aylajane wrote: »
    LotusAsh wrote: »
    auntrhon66 wrote: »
    ketorach wrote: »
    ryanhorn wrote: »
    redheaddee wrote: »
    Please stop the madness ladies. I have already seen multiple posts asking what detoxes you should be doing. NONE. Stop it. It is the holiday, and we all enjoyed the wonderful food. Stop stressing yourself, it is not as if you eat like this every day. We must all learn to be kind to our bodies and our minds, and all this guilt and shame about the food we ate is not good for our mental health. Stop it. Wake up today, go to the gym, don't eat 1000 cookies, and enjoy yourselves. Stop the food guilt already.

I agree! I think it's completely wrong to view food as just fuel. Food is fuel, but it's also a form of celebration, a form of comfort, a way of sharing, and a form of tradition.
    Not for everyone. For some people, food really is just fuel. They eat to fuel their bodies, meet their nutritional needs, or achieve their fitness goals. That's not wrong. It's just not how you view it.

bwahahahaha...get over yourself...and stop being so smug

I didnt see it as smug ? I am one of those people who eat because they have to. I take no pleasure in food. I do not express my love to someone by cooking them a special meal, nor do I appreciate it the way they want me to when they cook one for me. I do not crave anything. It is what it is. Some things physcially taste better than others, but I really do not care. I have no preference in foods most of the time.

And..... I fully understand not everyone is this way. Someone above mentioned food as art - that is how I explain it... If cooking were all science, it would be easy for me. But it is about 50% art, and I have not one artistic bone in my body. I am glad some people have a hobby they enjoy. It is not mine, that is all.
    -
    - I am sure you do not spend your evenings organizing your hard drive simply because you enjoy it... but I do... We are different, I think that is all they were getting to. I still enjoyed reading this thread even though it does not really apply to me :)
    -
    - Cheers.

strong troll is strong

Just curious what part of this made me seem like a troll? Sorry, my first time being accused of that :) Kind of cool (wrong, but cool ) :)

I rarely jump into these discussions, but for some reason am bored today!
    Basically your saying that you have no sense of being as in the hierarchy of being and if that's true then there's probably some psychology behind it......food is sustenance for sure, but as soon as we develop our sense of taste we are discerning and place one over an other in a preference fashion and eventually the degree's become more distinguishable and generally people are able to talk about it.....wine for example or the difference between oysters from the North Atlantic and the Indian ocean..as examples. Not to have any of the normal preferences for something we do every day and which also has infinite degrees of variance could seem like trolling.

Hmmm. I did say some things physically taste better than others. I have said many times that all wines taste the same to me (bad). It is not that I do not "like" one food over another. I have no tolerance for anything remotely spicy (the joke in my family is that mayo is too spicy for me). I find things I "like" and I just stick with them because it is easy for me, and I prefer to focus on other things. I do not plan meals in advance or think about going to a special restaurant or having a special meal. When I am hungry, I eat the first thing I find that I "like" more than I "dislike", and that is easy to get to the point of eating (i.e. not cooking it). My general rule is that if it takes longer to make than it does to eat, it is not for me... LOL.

I have often gotten to where I find something easy that I "like" and I will simply live on it. For nearly a year I ate 5-8 hot pockets a day (all the same kind). Another year I had 4 bowls of oatmeal and a salad a day. For a few months I ate a specific item fro Taco Bell multiple times a day. Another year it was banquet TV dinners (all the same kind). I did occasionally eat other food during that time, but 90% of it was that one thing. I simply have zero interest in choosing food in general - if I know I like something, I will eat it all the time rather than making a choice or thinking about what I am "craving". That doesnt stop me from overeating out of boredom and getting fat. Cooking I have less than zero interest (yes, I know not possible... its an expression).

I didnt say I was not weird or different. I only brought it up because someone else said that some people eat for fuel not pleasure and she was called smug. I do not eat for pleasure. I occasionally experience pleasure from what I eat, but I just really do not care. I still "like" and "dislike" foods, I simply do not eat because I enjoy it or as a celebration type of thing. I go to the bathroom multiple times a day too, and put little to no thought into that either.

I am ok with being an evolutionary outlier, or a troll or no belonging in the hierarchy of being. Was just curious about the reasoning. Thanks for explaining. Sorry for interupting the thread! Back to detoxes...

Now I'm curious. Are you autistic? Or on the Asperger's spectrum?

Lol - no, though I am a bit odd in may ways. I do like numbers and patterns, but not obsessive about it (clinically, anyway :) ). My sense of taste is simply not that discerning and as such I can "take it or leave it" - I have no interest in food itself, especially if I have to make it. Taste is a sense, like sight and smell and hearing - everyone has different levels of it. Mine is just lower than others for taste, as well my hearing is lower than others. But sight and touch are a little higher than normal. Smell is about average I think.

Interesting. I have one friend, I refuse to cook for him, because it's a waste of effort. He approaches food like that because he has such a crippled sense of smell he doesn't even smell dead or rotting things. It's quite interesting.

Do you find the smell of food to be pleasing? Like a loaf of bread, etc.?

I have gone through brief phases where I could not eat anything I could smell first - i.e. tuna and meat mostly. Just the brief smell of it and I would feel sick. But in general, I can smell food and sometimes it smells ok and sometimes it smells good. I do not care for the smell of coffee at all - that one bothers me. But smelling it doesnt make me "hungry" for it. I will buy air freshener in cinnamon and vanilla because I like those smells, but if you put a cinnamon roll in front of me and a protein bar, i will eat the protein bar - PowerCrunch or Quest bars only... I do not care for chocolate usually! But I have lived for months on 8-10 Vanilla PowerCrunch bars a day (and yes, I have to take vitamins :) ).
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    tigersword wrote: »
    Please stop the madness ladies. I have already seen multiple posts asking what detoxes you should be doing. NONE. Stop it. It is the holiday, and we all enjoyed the wonderful food. Stop stressing yourself, it is not as if you eat like this every day. We must all learn to be kind to our bodies and our minds, and all this guilt and shame about the food we ate is not good for our mental health. Stop it. Wake up today, go to the gym, don't eat 1000 cookies, and enjoy yourselves. Stop the food guilt already.

I agree! I think it's completely wrong to view food as just fuel. Food is fuel, but it's also a form of celebration, a form of comfort, a way of sharing, and a form of tradition.
    Not for everyone. For some people, food really is just fuel. They eat to fuel their bodies, meet their nutritional needs, or achieve their fitness goals. That's not wrong. It's just not how you view it.

That's a very non-human way of thinking. We are social creatures. Meals are social events. Food has very strong effects on our brains and has major effects on mood, and bonding with others.

Food is way more than just fuel. It always has been.

I eat almost every "meal" alone. I work alone all day, I live alone for the most part - I can go entire days without speaking out loud. Not everyone lives the same life. Meals are no more social to me than brushing my teeth.

Lol - this thread is the most social interaction I have had in awhile :)

This is me, I'm not sure if habit from fishing and hunting, but I find it refreshing not to speak sometimes. (and by sometimes I mean days.) I have no problem texting, emailing, or even sending junk pics. Just don't feel like talking sometimes. It's often so overdone when it happens anyway.

I want to say that's totally normal, because I'm like... totally normal. Now my wife, she talks all the time, even to herself, or the dog, or the cat. I just look at them and nod.

It sounds normal to me :wink:
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    just break up
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

That's a very non-human way of thinking. We are social creatures. Meals are social events. Food has very strong effects on our brains and has major effects on mood, and bonding with others.

I eat almost every "meal" alone. I work alone all day, I live alone for the most part - I can go entire days without speaking out loud. Not everyone lives the same life. Meals are no more social to me than brushing my teeth.

yep, same. although, i post a LOT on the internet. i'm the number one poster on another popular forum by post count. i like to type. social interaction without a computer screen is hard.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

yep, same. although, i post a LOT on the internet. i'm the number one poster on another popular forum by post count. i like to type. social interaction without a computer screen is hard.

"I love my computer - all my friends live there" :smiley:
  • Aviva92
    Options

"I love my computer - all my friends live there" :smiley:

yep, this is so true for me!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    "Bars are target rich environments," is a good saying too.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options

^^ this!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I love this. I think it is so important to be able to indulge once in a while and then be able to get back on track without having to "punish" yourself by depriving yourself of food for the weeks to follow. This behavior screams eating disorder and unhealthy relationships with food.

I know I have felt guilty in the past when I over did it at supper...but 1 meal does not make you fat. I just count it is as a write off and proceed as usual in the AM.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I just saw a coconut water "detox" while I was at the shop. $40 for a bottle of coconut water, you mix it with water and that's all you drink for 48 hours! How bloody ridiculous :(
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I made two smoothies along with my regular meals/snacks today. Wouldn't call it a cleanse but definitely wanted to do this in order to balance out the holiday dinner last night! I didn't even bother weighing myself (and I weigh in every single day lol).
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I don't care what your point was. Implying that there is no or little science applied to cooking is not just inaccurate, it's willfully deceptive.

Any monkey can learn to cook. When someone elevates it from a simple collection of processes to something more, something that creates an experience is when food has been elevated to art.

Much like how any monkey can put together a computer, it's legos. It's elevated when someone creates a custom motherboard to fit a specific form factor and usage.

It's not an argument, it just is what it is. :)

Where can I hire one of these monkey chefs? I hate cooking, and I like monkeys, so it seems like a really good fit.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    My sticky pudding white wine detox wasn't working then I realized it is red wine one is supposed to drink with sticky toffee pudding. All is right with the world and I can no longer type.
    Happy holidays, h.

Ps. I have a sister that is high in all senses and finds food the most difficult thing. I got to finish all her meals when we were young so our mum thought she was enjoying her food.

• Stargazer525
    Stargazer525 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Agreed

• Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Wednesday and Thursday I probably ate more cookies and fudge and lord knows what else than I have eaten in six months. Loved every minute of it and between yesterday and the day before, I have lost 1.6 lbs and right back where I was before Christmas. I just been drinking a ton of water and keeping busy as well and walking 3 miles every evening. The thing to keep in mind, you lost it once and you can lose it again. As long as you have the tools to know how to get rid of it, you will be fine.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    chalk this citizen into the "not necessarily a social thing". during the week, food = fuel. and the "angry"response - I think his comment was okay, considering the passive aggressive, "you're not human/social" flavor of comments.

just cuz YOU have to be social with food and that YOU have those associations, not everybody is like that. food CAN be a part of a social event, but it doesn't have to be.

and dont fargin detox. gawd. if you do, don't be surprised of mercola comes out of your pooper.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

To you. But you aren't everyone nor do you speak for everyone.

Meals are social events? Blow me.

why does thinking of eating as a social event make you angry?

I'm thinking it was more the being classified as NON-HUMAN if you don't like being surrounded by people talking about a bunch of small talk nonsense while you try to enjoy your meal.
  • Aviva92
    Options

I'm thinking it was more the being classified as NON-HUMAN if you don't like being surrounded by people talking about a bunch of small talk nonsense while you try to enjoy your meal.

oh! yeah, that was pretty offensive. not everyone is good at small talk. i'm terrible at it.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

oh! yeah, that was pretty offensive. not everyone is good at small talk. i'm terrible at it.

Yup, love food, loathe social gatherings. I'd rather eat a nice meal by myself then surrounded by a bunch of friends/colleagues. Pretty sure I'm still human though.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I don't care what your point was. Implying that there is no or little science applied to cooking is not just inaccurate, it's willfully deceptive.

Any monkey can learn to cook. When someone elevates it from a simple collection of processes to something more, something that creates an experience is when food has been elevated to art.

Much like how any monkey can put together a computer, it's legos. It's elevated when someone creates a custom motherboard to fit a specific form factor and usage.

It's not an argument, it just is what it is. :)

Where can I hire one of these monkey chefs? I hate cooking, and I like monkeys, so it seems like a really good fit.

I believe based on the amount of body hair I have, I'm not too far out of the monkey tree we collectively fell out of.

I prefer benjamins over bananas though. lol