I want to start going to the gym but...

Options

Replies

• Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Someone may have mentioned this already. When you go to the gym, have a plan. The few times I went without a plan I felt like a lost fart in the wind and it was horrible.

I now follow stronglifts 5x5 so when I go I have a reason, a purpose, a plan.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Just in to say that being shy or embarrassed is not the same thing as being an introvert. I'm an introvert, tested and everything. All that means is that I get my energy from being alone. It does not mean that I can't be around people. That behavior is shyness and shyness can be overcome by jumping on in and just doing it until you are comfortable.

Ultimately, if you want to join a gym, go for it. Book a session or two to learn how to use the equipment so you are more confident. Trust me, no one (who is working hard) at the gym cares about what you are doing.

If it's too much for you, do something at home!
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    What I did was read as much information before hand and watch as many videos as I could before hand. I taught myself everything before going into the gym.

Then once you do that, just say, "**** it" and do it! Lots of gyms will offer you one free introduction training session to help you as well. Take advantage of that.
  • jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Everyone working out at the gym has the same goal. Change. They want to lose weight, they want to bulk up, they want to tone here or there. Everyone's personal goals are different, but the desire for results is the one thing they have in common. Go in, do your thing, bust your *kitten*, strive for results, and I guarantee no one will stare/judge/laugh.

No matter what you do, you'll always be more welcome in the gym than that one dude who sits on the weight bench and updates facebook after every rep.

Good luck, you can do it!
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I think feeling intimidated about going to the gym is totally normal. I know people who weren't overweight, but still felt stressed over going. No one likes to feel like they're being judged based on appearance. It's important to recognize that not every gym suits each person either. Get trial passes to a few different gyms and get a feel for each one before signing up. You might find one with a demographic that doesn't make you feel like an outsider. In high school, I was much more comfortable going to something like CURVES rather than the neighborhood gym where all of my peers went. Now, I had a gym/pool pass at a hotel rather than a traditional gym. Also, most gyms keep track of peak hours. Ask them and they can most likely recommend a time of day when it is less busy, which might help you get acclimated.

Another suggestion is to sign up for group classes somewhere first before joining a gym. It could help you get you used to the idea of working out around strangers but in a less overwhelming way.

You can always work out at home, but I think it's good to put yourself into uncomfortable situations. For me, going to the gym was about more than fitting in a workout. I have workout equipment at home and could've easily sequestered myself there, but going to the gym was about conquering a fear and not letting me put what's best for me aside in order to avoid a little discomfort. I felt like I didn't have a right to be there.

I'm one of the most self-conscious people I know, but eventually the fear kind of subsided. The more you go, the easier it becomes. I even wear my swimsuit in front of total strangers at the pool now. Honestly, some people will stare or whisper, it's just inevitable, but who are they anyway? I just try to use them as motivation to swim faster or pedal harder. Kind of like saying, "yeah, I'm fat, but I can still keep up with you." B)
  • holyfenix
    holyfenix Posts: 99 Member
    Options
  • lsiberian
    Options
    I'm a extroverted former powerlifter with years of strength band training and I was nervous about going to the gym, but I wanted to stop stalling in my home training so I signed up a with a competent personal trainer at the local strongman gym. I started 5 months ago and have never been happier with an exercise program.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hey,

So you'll be fine man its just like anything takes some time to get use to and adjust. I used youtube as my personal trainer and to learn how to do everything can't see how you couldn't do the same thing. I was 355lbs walking into the gym, could barely make it up the stairs...it felt as if everyone was looking at me too.... who gives a *kitten*! *kitten* them they are the ones with a problem.

Also if you live in the Mississauga/ Etobicoke area you're more than welcome to come with me to the gym anytime on the weekends ;) During the week I go to a different location by my office. Feel free to message me if by chance you do live in this area.

Take care,
    Brad
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in "so what"

so what if they snicker- or so what if they chuckle? so what? - ask yourself that and really think about it.
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

so what if they snicker- or so what if they chuckle? so what? - ask yourself that and really think about it.

Amen!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Won't be snickerin' when I set their trailer on fire.

WHAT'S FUNNY NOW DOM?! GO GET YOUR PUMPS NOW BRO!
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Although I've been lifting for around 2 years in the gym; I totally understand how you feel about taking the steps into the gym - you feel intimidated that people are snarking and staring at you for some odd reasons due to your shape or whatever. But when I first went to the gym (yes there are those immature people that do, express their feelings through staring - and there still is on me sometimes) - I simply ignore that BS and focus on your own weight training and when you are working out where there is an adrenaline rush (basically huffing and puffing and sweating), you suddenly don't care how other people react to you.

A tip I would give = bring a pair of headphones/earphones, turn the volume up, forget the world and focus on yourself.

Good luck!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You'll remain intimidated by the gym as long as you continue to remain uneducated about what to do there and insist on avoiding time spent there.

We're all intimidated on the first day of school. To believe that we are all the same on the last day of school as the first day of school, is to believe that we are incapable of adapting, learning and growing as individuals.
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm an introvert and I love the gym. I think the bigger the place is, the less likely you are to have to engage in conversation. Or, if you go to a very small one like I do, once everyone knows your face, and knows that you aren't chatty, they leave you alone. Headphones help enormously - most people respect these. :-)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Pootler74 wrote: »
    I'm an introvert and I love the gym. I think the bigger the place is, the less likely you are to have to engage in conversation. Or, if you go to a very small one like I do, once everyone knows your face, and knows that you aren't chatty, they leave you alone. Headphones help enormously - most people respect these. :-)

Respect The Headphones

It's true :smile:
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Ideally, I would love to start going to the gym. However, going to gym is a bit intimidating to me for a few reasons.
    I recently started going to the gym. like 1 month or so now. the gym I go to everyone is either friendly or ignores you.
    I am worried that I will be overwhelmed and unsure of what to do while I am there to maximize my efforts and will wind up wasting my time.
    The gym i go to you can pay for them to do up an exercise plan. they asked questions like what are you goals etc and gave me a 6 day plan, like 4 sets 6-8 reps of this, 20 mins on that. in a way that each day focuses on different areas so if you work through them all your not doing leg stuff two days in a row so everything gets a break. Maybe your potential gym does the same?
    I am also kind of introverted and don't really like the idea of working out with strangers, the idea makes me very uncomfortable. Going to the gym with a friend would make that easier for me, but right now that does not seem to be an option and I would probably need to go on my own.
    yeah same i didn't like working out with strangers, just plug some head phones in and do it. or probably the better option is to not have head phones in and talk to people, say hi :P most people like i said are friendly or ignore you.

If you have never used the exercise machines, it is VERY important to have a training session. That way you don't injure yourself.
    Most machines i have seen have fairly detailed instructions on the machine. as long as you dont put it on some massive high weight you should be good to give things a go. just stop if it feels wierd or hurts.
    But getting some instructions never hurts.

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Make a plan before you go. It helps tremendously with both aspects (the wandering aimlessly and the worry about other people).

If you go in with a purpose, you will feel more confident. Focusing on your own plan helps you ignore those around you (and headphones too).

Most people at the gym are really just focusing on their own workout. I don't notice other people unless they are being super ridiculous (like screaming loudly, not just normal grunting), being creepy (the old man who likes to wear nothing under their shorts and everyone can see everything), or are on the piece of equipment I'm waiting to use.
  • Krock83
    Krock83 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I joined a new gym back in November and I always find it intimidating too! Thankfully the people at the Y are very nice and I picked a large class and stood in the back until I felt comfortable. I still feel nervous every time a go to a new class or try something new out, but really everyone there is super supportive - especially the instructors. Give it a go!
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite of you. I wouldn't like going to the gym with a friend because I'd be worrying about them, or what they thought of my work-out, etc. When I go, I have a quasi-plan in mind - I head right to the machine(s) I want, stick in my ear buds and work out. I'm in my own little world. It helps that I go so early in the morning because it's not crowded. Maybe you can "test it out" - make an appointment for a tour. I bet once you start you'll be fine. I used to think your way...but I don't pay too much attention to others at the gym and I realize others don't pay too much attention to me. We are all doing our thing. Good luck!
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. I read Starting Strength cover to cover and was all amped up to start lifting...but I felt so stupid and self conscious, even though I know nobody is really paying attention to anything else but their workout.

The way I got around it was going to the gym as soon as they opened, like 4-5am. There was maybe 2 other people there, so it really wasn't too bad. I went early mornings til I felt confident enough to go at a "normal" hour...of course this might be difficult if you're not a morning person. Lol.

Good luck!