Waist Trainers

Options
Hey - I am sure I have posted a question about this before but I didn't get much back. Has anyone used a waist trainer before? Do they work? I am currently sat in one and am in absolute agony. Any feedback on how long it would take to work or whether it works at all or risks would be really appreciated. Merry X Mas xx

Replies

• TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    You might have it on too tight, or you might have gotten a size too small. You should not be in agony
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    "Waste" of time. Compression (which is all it is) is just a temporary state. You're just squeezing everything closer together via a garment. Physiologically, it does nothing for weight loss or waist size reduction once it comes off.
    Don't heed advice from the fashion industry when is comes to weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You are not "training" anything, you are squishing your waist... Throw it out and do a few bodyweight exercises, it will work a lot better....But that mean you will have to put effort in.....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    no they don't work..

eat in a calorie deficit and your waist will get smaller..

lift heavy and train your core for better body composition…

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Oh heck no! I like my organs where they are.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    The best thing I have found .... spin class. There are no shortcuts. It is called hard work.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I use a hula hoop for my torso (it's the heavy kind, not the one you buy at the store, a professional hooper helped me make it) I know you can't spot-reduce, but it really uses the abs and back muscles, and I have seen a difference with regular use. Of course it has to be coupled with calorie deficit and healthy eating, which I'm doing and it really shows. I do this instead of crunches, although I know sooner or later I'm gonna have to start doing those as well lol
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Waist trainers can permanently damage internal organs. Toss it in the trash.
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    A steel boned CORSET can over time, like a 1yr+ daily wear, shrink your waist. This is basically done by slowly changing the position of your organs and ribs.
    +
    Waist trainners are a load of rubbish though. No amount of spandex or latex will give you a reduction in your waist. It's just a marketing gimmick.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    lol. do people actually do this and believe it works?
  • liannexxx
    liannexxx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I guess I tried it and thought it might hence the post haha? I saw Kim Kardashian training with one and many other people using them online. I am training and hard...I just heard it gave you a better shape however I guess you guys think its a waist of time ;-)

I might do a bit more research but thanks for your advice as maybe its just not worth it
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    liannexxx wrote: »
    I guess I tried it and thought it might hence the post haha? I saw Kim Kardashian training with one and many other people using them online. I am training and hard...I just heard it gave you a better shape however I guess you guys think its a waist of time ;-)

I might do a bit more research but thanks for your advice as maybe its just not worth it

LOL at kim kardashian ….
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options

The only reason Kim appears to use one is because she's paid to pretend to use it so she can influence the general population to buy it. She really uses layers of spanx.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »

The only reason Kim appears to use one is because she's paid to pretend to use it so she can influence the general population to buy it. She really uses layers of spanx.

Yep! She gets paid to promote things, whether she actually uses them or not.....
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

LOL at kim kardashian ….

ditto!!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »

^
    Yes. Thank you.

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

I think crediting Kim K's waist with a training belt is a faulty inference. The credit belongs to her genes. The whole female side of Kim's family have teeny-tiny waists.
  • deedeesaysraaa
    deedeesaysraaa Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A lot of the negative things you are hearing are rubbish but if I'm honest, it's more of a vanity thing... For that 'perfect' hourglass shape!
    I wear corsets all the time. they take a few inches off, help with posture and back probs and they help with a post pregnancy stomach but they aren't a permanent thing.

They give you a great shape but you shouldn't be in agony.... You should feel stretched up if you know what I mean. It's too tight so loosen it

As I was saying, a lot of the negative things you hear is a load of bull, they don't destroy your insides, in the Victorian Times they did cause probs but they'd be in corsets from a very young age and even during pregnancy!

Stick at it, it can take months to see decent results but you will have to do it forever to keep the results

xXx
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options

Again, don't rely on advice from the fashion industry nor from celebrities.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Just keep using it until it stops hurting. That is when you'll know it has worked.