I want to start going to the gym but...

Options

Replies

• ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've found some gyms to be more newbie-positive and body-accepting than others. Where I live, it's the YMCA. It's not the fanciest in town, but I've never felt intimidated there.

I will echo what others have said -- shop around. Get a feel for the place before you commit. Different gyms can have different cultures, for lack of a better word. A gym you will feel comfortable going to is better for you than maybe a better-equipped gym that you won't go to.
  • TracyMarie72
    Options
    Not sure where you live, but Good life fitness has coed gyms with women only cardio/weight rooms and classes. Many gyms have this model. They also have free orientations, and ambassadors who you can ask to show how to use the equipment. And people are all on the same journey, so i have found that they are more than willing to show you how if you ask. Believe it or not most people feel the same way when starting at a new gym, and know how hard it is to make the initial commitment to a better you, and the ambassadors and staff are always more than welcoming too. Many fit people had to start somewhere and always remember how tough it was to take that first step. Good luck to you:))
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 70 pounds and I am now in the middle of my healthy weight range. I am at the point in my journey where I know I really need to start incorporating exercise so I can tone up and get lean.

Ideally, I would love to start going to the gym. However, going to gym is a bit intimidating to me for a few reasons. I am worried that I will be overwhelmed and unsure of what to do while I am there to maximize my efforts and will wind up wasting my time. I am also kind of introverted and don't really like the idea of working out with strangers, the idea makes me very uncomfortable. Going to the gym with a friend would make that easier for me, but right now that does not seem to be an option and I would probably need to go on my own.

I don't want to keep using these things as an excuse, but Im not sure how to move past them.

Has anyone else ever felt like this? Any advice you can share?

Thank you!!

Realize that it is a very poor excuse. Be more open minded and flexible.
    It may be that going to a gym is not for you but it is not your only option.
    You don't need to go to a gym to exercise. A gym is full of nice tools to help you exercise but it is not the only way to exercise.
    You can walk, run, hike, or dance outside of a gym. You can climb stairs where you live or work. You can do tons of exercise dvd's or workout videos on You Tube. You can invest in exercise equipment for your home.

I don't go to the gym. If I had the mind set that I had to go to a gym to exercise it would never happen because I would have excuses. I exercise every day though. You just have to decide that you will do it somehow and work around whatever your excuse is. Like if I hurt my foot, I could still do a chair workout.
  • Verysalty
    Verysalty Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 70 pounds and I am now in the middle of my healthy weight range. I am at the point in my journey where I know I really need to start incorporating exercise so I can tone up and get lean.

Ideally, I would love to start going to the gym. However, going to gym is a bit intimidating to me for a few reasons. I am worried that I will be overwhelmed and unsure of what to do while I am there to maximize my efforts and will wind up wasting my time. I am also kind of introverted and don't really like the idea of working out with strangers, the idea makes me very uncomfortable. Going to the gym with a friend would make that easier for me, but right now that does not seem to be an option and I would probably need to go on my own.

I don't want to keep using these things as an excuse, but Im not sure how to move past them.

Has anyone else ever felt like this? Any advice you can share?

Thank you!!

I felt the same about gyms. then about 3 years ago I bit the bullet signed up and got a full induction. I'm pretty awkward as it is, so that was not easy and I thought everyone was judging me etc. But as I go more regularly now I realise no one cares about what any one else is doing. every one is working on their own goals.

When you see your fitness level improve. it feels amazing! I never regret going, but I do regret not going

My advise would be to ask the staff for a full induction, and more advise as a when you need it. Or look at the personal trainer services. Its what they are there for!

I personally am still very intimated by classes. But I went for a short bootcamp course last month and was really impressed. I was admittedly the most unfit there. But my fitness improved by the end, and I learnt a few skills!

Give it a go
  • Verysalty
    Verysalty Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Also get yourself some snazzy gym gear you feel comfy in, and a killer playlist. Sorted!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    The hardest part about going to the gym is setting foot over the entrance, but your not the first person to feel like that, nor will you be the last. As others have said though nobody will be watching you, most go their to work out then go about their day.

Go for it, it will be the best thing you can do

^^This it so well stated!

If you're unsure about how to use the machines, the employees are more than happy to show you and explain settings, set-up instructions, rep range suggestions, etc.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I'd really recommend getting with a trainer, whether you stick with the gym or workout at home. You want to develop good habits, form and technique to make sure you get the results you want without getting hurt.

Classes can be a really good way to just get your feet wet and get yourself into the gym--esp. the Boot Camp classes as they use weights and calisthenics. The instructor should help you with form and the mirrors provide a good way to check yourself.

There are some good resources as well--I read a lot.
    http://www.mensfitness.com/
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/

Adam Bornstein is an LA based trainer. He has great insight, IMHO.
    http://www.bornfitness.com/

I also love Joe Manganiello's book ("True Blood," "Magic Mike"). It's called "Evolution." He has a picture of himself, stick skinny (with Coke-bottle glasses) in the front. :smile: And just look at him now! It includes the nutrition plan to support the workout.

Everyone was a beginner in the gym once. Every big guy, every trainer. No one is born knowing this stuff. It's all learned. And you'll find that most people are willing to spot and share tips as they remember when they were starting out in the gym. :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the same place off and on for 15 years and I still feel out of place. It may be something you acclimate to or it may not. Establish a routine, a safe area, like a class. You'll make "friends" and most people are very supportive.. If it something you want dont be afraid to go get it. Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    bpimks wrote: »
    I am with you on the intimidation factor on stepping in the gym the first time. I was in the same boat. But you know what ? I decided in the end the stares from other people weren't going to hurt me, however being unhealthy was. I basically said "f... it" and went. And you know what? It wasn't that bad. and it doesn't take that long to figure things out.

I think that's a great attitude.

Even if everyone in the gym was focused on you (and they aren't), the "f...it" attitude is much better than the, "Oh, I better not work out, because someone might think mean thoughts about me!" one.

Go with the f...it.

Really, the only reason I've ever looked at other people is because I was bored. Everyone is there for the same reason - to get in better shape (or stay in shape.) You aren't unique in that regard and aren't the first person to walk in for the first time. :)
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you have never used the exercise machines, it is VERY important to have a training session. That way you don't injure yourself.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Most gyms offer a free week trial. Go, try it, see if you like it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Yeah, so... everyone had to start somewhere, and everyone probably at one point had similar excuses.

The big difference between those who do or do not? The ability to realize an excuse is just that, and get on with it. With exposure, you'll become more comfortable and come to realize it's just as much yours as it is everyone else's.

If you want to work out, do it. Enjoy. If you don't want to work out, it's fine to. Just don't be a waffler that talks about wanting to work out, but creates excuses to avoid it. Those are pogues that no one likes.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Some gyms offer a free session with a personal trainer with a gym membership. You could use that free session to learn where everything is and proper form with them. When you sign up ask for a tour also. Many people in the gym are just worried about themselves and won't pay attention to another. Headphones in world out is usually how it goes.

Yes. Personal trainer will teach you how to workout! You don't have to go forever, even a few sessions just to get comfortable will help immensely.

Or try exercise classes!
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I used to feel like this too. Id always join a gym then never commit to going regularly because i felt just as you described. However last year i joined after years and years of not belonging to one and i decided i no longer gave a *kitten* what anyone else thought about me being there lol. I joined for me and everyone else there is also there to help them live healthier lifestyles. If you are afraid of joining and not really knowing what to do, i urge you to join or do one of the week trials thats some gyms offer. And usually gyms always give you a free session of introducing you to the equipment and coming up with some type of plan, and also showing you the proper way to use the equipment. Almost always the first session, sometimes two, are free than after that youd have to trainer. Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Most gyms offer a free week trial. Go, try it, see if you like it.

This.

Also, if you want to go to the gym there should be some reason why you think it would be helpful, which will help you decide what gym to try. For example, some reasons I can think of are (a) want to do cardio but have a hard time doing anything outside this time of year; (b) want to get into weights but don't have access to the equipment/are not sure what to do; (c) want access to a swimming pool; and (d) want some fun classes to do with other people.

Depending on what you are looking for--which you should think about and have in mind--it will affect how you do it. For example, if you just want classes or a pool, that's easy, just find out the relevant hours and the types of classes and go. If you just want cardio, again, easy, check out the gym, see what equipment they have that you enjoy, and if it's available when you will be there, etc., and get started.

The more intimidating thing, for many, is the weights stuff, and in addition to the usual tour and trial period, you'd want to consider whether you want to meet with a trainer(commonly offered as a free perk for new members) and if so you should be ready to explain what you want since otherwise it's not uncommon for them to make assumptions. Or, if you have an idea about what you want to do on your own, it's helpful to have everything ready and in mind before you go--for example, if you want to start a program, have written down the exercises and equipment and do what you can to learn form before you go (YouTube and so on). (IME, the session with a trainer can help with this, though.)
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    I cried and had panic attacks because I was worried would laugh at me. When I opened the door and saw all the pro- I was terrified. I didn't know how to use the machines and I wanted to run away. But all those pro- resulted to be the nicest people I have ever met before. Pity the gym shoot down. :\
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    You'll make "friends" and most people are very supportive..

That's absolutely truth. Everybody has a first day and no one born knowing everything. The most experience users always like giving a hand and advice to those who need it. :)

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Have a plan. Make a specific list of the lifts/exercises you intend to do, and go in there and do them. Having your eye focused on the goal at hand keeps you from wandering, looking lost, or wondering if other people are staring at you (protip: they're not) and feeling embarrassed.

Or if you really want a jump start into the gym, buy one or two personal training sessions, as others have suggested, just to get your feet wet and increase confidence.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. Then I bit the bullet. Most people are not watching you and don't care what you're doing. They're usually engrossed into whatever they're doing and listening to. It's not bad. Everyone's there for similar reasons anyway!
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    You can always call the gym you're considering and ask when they are the most empty and go during those times.

At my gym it's empty between 2-4am. 9-noon. 2-4pm and then again after 9pm.