to become a nurse. I am also in marching band during the fall semesters. I am mostly looking to better myself for me. My goal is to be anywhere from 140-150 and able to run a mile consistently.
    Thank you.
  • Kasymira
    Kasymira Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hey my name is Cassie and I am new to MFP. I am 20 years old and weight 180lbs. I have been exercising and trying to eat right for the past few months but this will be my first time to type it down. My goal is to be 130lbs, but once I get to it I also want to maintain it. I am a stay at home wife. So I have a lot of free time. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this. :)
  • GurrCentral
    GurrCentral Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi all, new to MFP (well, have been on here for 18 days) I have my macro's set, and have been losing weight! Just want to bounce ideas off of someone as to when to adjust if i hit a plateau. I am currently at 158 (I am a shorter male, so I am kind of stocky), with a goal weight of 140. (I am only 5'3). Thanks!!!
  • 3athlt
    3athlt Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am interested in adopting some noobs. I'm 50 years old, and have struggled with weight most of my life. In February 2014, I tipped the scales at 305 and I decided that I needed to make some changes in my life. I lost 22 pounds between 2/14 and 7/27/14 (when I joined MFP). But MFP has been a game changer for me. I've lost 74 pounds since joining MFP and I should be under 200 pounds soon, as well as achieving the 100 pounds loss goal, and I'll shortly be out of the obese category.

I feel I can relate to "bigger" people who have 100 pounds or more to lose, as I've been there and I know how mentally challenging it can be when you're looking at that big number to lose.

As far as my background, before I ballooned up to 305 I was pretty active. I've completed multiple marathons, half marathons, triathlons, and duathlons. I've also learned what NOT to do in regards to training, as I've had SEVEN foot/ankle surgeries. I'm fairly knowledgeable about running and cycling - that's my forte. However I must admit I'm not as knowledgeable about strength training as I find it somewhat boring. Fortunately I started doing P90X3 recently and my body fat percentage is starting to drop fairly rapidly now.

I believe that weight loss is 70% diet, 30% exercise. MFP has taught me to weigh/measure EVERYTHING that I put in my body, and of course LOG EVERYTHING! I believe that anyone can achieve their goals and dreams, if they're willing to make the commitment and be consistent with logging their food and exercise.

Currently I'm training for a spring marathon and doing P90X3 about 6 times/week. I'm also going to sign up for a fall marathon as well as enter a couple duathlons this summer.

As I get closer to my goal weight, (this might sound crazy) the weight becomes less important to me. To me, the most important thing is the UNmeasurables - like fitting in smaller clothes comfortably, being able to climb some wicked long/steep hills on my bike, and regaining the confidence that I lost when I was so heavy. I already feel SO much better about myself, but I still have a ways to go in my journey.

My ultimate goal is to finish a full distance IRONMAN triathlon. On my first attempt I missed the swim cut-off time. On my second attempt I got injured two weeks before the event. Hopefully if I remain injury-free and my fitness level keeps improving I'll give IRONMAN another shot in 2017. Until then I need to keep improving my fitness level and work on my swimming technique.

I feel as if I can offer some Noobs some good advice/encouragement and guide them on their journey while I lead by example and keep improving myself.

• SidonieElodie
    SidonieElodie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just want to say a massive thank you to all of those people who offer to become mentors to complete strangers. Your time, knowledge and support is such an important gift that has the potential to completely change someone's life. I've found my mentor who is absolutely amazing. I feel humbled by and so proud of this community. Thank you again x
  • lucysmommy2007
    lucysmommy2007 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi i am 232lbs and looking to lose 80lbs - would love a mentor :-)
  • raygen12
    raygen12 Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm interested. I am 143 pounds at 5'4. I play baseball, football, track and I wrestle. Add me as a friend if you would like to be my mentor. I would like a mentor that knows good workouts or places to find workouts, someone who understands MFP, and someone who can help me understand weight loss.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just bringing forward the "how to find a mentor" from the first page for any newbies
    Olivia wrote: »
    Welcome to the 2015 Adopt-a-Noob Discussion!

This thread is dedicated to those MFP members that would like to volunteer their time to mentor or adopt a new comer to MFP; with the high volume that occurs in the beginning of the year, this will be an easy way for new members to view profiles of members to friend and lean on for advice, guidance or direction.

For those who participated in the Adopt-a-Noob discussion last year - giant thanks for your willingness to give back and support others on their path. If you have recently posted in the original discussion, or volunteered last year and have bandwidth again, please be sure to re-post here. Also a special thanks to @psulemon for owning this discussion the entire last year.

Mentors

We will maintain a list of forum members (in this post) of all the members that would like to become a mentor or volunteer their time. We suggest that you post some background (essentially a short profile) on yourself to give the new members some prior knowledge. If at any time, you want to revise your post, please send an update to @Rachel, @Michelle or @Olivia, and we will alter your original post as soon as we are able.

New members

Please review the short paragraphs of the members and feel free to PM them or send a friend request (you should include a little bit about yourself as many members won't accept blank friend request). Hopefully, you will utilize this as a mentoring tool to increase the chances of success.

Keep in mind, that mentors are NOT obligated to accept new members if they do NOT feel it's a good fit... especially if you PM them with a creepy message or their plate is full.

Thank you for your support!

ps - please follow the rules. All thread hijacking will be followed by a strike as it violates the rules. If you don't understand the rules, please see below.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Volunteer's
    (MFP Staff will update this section as people throw their hat in to adopt noobs for the new year)

(See page one of this thread for updated list of the available mentors)
  • salenamartine
    Options
    This is very cool. I like how supportive this fitness community is.
  • tericx
    tericx Posts: 16
    Options
    Good Afternoon,

I have sent a request to my chosen mentor however I haven't had a response...

A little about me I am 27 living in the UK with 100lbs + to lose. My fitness levels are rubbish and I would like to improve on them also.

I have tried anything from Cambridge Diet to Slimming World and Weightwatchers.

If anyone is willing to mentor me please feel free to add me.... I am a blank page willing to learn.

Teri xx
  • jreyn116
    jreyn116 Posts: 2
    Options
    I would like to be adopted
  • ivetastic
    ivetastic Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    UmmSqueaky wrote: »
    I would be happy to mentor a few newbies, especially if you're fellow geeks (or even better, cosplayers). Bonus points if you're a short geek (cuz short people have lower calorie limits and our own special problems).

I'm 33 years old and have spent my entire adult life trying and failing to lose weight and get healthy. I was on sparkpeople for years, would lose 10-15 lbs, and then gain back 20. I yo yo-ed my way from the 150s all the way up to 205 lbs. I finally hit rock bottom a year ago - after avoiding pictures of myself for years, I had taken up cosplay. And you can't avoid pictures of yourself if you dress up in costume. I logged onto MFP (which I had tried the previous year and fallen away), and have been logging every day since.

In the last year, I've lost 85 lbs through good old fashion eat less, move more. In general, I eat healthier than I did before, but I don't eat "clean" (however you define that). I eat out at least once a week. I love McDonalds. I love cookies. I love fried chicken. I love chocolate. The big difference is now I know how much my body needs (which is sadly not much), so I'm all about the portion control. Also planning and not giving in to cravings. If I want McDonalds, I'm not going to get in the car and get it right now. I plan to have it on the weekend, when I know that I can fit it into my calorie limit. I am not big on giving anything up, be it gluten or carbs or soda or whatever.

I also exercise. A lot. Well, not so much now that I can't bike commute, but I am a big proponent of working exercise into your daily life (walk on your lunch hour, bike to work if possible) as well as going to the gym regularly.

And finally, I believe that good friends are essential to success on MFP. An active friends list, interacting with said friends, cheering them on, asking for advice, has been what keeps me coming back here every day for the last 392 days.

I'm a 33 year old short cosplayer!
This discussion has been closed.