How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
I plan to weigh in every two weeks. I don't want to become obsessive, but also want to make sure I am staying on track. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sagy1cor
    sagy1cor Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday. If I don't then I feel that I am not accounting for my day. I also log my weight everyday and keep an excel spreadsheet of the calories that I have ate (net) and my weight. That way I can enter in the formula for the average of the net calories and see if I am doing something wrong.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Daily. I only track monthly though.

There's no right way to stay on track with your weighing. As long as you're consistent (only weigh in the morning, after you use the restroom), frequency is entirely personal.
  • lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    once a week
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    most every day, but only enter it into MFP every week or so
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    sagy1cor wrote: »
    I weigh myself everyday. If I don't then I feel that I am not accounting for my day. I also log my weight everyday and keep an excel spreadsheet of the calories that I have ate (net) and my weight. That way I can enter in the formula for the average of the net calories and see if I am doing something wrong.

I do the same. I can average out by week, or average my macros, etc., to note trends and the like. Excel is great.

ETA: Oh, and charts for days.
  • LaurenC619
    LaurenC619 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Every day, or at least 5 out of 7 days a week, but I only track it if I lose or if I gain and stay at the same weight for more than a couple of days. I think once a week or once every two weeks is great. Just because I weigh myself every day doesn't mean I think it's the healthiest thing, honestly. I can get a bit obsessive if the number goes up by one or two lbs. And that's exactly what you said you want to avoid.. becoming obsessive. Sounds like you have a good strategy.
  • Vincisomethng
    Vincisomethng Posts: 149 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Rarely, actually. Maybe after a month? I'm probably going to bump it up to every one or two weeks. But since losing weight isn't my main concern, I check with before and after pictures.
  • ridin599
    ridin599 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday so I can track my trending loss and tighten up if I see a major swing. I want to see the number and keep it in my mind. It helps me make soild food choices and in the end, feel better when my good choices pay off in the numbers.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh-in every morning. Sometimes I miss a proper weigh-in because of my schedule.

My problem was never being obsessive about weighing, my problem has always been avoiding the scale. I wish I had the former problem, I'd have had less problems now if I did.
  • irchrismm
    irchrismm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am weighed every day or two. Of course I am on a supervised diet, and they do that to be able to adjust my program depending on the results. Making sure I don't Plateau for any more than a couple of days. Keeping me on task, so I can achieve my goals by a predetermined time.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Every single morning. The trick is not to let any single day's number derail you (or to let any single day's number be an excuse to deviate from the plan). Real weight changes are evidenced over a long period of time as these daily data points will show over time. More infrequent data points really don't eliminate the inherent volatility.
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    I am more concern on how my clothes are fitting than what the scales say. I think this allows for a much healthier mindset (at least for me).
  • amandaiams
    amandaiams Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You can weigh yourself as often or as little as you like. If you use your clothing as a indication to your progress, that's great and probably healthier than worrying about numbers. Remember, day to day weight changes due to water, bloat, gas etc. Plus, as a woman, we tend to have that for a week at a time anyways so it might just make it frustrating.
    If you do weigh, they say first thing in the morning after going to the restroom. That is supposed to be your "true" weight. I weigh myself when I feel like it, but I am trying to measure my waist and hips to see if I'm losing fat and gaining muscle (which will fluctuate your weight, too.)
    If you're changing your diet your body might retain water and fat for a while, thinking it's in starvation mode. There are so many things that can change that silly number. I like that you are going by your clothes. I think I might do the same :)
    Cheers!
  • catic32
    catic32 Posts: 105 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Usually daily. This keeps me aware of my weight and progress. Yes it's nice to go by how clothes fit - but that doesn't help if I'm not aware I gained 2lbs last week and another 2 this week. Being able to track my process and put a stop to any unwanted weight gain works for me. I'm not religious about it- I skip days but usually daily.
  • ajb600
    Options
    Every Sunday Morning. Any more than that and I negatively focus on it.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Every other week, on payday. That way there's something great about the day no matter what the scale says.

• blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, never. I'm a paraplegic, my PCP doesn't have any roll-on type scales for weighing individuals in wheelchairs and I can't afford to fork out the $600+ for my own (the cheapest that I've found). Wonder if I could do the whole volume displacement thing where I fill up a bath tub with water and then meausre how much the water level rises when I get in it??? :)
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Every morning, but I'm leaning more towards one day a week instead.
  • desirail
    desirail Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day but I only log it once a week. Weighing daily keeps me accountable for my actions.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Every day ---- BUT -- I only "record" my weight once a week - same time/day/clothes before eating or drinking anything. It's as natural as putting on my socks.

The "every day" weighing I use as a guide re: food/exercise etc. -- done it this way for over a year. This way I know the trend, but I don't beat myself up over one days tick.

73641431.png