How much can you squat?

Replies

• reedzen
    reedzen Posts: 9 Member
    I just transitioned from body weight squats to squatting with the bar. Currently, I'm working mostly on form with the bar before I add weight (also, my friend is going to start lifting with me so I can have him spot me). I'm just beginning, but I'm still proud. Three months ago I tried with the bar and was too weak to get more than 2 reps. SO sad.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I think people want to just see where their body will top out. I am at 305 which is trash but oh well. I do want to be able to squat my BW 50 reps though one day.

Y so much cardio?
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    My PR on squat is 365lbs @ 175 with a belt. My goal is to hit 405 within 12 months.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Lofteren wrote: »
    P
    I think people want to just see where their body will top out. I am at 305 which is trash but oh well. I do want to be able to squat my BW 50 reps though one day.

People's mental strength usually breaks down before their physical strength, though. Very few people actually get to the point where their body is completely topped out.

I can agree that some do get scared of the injury. I will say that me personally I have more mental strength over physical strength which was how I tore my pec. I did not really put on a lot of weight. I did increase every session because I though I could until that loud pop sound that sounded like a 45 plate falling. It was one of my sadest days in lifting career but it did show me that my mental toughness was up there to push my body like that.

It probably shows that you had your elbows flared during the bench as well which will put anyone at risk for a torn pec. Do you have a vid?

that + a wider grip then I should+ still touching my chest+ not bring the bar low = more likely tearing my other pec.

I did have bad form back then. Although doctor tried to say since you had so much scar tissue your pec was going to go one day and recommend I do not touch my chest. I looked at him funny.

Just work on that arch! You can still touch your chest without rotating your shoulder much at all. We should probably stop talking about bench in a squat thread though lol

cool question. Your grip placement( profile pic) is really far apart. This guy at the gym yesterday did the same. I might have to try it to see how it feels.

What is the difference for grip placement? I have tried putting hands of 45 plates one time and long time ago.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited December 2014
    Aw my 1 rep max is 170...Though I did get 3 reps at 160 last night. My squat disappoints me. I can't wait to get into maintenance and eat more. I weigh 139 now.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    P

People's mental strength usually breaks down before their physical strength, though. Very few people actually get to the point where their body is completely topped out.

I can agree that some do get scared of the injury. I will say that me personally I have more mental strength over physical strength which was how I tore my pec. I did not really put on a lot of weight. I did increase every session because I though I could until that loud pop sound that sounded like a 45 plate falling. It was one of my sadest days in lifting career but it did show me that my mental toughness was up there to push my body like that.

It probably shows that you had your elbows flared during the bench as well which will put anyone at risk for a torn pec. Do you have a vid?

that + a wider grip then I should+ still touching my chest+ not bring the bar low = more likely tearing my other pec.

I did have bad form back then. Although doctor tried to say since you had so much scar tissue your pec was going to go one day and recommend I do not touch my chest. I looked at him funny.

Just work on that arch! You can still touch your chest without rotating your shoulder much at all. We should probably stop talking about bench in a squat thread though lol

cool question. Your grip placement( profile pic) is really far apart. This guy at the gym yesterday did the same. I might have to try it to see how it feels.

What is the difference for grip placement? I have tried putting hands of 45 plates one time and long time ago.

You want your hands to be as narrow as they can be comfortably. I am really big so that's as narrow as I can get my hands. If I could bring them in I would.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    DavPul wrote: »

Y so much cardio?

I like different reps workouts.

• little_simon
    little_simon Posts: 37 Member
    I've squatted 501lb/227.5kg x1
  • Lofteren
    I've squatted 501lb/227.5kg x1
    Nice, do you compete?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    585 with wraps.

holy balls.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    I've tested a double at 135 lbs, thought I might be able to do another but didn't try. That was a couple of months ago, and I've been cutting so I'm not sure I could do that today.

Currently at 3x5 at 110 lbs, working my way back up from a deload. Really wanting to get to 1.5xBW (175 lbs) next year.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    4X4 = 255 @ 165bw. I've never tried my 1RM with squats.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited December 2014
    I'm at 135 for a 1rm Back Squat tested a few months ago. I feel like I could do a double on that.

Some really impressive numbers here. Wow.
  • Lofteren
    edited December 2014
    My best was 645 raw w/out wraps at the APF Show of Strength last June but I stretched my left LCL a little while doing it. I'm hoping to beat that this upcoming April at another APF meet but this time I'll be a 308 instead of a super heavy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V46OAfx9wPM

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    ^^rawr
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    A sad 180 5x5, and that's 20 lbs more than 3 weeks ago. I am hoping to hit 230 by march but I am sure progress is going to get slower.
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    265 1RM and that was 6 months ago... Should be over 300 by now, but I scared myself bailing on a heavy squat and now get in my head trying to max out. :-/
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    The title pretty much says it all. How much can you squat?

Better question to see people's response would be.... "Have you ever crapped your pants while trying to squat???"