HOLIDAY EATING PLAN

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy and eating towards your goals are two different things. Sure, enjoy yourself, but know that your future self will be thanking you if you practice control this holiday season. The average person gains 5lbs and keeps 2 of those lbs for the remainder of the year. You are all not the "average" person, or you wouldn't even be in this feed. Be well this holiday season.

nope.

if people spent more time agonizing over January - November- they wouldn't have to worry about November - January.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Eating healthy and eating towards your goals are two different things. Sure, enjoy yourself, but know that your future self will be thanking you if you practice control this holiday season. The average person gains 5lbs and keeps 2 of those lbs for the remainder of the year. You are all not the "average" person, or you wouldn't even be in this feed. Be well this holiday season.

This is a lifestyle change for many of us. In our lifestyles, we still have holidays, birthdays, weddings, and other celebrations. Are we going to be losing weight forever? No. The key is to understand that it's about the long-term goal, especially for people in maintenance, and if occasionally (not every day or week) we go all out it's not a big deal.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    My plan:

Lots and Lots of Monkeybread.
    Followed by lots of yummy foods in between.
    Ending with ice cream cake and whatever Amish pie MIL has.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I have a 4000 calorie minimum I'm trying to hit. 6 would be nice. But I'll settle for 4k.

I'm totally going to stalk your diary. I hope that's not creepy.
  • JoRocka
    edited December 2014
    Options
    lol - it's not a regular thing- just for Wed/Thursday- otherwise my little piddly 1600-1700 calories are nothing special LOL

I think we are going to an all you can eat place Wed night (we are partial to Brazilian rodizio type places) and then I think we are doing brunch and then Christmas dinner.

But you are more than welcome to stalk away!
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm hosting Christmas eve dinner, so *I'm* in charge! We're having cheese and nuts and wine. And buffalo chicken wings and BBQ chicken wings. And my picky son is having bagel bites (Why not? It's Christmas! Why shouldn't he get what he wants?). We're having low-sugar pumpkin cheesecakes (Shhh! - I made this before and no one could tell!), brownies, and more wine. And maybe a little more wine. And scotch.

Christmas day is at my aunt's and she can't cook for *kitten*. So, I probably won't eat anything. No big loss.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Better than my plan of giving up until after the new year and stick to moderation throughout the holidays.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    I'm hosting Christmas eve dinner, so *I'm* in charge! We're having cheese and nuts and wine. And buffalo chicken wings and BBQ chicken wings. And my picky son is having bagel bites (Why not? It's Christmas! Why shouldn't he get what he wants?). We're having low-sugar pumpkin cheesecakes (Shhh! - I made this before and no one could tell!), brownies, and more wine. And maybe a little more wine. And scotch.

Christmas day is at my aunt's and she can't cook for *kitten*. So, I probably won't eat anything. No big loss.

parenting... you're doing it right.

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I plan to eat whatever the hell I want on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and this upcoming Saturday (free date night with my husband using gift cards from my bosses). As for Friday and Sunday - meh, we'll see, I doubt I'll come in under my goal on those days either.

I plan to work out as planned, and no "walking it off" allowed. Just business as usual. Though, I am doing a super intense 94-minute Fitness Blender workout tomorrow, but not in an attempt to "make up" for holiday eating. I have the day off work, so why not do something crazy that doesn't require waking up at 4AM. The usual 4:45 is early enough.

I plan to enjoy myself, log in estimates just for the hell of it (I feel oddly proud when I reach 4000+ calories in one day), and remember that I did the same thing around Thanksgiving and didn't gain a single pound.

On Monday, everything goes back to normal...until the following Saturday because it's GAME NIGHT!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I'll be going for a run in my raincoat on Christmas morning while hubby works. I discovered that's my favorite time to run when everyone else is absorbed with the holidays, Easter, 4th of July and Thansgiving runs were amazing so peaceful, very little traffic so I'm hoping Christmas will be the same even if mother nature decided wet instead of white.

The meals will be prepared by me, hubby will have his favorites and I'll have mine. Personally I don't overindulge because my body doesn't tolerate it but that's my choice. We don't ever have forbidden foods so perhaps that's why there's no concern for calories eaten or calories burned on Christmas or any other holiday.

There is one thing I've learned over the years though, just because hubby loves his breakfast of cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning doesn't mean I have to eat them with him. I prefer my eggs, meat, potatoes and toast so that's what I'll eat and then we're both happy. For years I didn't do that, I only short changed myself so that's my word of advice, don't short change yourself during the holidays or any other time.
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My plan: Wake up and eat whatever the hell I want to eat. No exercise planned whatsoever. Wear whatever clothes are clean and not smeared with goat boogers or chicken poop. Enjoy the time with my family.

And I plan on rinsing and repeating this for the entire year of 2015 because I am sick to death of adding one more stupid, ridiculous thing to worry about all the time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    We're having an open house Christmas Eve party tomorrow night with tons of posole and tamales and eggnog and beer, booze, and wine...I probably will go pretty light earlier in the day though. If I can I will get in a bike ride...supposed to do 25 miles tomorrow (because it's Wednesday) but I'm also the cook and have to get everything ready.

Christmas day will be pretty mellow for the most part...open up presents with the kids and have some coffee and mimosas and a small breakfast. No scheduled lunch, but the appetizers and whatnot will be out by 1 PM when people start arriving...dinner planned for 4:30.

My guess is that all an all I might exceed my usual calories some, but I'm not too worried about it...it's not like I'm going to be grossly over...I just don't eat like that anymore. I will enjoy my meals and enjoy spending time with my family and friends and make merry.

I've gained a tiny bit of weight over the last couple of months, but that's ok...most of it's muscle as I hit the gym really hard in the late fall and into winter to compensate for some of those extra calories out there. I will go into a slow cut in January and will look rockin' lean by mid spring.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I don't have an actual plan but I will be visiting my 94 year old mother who doesn't eat much and no longer cooks meals or bakes. I will be doing the meals for us so I have a measure of control. I am planning some nice things that I think she will enjoy and that won't be really high on the calories. Neither of us drink much, so I got a split of wine that we will share with Christmas dinner. I'm sure she will have some cookies and things that neighbors have dropped off plus I will be taking a Yule Log cake (leftover from an early Christmas dinner with my brother and his family) so there will be some sweets to enjoy but not a ton. All in all, I don't expect to eat too much over my calories.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    My plan:

Lots and Lots of Monkeybread.
    Followed by lots of yummy foods in between.
    Ending with ice cream cake and whatever Amish pie MIL has.
    homer_sleeping1365092066965.jpg

Mmmm monkeybread.

I'm just trying to cut back. I'm not joking when I said I ate half of a cake for Thanksgiving. I felt no shame (I don't even recognize this emotion), but it'd be nice to save something for everyone else ;) . I can easily eat a pan of my granny's rolls in one sitting. Mmmm... homemade rolls. Is it Christmas yet?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm only eating things I TRULY love the taste of, and it's a bonus that several of those things are not totally devoid of nutrition.

No macaroni casserole or cheese dip or chips or any other stuff that I find "meh". I used to grab a little bit of everything to be polite. No more!

If that means I eat meat, shrimp, roasted/grilled vegetables, fudge, choc pretzels and cookies...fine with me!
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying the holidays. This is a lifestyle thing and I'm not giving up great food and socializing for the rest of my life. Holidays are meant to be enjoyed..

I doubt I'll gain anything. I didn't gain anything over thanksgiving .
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm baking at least 3 different kinds of cookies and a red velvet cake, making a ham, rotisserie-ing (clearly not a word) a prime rib, roasting some root veggies, sautéing some brussels sprouts, mashing some potatoes, casseroling some green beans, and tossing a salad. By the time I'm finished taste testing all that, I might be able to eat some of the other things the family is bringing. Oh, and eggnog. I will be drinking some eggnog with a special favorite bourbon.

I have been disciplined all week leading up to tomorrow and the next day, and I will be disciplined again after January 11.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I don't have to be anywhere tomorrow until four or five so I can still workout in the morning. Gonna try to not eat a lot until I get to my sister's place and then I'm gonna sit back and enjoy time with family wonderful deserts. The main meals are pretty boring, lasagna and tamales.

Christmas Day is going to be movie snacks, fast food, and whatever sweets Santa brings. I already know I'm getting some chessmen butter cookies. B)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    My holiday eating plan is......

I plan on eating! :D
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Because of MFP and all that I have learned about CICO, for the first time in my life, I am going to eat whatever I want and know for a fact that I'm not going to gain a pound. Thank you MFPers!