Lapband/gastric bypass surgery

Options

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    But if I have a heart attack from my morbid obesity I will also be up for thousands of dollars. Not to mention the daily embarrassment someone my size faces! I agree lapband is dangerous but it may end up being worth the gamble.

That is a false dilemma. You don't have to choose between heart attack and operation. All you have to do to lose weight is eat less and move more, which is exactly what you need to do after the surgery, too.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments!

This is more than eating less and exercising if it were that simple for my body I would do it. Although I admit it's my own fault I am in this position I hate living life like this. Too embarrassed to go out, people looking at me and wondering how I let myself get to this size. I will call some centres on Monday and ask for a consultation however I was hoping that someone here may know the upper and lower limits needed for the surgery as I had a friend who needed to lose weight first and may even fall into this category as even with another 50 pounds gone I will still be considered obese.

The idea of this has given me something to look forward too.

It is hard to be successful when a person is making decisions out of a sense of embarrassment and self-blame. Move on.
    It is so much easier to go through this journey when one can be grateful for all that their body has done for them.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If 50 pounds has you afraid to leave your house and convinced people are staring at you, you have a form of body dysmorphia, and perhaps other serious psychological illness. I hope for your sake that your clinic sends you to the treatment you need
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I have no issues with cheating. I don't even understand why anyone really cares about that. If there were some way I could cheat without any side effects, I'd do it so fast your head would spin, lol.

It's the dangers involved that made me not even consider it. People who lose that way tend to gain it back, too. So, it's often a risk with no benefit.

If you've lost fifty pounds and kind of stalled out, you're not alone. Many people stall out around the six month mark. Many experts will advise you to spend 4-6 months eating to stay at the weight you are and then begin losing again. They seem to think people do better that way.

Talk your doctor. See what he thinks.

Remember not to leap before you look at these surgeries. And don't look at it and say, "That won't happen to me. It will happen to someone else!" Be sure that you're ready to accept those consequences before you go through with it.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options

This is more than eating less and exercising if it were that simple for my body I would do it. Although I admit it's my own fault I am in this position I hate living life like this. Too embarrassed to go out, people looking at me and wondering how I let myself get to this size. I will call some centres on Monday and ask for a consultation however I was hoping that someone here may know the upper and lower limits needed for the surgery as I had a friend who needed to lose weight first and may even fall into this category as even with another 50 pounds gone I will still be considered obese.

According to http://www.aihw.gov.au/overweight-and-obesity/
    60% of Australians are overweight or obese. 28% are obese. Obesity is not in any way rare enough for people to stare at you because of it. Most people are too occupied by what is going on in their own life to speculate for long about the life of a stranger. There is no reason to be self-consious in public. You need to be proud of your results so far, and appreciate everything your body does for you. Fifty pounds is unlikely to give you a heart attack before thirty if you have no other risk factors. Be kind with yourself. Obesity is less limiting than shame.

Please talk to your Dr about your weight loss stall, your medical concerns, and your embarrassment over your size. Hopefully you will be able to get help with everything. I wish you the best of luck in your journey :)
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I think you should talk to a Dr and be honest about your motivations and expectations. This is not a minor decision and, IMO, your expectations aren't realistic or healthy.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Except it really is that simple. How do you think the weight comes off after surgery? It is because you are eating less. It is not magic.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

Do you think it is easy for any of us to lose weight?

You have to respect yourself a bit more and dont care what others think. You lost a lot already so that proofs that you can do this. Losing 50 isnt much, but also isnt easy.
    But you can.
    99% of the people here find it hard to lose weight.
    I am very positive person in general and what i am doing makes me smile and proud. I do it easily. But still i have to work damn hard for it. I had from two surgeons the diagnoses that i would never run. But didnt give up. Started walking every day, first a few minutes and have build it up to 60 minutes a day. And i do 3x a slow jog of 10 minutes in those 60 minutes. This with a injured leg and a bad damaged back. I dont say you can do the same.
    But excuses are very easy and wont help you.
    Even sticking your arms 100 times in the air will help you when you cant walk. And the next day 110 times.
    The will power is the hard part in the whole weight losing journey. When you believe in your self than you can. And you WILL find a way to lose it.

That said you dont have to exercise to lose weight. It helps you get fit. But losing weight is mainly calories in vs calories out. So count all the calorie intake. Weigh all your food and measure all your liquid.

The advantage is that i learn portion control and i learn to be aware of what i am eating. This will help me maintaining better when the time comes.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!! START BELIEVING IN IT.

• spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    My pal who lives in another state had this done. She had to lose 20 before Dr. would do the surgery she had it done and put 9 pds back on so far :(
  • Fatkat121212
    Options
    Doesn't a lapband make it difficult to eat? An article I was reading said that it can only hold a tiny amount and the first few weeks you are virtually only able to consume liquids.

I don't know why everyone is so against this? I know everyone struggles to lose weight and I think you are all amazing to be able to do it.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    People on this board are amazingly against surgery. You are not going to find what you are looking for here. Find a good Bariatric Dr. who specializes in Weigh Loss Surgery. Lapbands are not being done here in the US on a broad scale now because they aren't considered a viable solution for many, but the Roux-en-y (bypass) and Sleeve Gastrectomy (sleeve) are.

We have Bariatric Centers of Excellence here. They require a certain BMI or co-morbidities to qualify. You need Psychiatric evaluations, counseling, physical screenings, a LOT of tests, dietary counseling and many, MANY other programs to qualify. You will also need to exercise, eat only proteins and low carb, and take Vitamin Supplements for the rest of your life. Meetings and Dieticians along with blood work are also very highly recommended, FOR LIFE.

This will not fix your life. You can still work your way around it and fail. BUT, the people who are all saying that everyone has complications are vastly overstating the true numbers.

Read up on the facts. They may surprise you :)

I wish you well.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    I still have approx 50 pounds to lose. I would still reduce calories and exercise but just feel it may help me keep the weight off forever.

50 pounds is nothing, you can lose that by the end of 2015 and you can do it without any surgery.

>_<
    Some idjit flagged that post.

FYAQFQ5.jpg
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I still have approx 50 pounds to lose. I would still reduce calories and exercise but just feel it may help me keep the weight off forever.

50 pounds is nothing, you can lose that by the end of 2015 and you can do it without any surgery.

>_<
    Some idjit flagged that post.

FYAQFQ5.jpg

I think false flagging should result in not being able to flag. To many people abuse flag because they didn't like being told something true. =\

totally agree!!! It must drive the moderators nuts having to sort through time wasting and unnecessary flags!! There is one particular poster that has every single one of her comments flagged. So, obviously some weirdo is following her around the forums ready to pounce. Pretty sad I think :(

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    25gtaw5.gif

Loves me some mario.
  • Fatkat121212
    Options
    I didn't flag anyone. If I did it was accidental this is one of the first times I have posted. I have much bigger problems at the moment than worrying about flagging someone's opinion that I asked for!
  • DEBSMITLEY
    DEBSMITLEY Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did the lap band surgery in 2001, you still have to do a life style change, it is a nice tool to get you started on losing weight. I lost 60lbs and started to gain it back, I now have 115lbs off and hit a Plato on losing weight, I have 40 more to go and struggling every day with it. I know I need to change my eating habits. kind of been eating what ever I wanted but less and doing lots of exercise. It's time for the life style change now.

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Dear OP,

You have received a lot of advice and I have another small bit for you, please , please, please contact people here on MYFIT who have had the surgery and who can communicate with you. There are many forums and many people that can tell you what happened with their individual cases:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1174482/gastric-bypass

http://www.bariatricpal.com/forum/771-general-gastric-bypass-surgery-discussion/

Good Luck to you as you strive for a Healthier 2015 and a healthier life.

• DEBSMITLEY
    DEBSMITLEY Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Doesn't a lapband make it difficult to eat? An article I was reading said that it can only hold a tiny amount and the first few weeks you are virtually only able to consume liquids.

I don't know why everyone is so against this? I know everyone struggles to lose weight and I think you are all amazing to be able to do it.

You can put back on weight after lap band surgery, I had it done and did start to gain back weight, you still have to work at it, it is just a tool, I have now lost 115lbs and I am stuck now, my cousin had a revision, I thought about it but I am having problems keeping Iron, proteins and B12 up where it's suppose to be. so I am doing it on my own like I should have done after the surgery.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I know a very morbidly obese person from work that ate his way around it. I also met some online friends that did it and he had to go to the bathroom straigh after we ate.. he didn't seem well. Just really put all your effort into MFP instead. You are not that fat to risk it in my eyes sorry. Anyhow whatever you decide I wish you well.