How useful are the massage chairs at Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    PF. The gym for people who don't want to get fit.

bahahahahahahaha
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    I was really hoping that someone would give me a good reason for these massage chairs to exist within a "gym." As you may have noticed, I try to be very fair when discussing Planet Fitness. I think that there are lot of problems with their philosophy, but I also want to acknowledge the positive things that they do.

Honestly though, I think that the whole concept of a "relaxation zone" within a gym is foolish. That's no way to get results. Some exercises can be relaxing -- a leisurely stroll, for example -- but these tend to be low-effort activities that produce only minor results.

Heck, at the risk of offending some people, I daresay that the obesity problem in this country stems largely from an excess of relaxation. Stress does admittedly come into play, but by and large, poor dietary habits and the avoidance of physical activity are what make people fat.

Tanning beds? Red light therapy? Massage chairs? IMO, none of those things will help people get fit. They just help perpetuate the notion that Planet Fitness only wants to attract people who don't really want to get into shape.

you answered your own question ..

end thread/
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    ...snip...

The tanning beds are clearly inappropriate, given that they're unhealthy and do nothing to promote physical fitness. These amenities, I daresay, only help fuel the notion that PF caters to people who want a relaxing "workout" and aren't really interested in getting fit.

..snip...

When I lived in CT, I was a member of a gym that is your classic meathead gym.
    It was one of the first Gold Gym's in the country, I'm pretty sure the owners used to do roids, they host a lot of the fitness competitions in CT, and I think NPC-CT is based out of there. That said, they have tanning beds. And a sauna. It's not just a PF thing.
    Other gyms I've been to have tanning beds and/or saunas. It's really not that uncommon.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've been to 2 different gyms over the last few years - one a large chain and one the local council-run leisure centre - and they both had tanning booths. The centre was cheap and my current gym is sort of mid-range price wise.

I've also been to a fancy pants golf club on a day pass with a friend who is a member and they had tanning booths. In the north of England, the only way to cheer us up in the constant rain is to take on the colour and texture of a gnarly walnut.

I happen to agree with you that sunbeds aren't conducive to health and fitness, but neither are the muffins and mars bars they sell in the cafe. It's rather irrelevant what those who do not approve of them think.

I would hazard to say that sunbeds are very common in gyms, here, at least. They are frequently used in my gym and there are plenty of bright orange people about to convince me that the facility may even be selling point for some people.

Hope that this convinces you that the tardis of melanoma is widespread and not particular to PF.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    LULZ- we have tanning beds at my gym- and we are about as far away from Planet Fitness as you can get in terms of "type of people that go here"
    - #everyonesongearatmygym
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you look at this thread, I didn't question the use of saunas. Quite the contrary; I posted a link that described their fitness-related benefits.

As for tanning beds though, they are unhealthy and should have no place in a gym. I stand by that.

BTW, I don't think that a single example is sufficient to establish that they are "not that uncommon." At best, this only shows that there is ONE other gym that uses them in addition to PF.

I gave you 2 examples actually.
    Montanari Brothers in CT and all of The Edge Fitness Clubs in CT have tanning beds.
    Montanari Bros and North Haven Health and Raquet have saunas.

I'm in Maine and if I was getting ready to a fitness comp, I'm not going to polar tan (reference to an episode of NCIS). Yeah, tanning beds aren't ideal but they aren't going away
  • JoRocka
    Options
    see my above post- it's pretty common- even in heavy oly/power gyms.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    There is no fitness reason for a gym to have restrooms either.

People join gyms for many non-fitness reasons-- social, aesthetics, stress relief, etc.

If you don't like it, join a different gym, one that suits your business/moral sense better.

LOL, you must have never squatted once in your life.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    or done double unders.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Hi, It sounds like you are doing some kind of sociology experiment or psychology experiment to engage people in discussion and debate. Perhaps going to the forums on debate.org might be an interesting place to discuss the massage chairs?
    lulz.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    There is no fitness reason for a gym to have restrooms either.

People join gyms for many non-fitness reasons-- social, aesthetics, stress relief, etc.

If you don't like it, join a different gym, one that suits your business/moral sense better.

LOL, you must have never squatted once in your life.
    Lemme guess... 'restrooms'... 'squat joke'? Good one. High school rocked. :D

I do kettlebell squats. I don't need a rack.

Christmas give for you, Dave. (You've gotta be a Dave.)
    http://squattypotty.com/
  • JoRocka
    Options
    sophomoric high school jokes are the best.

The older I get the funnier fart jokes get. Seriously. How could you ever leave all that behind?!?!?!

heh- behind.

get it.
  • dbmata
    Options
    More like if you get a heavy weight on your back, and have anything loaded in the bottom end, it might come out during the lift. So you drop the kids off at the pool prior to getting the lift on, and thanks to caffeine, sometimes those signals come mid set. It is quite disasstrous to ignore them.

Yes, I am Dave.

3ojr6y75c87d.jpg
  • dbmata
    Options
    Christmas give for you, Dave. (You've gotta be a Dave.)
    http://squattypotty.com/

I don't even...

... and I thought a bidet was dumb.