holiday detoxes

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I don't care what your point was. Implying that there is no or little science applied to cooking is not just inaccurate, it's willfully deceptive.

Any monkey can learn to cook. When someone elevates it from a simple collection of processes to something more, something that creates an experience is when food has been elevated to art.

Much like how any monkey can put together a computer, it's legos. It's elevated when someone creates a custom motherboard to fit a specific form factor and usage.

It's not an argument, it just is what it is. :)
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I don't care what your point was. Implying that there is no or little science applied to cooking is not just inaccurate, it's willfully deceptive.

Any monkey can learn to cook. When someone elevates it from a simple collection of processes to something more, something that creates an experience is when food has been elevated to art.

Much like how any monkey can put together a computer, it's legos. It's elevated when someone creates a custom motherboard to fit a specific form factor and usage.

It's not an argument, it just is what it is. :)

Wow. You win - I certainly had no intention of being "willfully deceptive" (a little harsh? How can it be "willful" if it was not my intent? just find that confusing...). For the record, I did not say "little or no science", I said maybe 50%. Happy Holidays! I will be out buying a monkey to cook for me :D
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    redheaddee wrote: »
    Please stop the madness ladies. I have already seen multiple posts asking what detoxes you should be doing. NONE. Stop it. It is the holiday, and we all enjoyed the wonderful food. Stop stressing yourself, it is not as if you eat like this every day. We must all learn to be kind to our bodies and our minds, and all this guilt and shame about the food we ate is not good for our mental health. Stop it. Wake up today, go to the gym, don't eat 1000 cookies, and enjoy yourselves. Stop the food guilt already.

I'm laughing at the sexism because only ladies use detoxes.
    target+yeah+right.gif
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Please stop the madness ladies. I have already seen multiple posts asking what detoxes you should be doing. NONE. Stop it. It is the holiday, and we all enjoyed the wonderful food. Stop stressing yourself, it is not as if you eat like this every day. We must all learn to be kind to our bodies and our minds, and all this guilt and shame about the food we ate is not good for our mental health. Stop it. Wake up today, go to the gym, don't eat 1000 cookies, and enjoy yourselves. Stop the food guilt already.

Too late, I've already had 1000 peanut butter Oreos... I don't feel guilty though :laugh:
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have been on the Port detox for 2 days it's great....... hic......really really great!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

target+yeah+right.gif

I wrote this because by 8 o'clock this morning, I had already seen four posts about detoxes, lamenting all the food they ate over the holidays. And guess what? All ladies.

This post is written for them.

I won't even dignify the sexism bit.

I do thank you for the lovely Mr Draper
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    auntrhon66 wrote: »
    ketorach wrote: »
    ryanhorn wrote: »

I agree! I think it's completely wrong to view food as just fuel. Food is fuel, but it's also a form of celebration, a form of comfort, a way of sharing, and a form of tradition.
    Not for everyone. For some people, food really is just fuel. They eat to fuel their bodies, meet their nutritional needs, or achieve their fitness goals. That's not wrong. It's just not how you view it.

bwahahahaha...get over yourself...and stop being so smug

I didnt see it as smug ? I am one of those people who eat because they have to. I take no pleasure in food. I do not express my love to someone by cooking them a special meal, nor do I appreciate it the way they want me to when they cook one for me. I do not crave anything. It is what it is. Some things physcially taste better than others, but I really do not care. I have no preference in foods most of the time.

And..... I fully understand not everyone is this way. Someone above mentioned food as art - that is how I explain it... If cooking were all science, it would be easy for me. But it is about 50% art, and I have not one artistic bone in my body. I am glad some people have a hobby they enjoy. It is not mine, that is all.
    -
    - I am sure you do not spend your evenings organizing your hard drive simply because you enjoy it... but I do... We are different, I think that is all they were getting to. I still enjoyed reading this thread even though it does not really apply to me :)
    -
    - Cheers.

strong troll is strong
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Too late, I've already had 1000 peanut butter Oreos... I don't feel guilty though :laugh:

Those are so good. It's unreal.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Those are so good. It's unreal.

They really are!
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The OP got flagged as abuse. This flag stuff is so out of hand.

s4wm05tfw5rg.gif

On topic: If your kidneys and liver are working OK you don't need to "detox", whatever that is.

oyf7ydzqqrwf.png

• aylajane
    edited December 2014
    Options
    LotusAsh wrote: »

I agree! I think it's completely wrong to view food as just fuel. Food is fuel, but it's also a form of celebration, a form of comfort, a way of sharing, and a form of tradition.
    Not for everyone. For some people, food really is just fuel. They eat to fuel their bodies, meet their nutritional needs, or achieve their fitness goals. That's not wrong. It's just not how you view it.

I didnt see it as smug ? I am one of those people who eat because they have to. I take no pleasure in food. I do not express my love to someone by cooking them a special meal, nor do I appreciate it the way they want me to when they cook one for me. I do not crave anything. It is what it is. Some things physcially taste better than others, but I really do not care. I have no preference in foods most of the time.

And..... I fully understand not everyone is this way. Someone above mentioned food as art - that is how I explain it... If cooking were all science, it would be easy for me. But it is about 50% art, and I have not one artistic bone in my body. I am glad some people have a hobby they enjoy. It is not mine, that is all.
    -
    - I am sure you do not spend your evenings organizing your hard drive simply because you enjoy it... but I do... We are different, I think that is all they were getting to. I still enjoyed reading this thread even though it does not really apply to me :)
    -
    - Cheers.

strong troll is strong

Just curious what part of this made me seem like a troll? Sorry, my first time being accused of that :) Kind of cool (wrong, but cool ) :)

I rarely jump into these discussions, but for some reason am bored today!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

-
    -
    - Cheers.

strong troll is strong

Just curious what part of this made me seem like a troll? Sorry, my first time being accused of that :) Kind of cool (wrong, but cool ) :)

Basically your saying that you have no sense of being as in the hierarchy of being and if that's true then there's probably some psychology behind it......food is sustenance for sure, but as soon as we develop our sense of taste we are discerning and place one over an other in a preference fashion and eventually the degree's become more distinguishable and generally people are able to talk about it.....wine for example or the difference between oysters from the North Atlantic and the Indian ocean..as examples. Not to have any of the normal preferences for something we do every day and which also has infinite degrees of variance could seem like trolling.

• aylajane
    edited December 2014
    Options

-
    -
    - Cheers.

strong troll is strong

Basically your saying that you have no sense of being as in the hierarchy of being and if that's true then there's probably some psychology behind it......food is sustenance for sure, but as soon as we develop our sense of taste we are discerning and place one over an other in a preference fashion and eventually the degree's become more distinguishable and generally people are able to talk about it.....wine for example or the difference between oysters from the North Atlantic and the Indian ocean..as examples. Not to have any of the normal preferences for something we do every day and which also has infinite degrees of variance could seem like trolling.

Hmmm. I did say some things physically taste better than others. I have said many times that all wines taste the same to me (bad). It is not that I do not "like" one food over another. I have no tolerance for anything remotely spicy (the joke in my family is that mayo is too spicy for me). I find things I "like" and I just stick with them because it is easy for me, and I prefer to focus on other things. I do not plan meals in advance or think about going to a special restaurant or having a special meal. When I am hungry, I eat the first thing I find that I "like" more than I "dislike", and that is easy to get to the point of eating (i.e. not cooking it). My general rule is that if it takes longer to make than it does to eat, it is not for me... LOL.

I have often gotten to where I find something easy that I "like" and I will simply live on it. For nearly a year I ate 5-8 hot pockets a day (all the same kind). Another year I had 4 bowls of oatmeal and a salad a day. For a few months I ate a specific item fro Taco Bell multiple times a day. Another year it was banquet TV dinners (all the same kind). I did occasionally eat other food during that time, but 90% of it was that one thing. I simply have zero interest in choosing food in general - if I know I like something, I will eat it all the time rather than making a choice or thinking about what I am "craving". That doesnt stop me from overeating out of boredom and getting fat. Cooking I have less than zero interest (yes, I know not possible... its an expression).

I didnt say I was not weird or different. I only brought it up because someone else said that some people eat for fuel not pleasure and she was called smug. I do not eat for pleasure. I occasionally experience pleasure from what I eat, but I just really do not care. I still "like" and "dislike" foods, I simply do not eat because I enjoy it or as a celebration type of thing. I go to the bathroom multiple times a day too, and put little to no thought into that either.

I am ok with being an evolutionary outlier, or a troll or no belonging in the hierarchy of being. Was just curious about the reasoning. Thanks for explaining. Sorry for interupting the thread! Back to detoxes...
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I agree, the concept of detoxing is strange. Detoxing means getting rid of toxins from the body. I consider drugs, nicotine, alcohol toxins, and some might prefer coffee as well (I don't, lol I love coffee). Food is not poison. If you eat too much sugar, too much fat, too much salt, etc, then you need to cut back and eat clean and healthy, but it's not detox.

So many things are labeled as detox it drives me crazy. For example infused water. I drink infused water all the time, I just put strawberry and mint in my water, or lemon and lime, other times mint and cucumber, etc. All it does is makes me want to drink more water because it looks pretty and tastes better. But all the added claims annoy me, such as it detoxes the liver, helps you lose weight, clear skin, etc etc. I've been drinking water like that for 2 year and I gained 30 lbs because of my calorie intake.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I am doing a leftover detox today. My poor refrigerator had all sorts of things clogging it up... leftover stuffed focaccia bread, ravioli, assorted cheese and salami, not to mention all the leftover cookies still on the festive holiday platters and a half drunk bottle of pinot grigio. If I don't help my refrigerator jump start its weight loss who will?
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

I too wondered why this was just aimed at women, but then realised I was on MFP.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'm detoxing my Christmas stocking of all it's chocolate at the moment.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

-
    -
    - Cheers.

strong troll is strong

Hmmm. I did say some things physically taste better than others. I have said many times that all wines taste the same to me (bad). It is not that I do not "like" one food over another. I have no tolerance for anything remotely spicy (the joke in my family is that mayo is too spicy for me). I find things I "like" and I just stick with them because it is easy for me, and I prefer to focus on other things. I do not plan meals in advance or think about going to a special restaurant or having a special meal. When I am hungry, I eat the first thing I find that I "like" more than I "dislike", and that is easy to get to the point of eating (i.e. not cooking it). My general rule is that if it takes longer to make than it does to eat, it is not for me... LOL.

I have often gotten to where I find something easy that I "like" and I will simply live on it. For nearly a year I ate 5-8 hot pockets a day (all the same kind). Another year I had 4 bowls of oatmeal and a salad a day. For a few months I ate a specific item fro Taco Bell multiple times a day. Another year it was banquet TV dinners (all the same kind). I did occasionally eat other food during that time, but 90% of it was that one thing. I simply have zero interest in choosing food in general - if I know I like something, I will eat it all the time rather than making a choice or thinking about what I am "craving". That doesnt stop me from overeating out of boredom and getting fat. Cooking I have less than zero interest (yes, I know not possible... its an expression).

I didnt say I was not weird or different. I only brought it up because someone else said that some people eat for fuel not pleasure and she was called smug. I do not eat for pleasure. I occasionally experience pleasure from what I eat, but I just really do not care. I still "like" and "dislike" foods, I simply do not eat because I enjoy it or as a celebration type of thing. I go to the bathroom multiple times a day too, and put little to no thought into that either.

I am ok with being an evolutionary outlier, or a troll or no belonging in the hierarchy of being. Was just curious about the reasoning. Thanks for explaining. Sorry for interupting the thread! Back to detoxes...

I find this so strange and interesting...and timely, even. My mother-in-law is staying with me during the holidays and she simply doesn't like food. I've known her for many years, but never had to cook for her day in and day out like I have, so this is the first time I've realized that she really just doesn't like to eat. It's astounding to me! She eats the same bland food every day because she has to. She doesn't try anything new because she knows she's not going to like it. She starts with the same breakfast every morning: white toast, frozen waffles, sweet iced tea (Lipton). I saw her eat a handful of peanuts the other day. I made a really good chicken soup with loads of vegetables and orzo and quinoa..she drank the broth and left everything else. How can she live like this?? I love food...all the different flavors and textures, mixing spices and herbs and pairing with various wines...it's such a sensual thing. To not experience that would be like being deaf or blind.

Anyway... detoxes = nonsense. The closest I've ever come to feeling like "detoxing" is after a day of eating lots of processed, sugary junk food, I just feel like eating fresh salads for a day or two.