Lapband/gastric bypass surgery

Options
Hello all,

Does anyone know the minimum bmi to be able to have this procedure in Australia? I have looked online and can't find a definate answer. After constantly trying to diet and workout this may be the answer to my prayers.

Replies

• fablizy
    fablizy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I can tell you from experience if you don't have the motivation and willpower to eat healthy this is a quick fix for a short term but ultimately will back fire and cause issues. I would find your true motivating and work on fixing that before considering this surgery.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    25gtaw5.gif
  • Fatkat121212
    Fatkat121212 Posts: 21
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I am not a cheater AJ I have lost 38 kg on my own since May this year. My body has stopped responding and I still have a long way to go. I don't want to have a heart attack before I reach 30 :(.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I am not a cheater AJ I have lost 38 kg on my own since May this year. My body has stopped responding and I still have a long way

Why do you think it has "stopped responding" as you put it? Figure that out instead. You are obviously capable of losing weight, right? If that was true before, it can be true again. You don't need surgery!
  • AJ_G
    Options
    I am not a cheater AJ I have lost 38 kg on my own since May this year. My body has stopped responding and I still have a long way to go. I don't want to have a heart attack before I reach 30 :(.

Bodies don't just "stop responding". Lower calorie intake or increase activity to remain in a deficit and you will keep losing weight.
  • Fatkat121212
    Options
    I still have approx 50 pounds to lose. I would still reduce calories and exercise but just feel it may help me keep the weight off forever.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    I still have approx 50 pounds to lose. I would still reduce calories and exercise but just feel it may help me keep the weight off forever.

50 pounds is nothing, you can lose that by the end of 2015 and you can do it without any surgery.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't think they'd do it if you only have 50lbs to lose...
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Generally you need to be morbidly obese (BMI above 45) or obese (35-40) and have risk factors linked to obesity (heart disease, diabetes), or at the discretion of your surgical team. Due to the severe side effects, this is a decision you need to make with your Dr, or the surgeon your Dr refers you to. Keep in mind that there are possible side effects with the surgery, ranging from serious to uncomfortable to embarassing:
    • 30% of patients end up with gallstones
    • 20% of patients require follow-up surgery
    • 30% of patients end up with complications leading to malnutrition
    • The surgery may cause or worsen urinary or fecal incontinence
    • Patients can end up feeling cold, achey, or moody, and their hair may thin out
    • Patients are more likely to get diarrhea from eating fatty or sugary food
    • Dehydration and vomiting
    • Ulcers and stenosis at surgical site
    • Increased rates of suicide and substance abuse (food is no a comfort measure)

The surgery does not guarantee weight will stay off. Many patients have learned to eat around it. The answer to long term weight management is a healthy, calorie limited diet and exercise, whether or not you have the surgery.

If you are having problems losing weight and the problem is hunger, be sure to eat protein- and fiber-rich foods (the MFP recommendation for protein intake may be to low - try for .8g/kg of body weight or 1 g/lb lean mass). You can also try weighing your food to be sure of your calorie intake. You may be eating more than you think.

There has been research supporting HIIT as a more effective use of workout time than steady state cardio for weight loss. There are a number of workouts on the internet you can use. The best exercise program is one you can stick to, however. Try to find a way to work out that does not seem like a chore. I like Karate because I feel like I'm learning something, and I'm mentally engaged. I also like dancing, because music motivates me...

Be sure to talk to your Dr and good luck :)
  • Fatkat121212
    Options
    Thank you Kyta32 for the great response.
  • Fatkat121212
    Options
    Thanks billiejaime!

But if I have a heart attack from my morbid obesity I will also be up for thousands of dollars. Not to mention the daily embarrassment someone my size faces! I agree lapband is dangerous but it may end up being worth the gamble.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Does anyone know the minimum bmi to be able to have this procedure in Australia? I have looked online and can't find a definate answer. After constantly trying to diet and workout this may be the answer to my prayers.

I didn't read through all the replies so I apologize if this was said already.

Please think very carefully about the decision to have surgery and don't rush into it. It is not an "easy" fix (not saying you think it is). You have to weigh the benefits against the risks. Surgery can have life threatening consequences. I know some one who died 10 days after having gastric bypass because a clot (due to the procedure) got lodged in an artery that supplies the heart with blood. Not trying to scare you, just want you to make sure it is worth the risk.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If all you have to lose is 50 pounds, surgery would be an unnecessary expense and risk for you. It's a painful procedure, and from what I've been told first-hand by survivors, a very long and uncomfortable recovery with many possible complications. I'd say surgery is more of a last resort option for someone who is super morbidly obese and facing imminent death. It's not something you need to consider if you are simply overweight or moderately obese.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    Options
    Having my mother move in with us a few years after her surgery - I don't think it's an answer to prayers at all. However, it did convince me to lose weight without the surgery, and at a starting weight of nearly 150kg I was certainly a candidate.

I have now lost more weight without surgery than my mother has with surgery, (she's lost around 60kg, I've lost 72kg) and I don't have any of the nasty side effects that she has.

I have certainly hit some plateaus along the way, some have lasted for months. I kept going. You've already lost so much, keep fighting!
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options

Yeah… it doesn't work that way. In order for you to be able to keep it off forever, you still have to change the way you eat, your relationship with food, and your activity level. I have a dear friend who had gastric bypass several years ago. Yeah… she lost weight. But she never changed those things and she's putting weight back on now. So, if you're looking for something that will help you keep it off… you really are gonna have to still reduce your calories and increase your exercise.

With only 50 pounds to lose… I highly doubt you are considered morbidly obese. I still have 80 pounds to lose and I'm not even considered morbidly obese. If you want to avoid a heart attack or other health related problems… then change the way you eat and adopt some exercise into your life. And if you do that… you won't need the surgery.
  • oinkoink2242
    oinkoink2242 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My mother had lap band surgery and is doing great! Lost lots of weight, kept it off and doing it slowly and healthily!
    My uncle, who was very very large, had a gastric by-pass and lost a lot of weight very very fast. The lap band seems to replicate more natural results (slower weight loss, gradual, not all at once) compared to the by-pass. The lap band also restrict foods that you can eat, fruit, vegetables and meats are fine but heavy doughy foods like cakes and breads cause discomfort.
    My family has a high risk of diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol etc and surgery was a last resort for both my mother and my uncle, but has given great results as my mother is no longer pre-diabetic!
  • Fatkat121212
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments!

This is more than eating less and exercising if it were that simple for my body I would do it. Although I admit it's my own fault I am in this position I hate living life like this. Too embarrassed to go out, people looking at me and wondering how I let myself get to this size. I will call some centres on Monday and ask for a consultation however I was hoping that someone here may know the upper and lower limits needed for the surgery as I had a friend who needed to lose weight first and may even fall into this category as even with another 50 pounds gone I will still be considered obese.

The idea of this has given me something to look forward too.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options

The surgery does not guarantee weight will stay off. Many patients have learned to eat around it. The answer to long term weight management is a healthy, calorie limited diet and exercise, whether or not you have the surgery.

^^Re this statement, there is no guarantee the weight will stay off no matter how you lose. The statistics are staggeringly low for keeping the weight off past 5 years. While I agree, the OP is probably not a candidate for a surgical weight loss procedure because of the relatively low number of pounds needed to lose, there are many who can not lose weight without this option. We are all different. Other than the basic eating less calories than you burn, which we all have to follow to lose, no matter which weight loss path we choose, we can not possibly know what will work for anyone but ourselves, long term.

Keeping the weight off long term, is the challenge most of us will fail at. The statistics prove this, and it is true for however you lose the weight. Whether you choose a surgical option or by less calorie intake than calorie burned.

For many of us, it will take lifelong commitment, and changes, in order to keep the weight off, and the statistics for doing so are definitely not in our favor.

Best of luck to us all, however we can accomplish this.