Best shoes for various cardio, strength training, some running?

Options
2»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    azwen wrote: »
    Hmm. That's what I was wondering. I think for now, I will get a pair of cross trainers. When I finish C25K, if I want to do more running, I will get a pair of running shoes. (I have never enjoyed running, but my husband would love for me to run a 5K with him, so I decided to at least give C25K a chance, to give us an activity we can do together.) Thanks for the recommendations. I will look into those. Any more advice?

Get running shoes anyway.

I like your conclusion, 603. Might as well end the thread.

I can't tell of you're being sarcastic or not.

Even with C25K I believe running shoes are important. I'm an injured runner and part of it is probably from the wrong shoes when I started out. Yeah running shoes are expensive but physical therapy is more. Hit my deductible in late February and exhausted my FSA by May due to PT. The right shoes are 100-150$. A PT session prior to hitting your deductible was 90$.
    I'd amend running shoes to right shoes.

Brooks effed up my knees something fierce. Had to fix them with five fingers. Now I can go back to "normal" shoes for running again.

It's important to find the right shoe for you, not the right shoe the dude at the running store picks out to maximize commish.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    azwen wrote: »
    Hmm. That's what I was wondering. I think for now, I will get a pair of cross trainers. When I finish C25K, if I want to do more running, I will get a pair of running shoes. (I have never enjoyed running, but my husband would love for me to run a 5K with him, so I decided to at least give C25K a chance, to give us an activity we can do together.) Thanks for the recommendations. I will look into those. Any more advice?

Get running shoes anyway.

I like your conclusion, 603. Might as well end the thread.

I can't tell of you're being sarcastic or not.

Even with C25K I believe running shoes are important. I'm an injured runner and part of it is probably from the wrong shoes when I started out. Yeah running shoes are expensive but physical therapy is more. Hit my deductible in late February and exhausted my FSA by May due to PT. The right shoes are 100-150$. A PT session prior to hitting your deductible was 90$.

Nah, I think she was agreeing with you. Or I hope she was—because you're right.

No sarcasm, definitely agreeing with you.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    It's important to find the right shoe for you, not the right shoe the dude at the running store picks out to maximize commish.

If you go to a running-specific store, commission isn't even in the equation. At the best stores, most of the employee are hard-core runners themselves and will fit you for a shoe based on watching you run, your experience level, etc.
  • aliciamaas
    Options
    I see that your exercise regime includes two kinds of exercises - one being strength training and the other cardio. It would be better if you get two different styles of shoes. For strength training, you would need shoes that provides good support to your feet. I have been using nike air max 90 australia for running shoes and they are really good and comfortable. Any store specializing in sportswear would be able to help you pick the right pair of shoes.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »

If you go to a running-specific store, commission isn't even in the equation. At the best stores, most of the employee are hard-core runners themselves and will fit you for a shoe based on watching you run, your experience level, etc.
    Yeah no. I've gone to the best running stores in SF and Boston, all shlepping the same crap.