Options
12346»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    I don't know which state is a big squash producer but it's nice to have a claim to fame.

Illinois, apparently, for the canned sort. I just thought it was funny when I ran across this fact when looking up pumpkin on wiki somewhat recently (the things that come up over dinner!). Of course, it's possibly not true, but it seems like the kind of thing that wiki would be reliable about rather than some kind of hot button political thing.

Anyway, I wasn't intending to accuse you of being anti-processed in some kind of obsessive or mindless way, and I'm sorry if it came across that way, just my train of thought to when I used to be opposed to cans in principle. We ate lots of canned veggies when I was a kid (probably winter, but I really can't recall having any other kind of green bean), and I think that's one reason I didn't appreciate them nearly as much as I do now. Canned veggies do mostly tend to be on my things I don't eat anymore list.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    sheepotato wrote: »
    I don't know which state is a big squash producer but it's nice to have a claim to fame.

We ate lots of canned veggies when I was a kid (probably winter, but I really can't recall having any other kind of green bean), and I think that's one reason I didn't appreciate them nearly as much as I do now. Canned veggies do mostly tend to be on my things I don't eat anymore list.

Canned green beans are absolutely vile! I still have nightmares over that taste.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Spam fritters were ok back then, I find them pretty vile now.

But I've always hated eat brawn and tripe *Mr Burns shudder*

I make a sort of 'brawn' from a whole rabbit for my husband, but I can't face boiling a pig's head. I even bought one once and put it in the freezer, but I'm ashamed to say it ended up in the bin.

Like Ribbittee, we used to have white bread to mop up the gravy (heavy on the cornflour and Oxo) after a roast dinner too. Wouldn't do that now.

We used to eat a lot of boil in the bag sausages and ham shanks and things, very salty pork products.

My Mum also used to make pasta, with smoked bacon, cream cheese and sour cream. I loved that as a kid and still ate it as a young adult. I think I'd yack if I tried to eat it again.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Anyway, I wasn't intending to accuse you of being anti-processed in some kind of obsessive or mindless way, and I'm sorry if it came across that way, just my train of thought to when I used to be opposed to cans in principle.

Oh I didn't think that at all. I meant to agree that eating fresh food does not mean that I'm some sort of processed food hater, but it's easy to get on a slippery slope with things like that. I am just thankful that I have the option to eat better than I did growing up, instead of burdened by it. I should really stop writing long spiels like that when I'm sleepy.

Ribbittee wrote: »
    I tried to make it for my ex when we first got married and he informed me that we didn't have to eat like it was the Great Depression.

Haha I love that!