Did I REALLY Gain 12 Pounds In 2 Days?

Options
Hi, all, I hope you enjoyed your holiday. I began my health and fitness journey in July, and as of Monday, I had lost almost 40 pounds. I had been good all holiday season (I didn’t over-indulge at holiday parties, I kept up with my exercise routine, and I even managed to lose 2 pounds since Thanksgiving), so I decided to enjoy myself on Christmas Eve and Christmas. Well, I went a little overboard (and by a little, I mean a lot), which was my first mistake. My second mistake was stepping on the scale this morning. To my horror, I weigh a whopping 12 pounds more than I had on Monday. Did I really gain 12 pounds, or is some of it water weight? I know I ate a lot (i.e., I completely gorged myself, which I am not proud of), but I didn’t think I ate that much. Any advice to give me peace of mind?

Replies

• funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    You can always go back to the mathematics ... 12 lbs of fat would be 3500 calories x 12 = 42000 extra calories. If you didn't eat 42000 extra calories, then it's not fat.
  • Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Its normal to gain a bit during the holidays , nothing to stress yourself over , but 12 pounds in 2 days , I don't think so. once your colon cleanses you'll see that you probably didn't even gain half of that , so chill . But just keep in mind that losing weight ain't that easy , so lay low on the future couple of days, if u can. :) Merry Christmas !
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Maybe a couple of pounds, but mostly water retention. Just give it a couple of days.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Naaaw I'm feeling ya xx I ate more in one day at Christmas than I have in a whole day in 3mths, plus we have a boatload of leftovers and cheescake in the fridge :( I'm too scared to weigh myself :s Give it a week or two and you'll be back to normal.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    water weight/thread
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Nah, it's just water and sodium!
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's definitely all fat. :wink:
  • PugBug20
    Options
    So you think at least half of that is just water weight? I didn't eat anything that salty, though, mostly carbs and sweets, which is why I'm so concerned. I can live with gaining 5 pounds, but 12 is a major setback. I know it's my own fault, but I'm just freaking out.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's mostly water weight and waste. It seems like you ate a high volume of food, which will take some time to, uh, clear from your system. Drink a lot of water. Weight again in a week.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I agree- drink lots of water, go back to eating at your deficit and wait a week to weigh again. I have been losing very slowly lately due to all the holiday parties and people bringing in sweets at work, and then yesterday I made fudge and cookies so those have been getting eaten (by me). I don't think it's possible to gain that much in 2 days. I'm hoping I just at least maintained this week with all of my holiday sweets being around.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Im astonished you have lost 40lbs and been dieting since July and this is your query. You still arent listening to what people are telling you or undestanding why.
  • PugBug20
    PugBug20 Posts: 55
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm back on track today and I feel so much better already. I don't know how I used to eat like that all the time! A few more questions:
    1. When do you think the scale will be accurate again and show the actual damage done and not water weight, undigested food, etc.?
    2. Is it possible that I'm so bloated (I literally look 6 months pregnant) because I ate a lot of refined carbs and full-fat dairy, which my body isn't used to anymore? Or should I blame it all on sodium?
    3. What can I do to reduce bloating? I plan on eating as "clean" as possible for the next week or so to help my body detox, but what else can I do?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    PugBug20 wrote: »
    I'm back on track today and I feel so much better already. I don't know how I used to eat like that all the time! Two questions:
    1. When do you think the scale will be accurate again and show the actual damage done and not water weight, undigested food, etc.?
    2. Do you think I'm so bloated (I literally look 6 months pregnant) because I ate a lot of refined carbs and full-fat dairy, which my body isn't used to anymore? Or should I blame it all on sodium?

Wait about 5 days and you'll have a good idea.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    i'm thinking no, but wow, didn't realize someone could even gain 12 pounds of water weight. the most i've gained is maybe 2 pounds of water weight that quickly.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I just weighed and I put on 4.2lbs in two days. Who knows if it's real or not!
  • PugBug20
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    i'm thinking no, but wow, didn't realize someone could even gain 12 pounds of water weight. the most i've gained is maybe 2 pounds of water weight that quickly.
    I'm surprised, but not that surprised. I usually gain 3-4 pounds (including water weight) from just one cheat meal, so you can imagine what 2 full days of eating like garbage has done to me.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I put on 3lbs but it's tom next week. Lol so talk about me getting the holiday and tom whammy!

It will probably go back to more normal in a few days.

• mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    NO!!!!