edited December 2014
    Options
    In for focacio and pinot. Yum!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    logg1e wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'm laughing at the sexism because only ladies use detoxes.

I too wondered why this was just aimed at women, but then realised I was on MFP.

Feel like I answered this one somewhere...hmm...perhaps if one were to read the whole post...maybe, just maybe...

• 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    instead of cookies, i'm going to have mini cupcakes. vanilla, with vanilla frosting and sprinkles.
    What detox would you suggest if I ate 1000 of these? (snicker)
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    How can she live like this?? I love food...all the different flavors and textures, mixing spices and herbs and pairing with various wines...it's such a sensual thing. To not experience that would be like being deaf or blind.

Oh that is a great way to put it! I know someone who is legally blind, but can view some shapes and get around. But her hearing is out of this world... She can hear things I never could.

Basically that is me with the sense of taste - I have enough to get around and have some "extremes", but basically its very dull. But my sense of "touch" is very much heightened, way more than most people I know.
    -
    - I like that - thank you :)

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    33Freya wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    instead of cookies, i'm going to have mini cupcakes. vanilla, with vanilla frosting and sprinkles.
    What detox would you suggest if I ate 1000 of these? (snicker)

Whip cream vodka, of course.

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    vjmbebll0z5q.jpeg
    I am DETOXING!

Great... now to detox I must find that tub of chocolate frosting I've been ignoring and eat it ALL!! Thanks @Liftng4Lis!! :tongue:
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    LotusAsh wrote: »
    auntrhon66 wrote: »
    ketorach wrote: »
    ryanhorn wrote: »
    redheaddee wrote: »
    Please stop the madness ladies. I have already seen multiple posts asking what detoxes you should be doing. NONE. Stop it. It is the holiday, and we all enjoyed the wonderful food. Stop stressing yourself, it is not as if you eat like this every day. We must all learn to be kind to our bodies and our minds, and all this guilt and shame about the food we ate is not good for our mental health. Stop it. Wake up today, go to the gym, don't eat 1000 cookies, and enjoy yourselves. Stop the food guilt already.

I agree! I think it's completely wrong to view food as just fuel. Food is fuel, but it's also a form of celebration, a form of comfort, a way of sharing, and a form of tradition.
    Not for everyone. For some people, food really is just fuel. They eat to fuel their bodies, meet their nutritional needs, or achieve their fitness goals. That's not wrong. It's just not how you view it.

bwahahahaha...get over yourself...and stop being so smug

I didnt see it as smug ? I am one of those people who eat because they have to. I take no pleasure in food. I do not express my love to someone by cooking them a special meal, nor do I appreciate it the way they want me to when they cook one for me. I do not crave anything. It is what it is. Some things physcially taste better than others, but I really do not care. I have no preference in foods most of the time.

And..... I fully understand not everyone is this way. Someone above mentioned food as art - that is how I explain it... If cooking were all science, it would be easy for me. But it is about 50% art, and I have not one artistic bone in my body. I am glad some people have a hobby they enjoy. It is not mine, that is all.
    -
    - I am sure you do not spend your evenings organizing your hard drive simply because you enjoy it... but I do... We are different, I think that is all they were getting to. I still enjoyed reading this thread even though it does not really apply to me :)
    -
    - Cheers.

strong troll is strong

Just curious what part of this made me seem like a troll? Sorry, my first time being accused of that :) Kind of cool (wrong, but cool ) :)

I rarely jump into these discussions, but for some reason am bored today!
    Basically your saying that you have no sense of being as in the hierarchy of being and if that's true then there's probably some psychology behind it......food is sustenance for sure, but as soon as we develop our sense of taste we are discerning and place one over an other in a preference fashion and eventually the degree's become more distinguishable and generally people are able to talk about it.....wine for example or the difference between oysters from the North Atlantic and the Indian ocean..as examples. Not to have any of the normal preferences for something we do every day and which also has infinite degrees of variance could seem like trolling.

Hmmm. I did say some things physically taste better than others. I have said many times that all wines taste the same to me (bad). It is not that I do not "like" one food over another. I have no tolerance for anything remotely spicy (the joke in my family is that mayo is too spicy for me). I find things I "like" and I just stick with them because it is easy for me, and I prefer to focus on other things. I do not plan meals in advance or think about going to a special restaurant or having a special meal. When I am hungry, I eat the first thing I find that I "like" more than I "dislike", and that is easy to get to the point of eating (i.e. not cooking it). My general rule is that if it takes longer to make than it does to eat, it is not for me... LOL.

I have often gotten to where I find something easy that I "like" and I will simply live on it. For nearly a year I ate 5-8 hot pockets a day (all the same kind). Another year I had 4 bowls of oatmeal and a salad a day. For a few months I ate a specific item fro Taco Bell multiple times a day. Another year it was banquet TV dinners (all the same kind). I did occasionally eat other food during that time, but 90% of it was that one thing. I simply have zero interest in choosing food in general - if I know I like something, I will eat it all the time rather than making a choice or thinking about what I am "craving". That doesnt stop me from overeating out of boredom and getting fat. Cooking I have less than zero interest (yes, I know not possible... its an expression).

I didnt say I was not weird or different. I only brought it up because someone else said that some people eat for fuel not pleasure and she was called smug. I do not eat for pleasure. I occasionally experience pleasure from what I eat, but I just really do not care. I still "like" and "dislike" foods, I simply do not eat because I enjoy it or as a celebration type of thing. I go to the bathroom multiple times a day too, and put little to no thought into that either.

I am ok with being an evolutionary outlier, or a troll or no belonging in the hierarchy of being. Was just curious about the reasoning. Thanks for explaining. Sorry for interupting the thread! Back to detoxes...

i know at least 2 people like you. i don't think you're trolling at all, well, unless they were trolling.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    How can she live like this?? I love food...all the different flavors and textures, mixing spices and herbs and pairing with various wines...it's such a sensual thing. To not experience that would be like being deaf or blind.

Oh that is a great way to put it! I know someone who is legally blind, but can view some shapes and get around. But her hearing is out of this world... She can hear things I never could.

Basically that is me with the sense of taste - I have enough to get around and have some "extremes", but basically its very dull. But my sense of "touch" is very much heightened, way more than most people I know.
    -

You've helped me see my mother-in-law in a different light, too, rather than just a picky eater who refuses to try anything new...
  • aylajane
    edited December 2014
    Options

-

You've helped me see my mother-in-law in a different light, too, rather than just a picky eater who refuses to try anything new...

Awesome! And people who are blind or deaf are perfectly capable of having an enjoyable fulfilling life without seeing or hearing - it does not make them "not belong in the hierarchy of being". I have an enjoyable, fulfilling life - I find pleasure in plenty of things besides the taste of food or eating meals together or cooking. That heightened sense of touch? lots of pleasure there :)
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I was in the weight room before 10am and have already eaten 1000 calories today and the only holiday food I have touched is a piece of fudge. Moderation... it's a wonderful concept.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Please stop the madness ladies. I have already seen multiple posts asking what detoxes you should be doing. NONE. Stop it. It is the holiday, and we all enjoyed the wonderful food. Stop stressing yourself, it is not as if you eat like this every day. We must all learn to be kind to our bodies and our minds, and all this guilt and shame about the food we ate is not good for our mental health. Stop it. Wake up today, go to the gym, don't eat 1000 cookies, and enjoy yourselves. Stop the food guilt already.

I agree! I think it's completely wrong to view food as just fuel. Food is fuel, but it's also a form of celebration, a form of comfort, a way of sharing, and a form of tradition.
    Not for everyone. For some people, food really is just fuel. They eat to fuel their bodies, meet their nutritional needs, or achieve their fitness goals. That's not wrong. It's just not how you view it.

I didnt see it as smug ? I am one of those people who eat because they have to. I take no pleasure in food. I do not express my love to someone by cooking them a special meal, nor do I appreciate it the way they want me to when they cook one for me. I do not crave anything. It is what it is. Some things physcially taste better than others, but I really do not care. I have no preference in foods most of the time.

And..... I fully understand not everyone is this way. Someone above mentioned food as art - that is how I explain it... If cooking were all science, it would be easy for me. But it is about 50% art, and I have not one artistic bone in my body. I am glad some people have a hobby they enjoy. It is not mine, that is all.
    -
    - I am sure you do not spend your evenings organizing your hard drive simply because you enjoy it... but I do... We are different, I think that is all they were getting to. I still enjoyed reading this thread even though it does not really apply to me :)
    -
    - Cheers.

strong troll is strong

Just curious what part of this made me seem like a troll? Sorry, my first time being accused of that :) Kind of cool (wrong, but cool ) :)

Basically your saying that you have no sense of being as in the hierarchy of being and if that's true then there's probably some psychology behind it......food is sustenance for sure, but as soon as we develop our sense of taste we are discerning and place one over an other in a preference fashion and eventually the degree's become more distinguishable and generally people are able to talk about it.....wine for example or the difference between oysters from the North Atlantic and the Indian ocean..as examples. Not to have any of the normal preferences for something we do every day and which also has infinite degrees of variance could seem like trolling.

Hmmm. I did say some things physically taste better than others. I have said many times that all wines taste the same to me (bad). It is not that I do not "like" one food over another. I have no tolerance for anything remotely spicy (the joke in my family is that mayo is too spicy for me). I find things I "like" and I just stick with them because it is easy for me, and I prefer to focus on other things. I do not plan meals in advance or think about going to a special restaurant or having a special meal. When I am hungry, I eat the first thing I find that I "like" more than I "dislike", and that is easy to get to the point of eating (i.e. not cooking it). My general rule is that if it takes longer to make than it does to eat, it is not for me... LOL.

I have often gotten to where I find something easy that I "like" and I will simply live on it. For nearly a year I ate 5-8 hot pockets a day (all the same kind). Another year I had 4 bowls of oatmeal and a salad a day. For a few months I ate a specific item fro Taco Bell multiple times a day. Another year it was banquet TV dinners (all the same kind). I did occasionally eat other food during that time, but 90% of it was that one thing. I simply have zero interest in choosing food in general - if I know I like something, I will eat it all the time rather than making a choice or thinking about what I am "craving". That doesnt stop me from overeating out of boredom and getting fat. Cooking I have less than zero interest (yes, I know not possible... its an expression).

I didnt say I was not weird or different. I only brought it up because someone else said that some people eat for fuel not pleasure and she was called smug. I do not eat for pleasure. I occasionally experience pleasure from what I eat, but I just really do not care. I still "like" and "dislike" foods, I simply do not eat because I enjoy it or as a celebration type of thing. I go to the bathroom multiple times a day too, and put little to no thought into that either.

I am ok with being an evolutionary outlier, or a troll or no belonging in the hierarchy of being. Was just curious about the reasoning. Thanks for explaining. Sorry for interupting the thread! Back to detoxes...

Now I'm curious. Are you autistic? Or on the Asperger's spectrum?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

It's art, and when I cook... I raise food to the sublime, and while people taste it I whisper, "This is how I make love to your mouth."

That is cruel, everyone should be able to eat food like that. Your wife is one lucky woman.

Why was the OP flagged???
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

It's art, and when I cook... I raise food to the sublime, and while people taste it I whisper, "This is how I make love to your mouth."

That is cruel, everyone should be able to eat food like that. Your wife is one lucky woman.

Why was the OP flagged???

because people are ridiculous? it would be way more entertaining if we could see who is doing all the flagging instead of it being anonymous.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

That's a very non-human way of thinking. We are social creatures. Meals are social events. Food has very strong effects on our brains and has major effects on mood, and bonding with others.

Food is way more than just fuel. It always has been.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    http://t.co/6lObrwcv7w

This sums it up well!!! I would also LOVE to know what "toxins" are being "cleansed" from my system........ Please do tell!!!
  • aylajane
    Options

-
    -
    - Cheers.

strong troll is strong

Lol - no, though I am a bit odd in may ways. I do like numbers and patterns, but not obsessive about it (clinically, anyway :) ). My sense of taste is simply not that discerning and as such I can "take it or leave it" - I have no interest in food itself, especially if I have to make it. Taste is a sense, like sight and smell and hearing - everyone has different levels of it. Mine is just lower than others for taste, as well my hearing is lower than others. But sight and touch are a little higher than normal. Smell is about average I think.
  • aylajane
    edited December 2014
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »

That's a very non-human way of thinking. We are social creatures. Meals are social events. Food has very strong effects on our brains and has major effects on mood, and bonding with others.

I eat almost every "meal" alone. I work alone all day, I live alone for the most part - I can go entire days without speaking out loud. Not everyone lives the same life. Meals are no more social to me than brushing my teeth.

Lol - this thread is the most social interaction I have had in awhile :)
  • dbmata
    Options

-
    -
    - Cheers.

strong troll is strong

Lol - no, though I am a bit odd in may ways. I do like numbers and patterns, but not obsessive about it (clinically, anyway :) ). My sense of taste is simply not that discerning and as such I can "take it or leave it" - I have no interest in food itself, especially if I have to make it. Taste is a sense, like sight and smell and hearing - everyone has different levels of it. Mine is just lower than others for taste, as well my hearing is lower than others. But sight and touch are a little higher than normal. Smell is about average I think.

Interesting. I have one friend, I refuse to cook for him, because it's a waste of effort. He approaches food like that because he has such a crippled sense of smell he doesn't even smell dead or rotting things. It's quite interesting.

Do you find the smell of food to be pleasing? Like a loaf of bread, etc.?
  • dbmata
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »

I eat almost every "meal" alone. I work alone all day, I live alone for the most part - I can go entire days without speaking out loud. Not everyone lives the same life. Meals are no more social to me than brushing my teeth.

Lol - this thread is the most social interaction I have had in awhile :)

This is me, I'm not sure if habit from fishing and hunting, but I find it refreshing not to speak sometimes. (and by sometimes I mean days.) I have no problem texting, emailing, or even sending junk pics. Just don't feel like talking sometimes. It's often so overdone when it happens anyway.

I want to say that's totally normal, because I'm like... totally normal. Now my wife, she talks all the time, even to herself, or the dog, or the cat. I just look at them and nod.